Is UCSF a "gay friendly" med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squat n Squeeze

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because I haven't come out yet in the application process. As a bisexual male, this is a factor that might have some impact on my decision of which medical school to attend. So far, I have been accepted to Wash U, UCSF, and two DO schools which I have already turned down. I haven't heard from my top choice yet, but they don't have rolling admissions and I probably won't hear from them for several months. I know that UCSF is an excellent school, but I would prefer to attend a higher ranked institution. Would being gay adversely affect my medical school experience at other top 10 schools? I know that San Francisco has a large gay community, but does the medical school reflect this trait? As you can see, I'm in quite a pickle here.

Members don't see this ad.

seems like a no-brainer. if you are smart enough to get into UCSF and Washington U, you should be smart enough to know that san francisco is much much much much much much much more gay friendly than st. louis.

Originally posted by nuclearrabbit77
seems like a no-brainer. if you are smart enough to get into UCSF and Washington U, you should be smart enough to know that san francisco is much much much much much much much more gay friendly than st. louis.

But is there anywhere that I could find statistics on these figures?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a top... or a power bottom?

Originally posted by Squat n Squeeze
But is there anywhere that I could find statistics on these figures?

Bend over and I'll give you some warm creamy stats on it.

Originally posted by What the pho
Bend over and I'll give you some warm creamy stats on it.

Bring it on b*tch.;)

Bring it on b*tch.;)
I like it when you talk dirty. I'm going to have to spank you for being naughty.:mad:

I like it when you talk dirty. I'm going to have to spank you for being naughty.:mad:

Just don't go too hard baby.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have to warn you I'm not bi, I'm tri sexual (try anything).:mad:

Squat N Squeeze, I think it's hard for people to take you seriously now, but come on, San Francisco and St. Louis....that's not a one million dollar question

Higher ranked school? Give me a break. Tell me your joking about this...

:rolleyes:

I think squat would enjoy that very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that UCSF is an excellent school, but I would prefer to attend a higher ranked institution.

I hope you get rejected.

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1
Higher ranked school? Give me a break. Tell me your joking about this...

:rolleyes:

UPenn, Duke, Hopkins, Harvard....

I'm counting the days.

Also, Wash U is higher ranked, but I'm just not sure if I want to go there.

...if you count US News rankings as the final word, but UCSF can be ranked ahead of most of those schools if criteria differed even a little.

I'm sure UCSF wouldn't want a guy like you, anyway. You'd be perfect at Harvard, or another uptight East Coast institution. :laugh:

I thought UCSF doesn't even accept applicants until December 15, according to MSAR...:confused: :laugh:

Originally posted by DoctorWannaBe
I thought UCSF doesn't even accept applicants until December 15, according to MSAR...:confused: :laugh:

I got the phone call this afternoon.

uhhh...that's what i thought too...i interviewed there and they said they wouldn't be sending out any acceptances till the 15th of december....

when did you interview?

Hey you shouldn't go to UCSF. When people say, "He's a Harvard man," that sounds way better than, "He's a University of California, San Francisco man."
Seriously.

Say it to the hand.

I think ur hand is probably busy with other matters.

Dude, it's random. First of all, you're not gonna find stats on how gay-friendly a place is. No one goes around and asks med school administrators how many gay people are in your entering class. And even if you did, would you believe the stats? How many closets do you thing there are?

Just because San Francisco is full of gay people doesn't mean one damn bit how friendly the med school class is gonna be. Yeah, maybe the Frisco community might be hip with it, but your med school class is gonna be extremely diverse with people from ALL backgrounds including homophobic and including those who would love to have good friends who just happen to be gay. You're not gonna know until you get there.

When you get to med school, if you try your best to be people's friends, they'll reciprocate and be your friend. That's the simplest I can put it. Everyone who pays lips service to being "gay-friendly" or homophobic will change when they (finally) get to know who you are and what you're about.

Go to UCSF if you have a chance, not because of the school, but because of the city. Wash U and UCSF are the same. Everyone's gonna say "Wow" when you graduate. It ain't gonna matter that one is ranked X and the other X-1. You'll probably lead a normal life if you live in SF, just because you'll be able to find a better established community there than in St. Louis. Congrats.

i think at this point its obvious he's a phony. but it was entertaining at least.

I got the phone call this afternoon.

Gee.....I have never heard of anyone getting a phone call from UCSF until the very last days in summer when pulling people off the wait list. Just amazing SNS that UCSF must want you so badly that they not only accepted you and only you before December but actually CALLED you. Wow.

I don't even have to ask you to please not come here because YOU AREN'T.

I think you two need to go to an entirely different website for that conversation.

As a complete ***-hag myself, I would much prefer to be in a gay friendly environment like SF, so I could only imagine that you would prefer it, too. I, however, received my rejection letter from UCSF today, so my chances of becoming a fabulous med student fruit fly extraordinaire have been crushed. Super, thanks for asking.

I now officially like Mr squat 1 ounce more.

god he's a clown. haha :clap: :clap: :clap:

in case nobody understands, squat's a fake, duh. time and time again he's been caught in lies; that said, he's the best board troll i've ever seen and is just what premeds need to keep the process in perspective. craps off to you squat!

PS- if you ever decide to quit the board i humbly request that you post an "all revealed" thread where you expose yourself for the closeted trucker named earl that you are- it doesnt even have to be real, just funny

I think he trolls a lot but I actually believe he's applying to med school....is that possible?

He just BS. UCSF does not give out acceptance until Dec 15, at the earliest. I bet he does not even get the secondary.:eek: :eek:

I know that UCSF is an excellent school, but I would prefer to attend a higher ranked institution.

Isn't UCSF generally considered to be among the top five schools in the country, by just about any measure? Maybe USNews had a grudge or something.

I love you squatty... I hope you find the love of your life at UCSF!!

SnS is by far the funniest applicant on SDN

:clap:

I would like to see a duel between moops and Squat! That would be the worlds funniest thread. What do you guys think? Should I start a thread entitled moops vs squat - the ultimate test of comedic brilliance?

I thought top 10 schools loved people that were anal about stuff!:laugh:

does anyone know if the UCSF committee meets periodically (eg. every week/month) to make decisions?

did anyone get any info as to how the process works there?

When I interviewed there late October, they said that they will send the first batch of acceptances December 15th. However, they said we would have to wait eight weeks until we heard anything and it won't be quite 8 (maybe 7). They also said that they will send acceptances out on the 15th of every month afterwords and that waitlisters and rejectees will hear at the earliest Jan 1st. If you can't tell, I know all this stuff 'cuz it's my first choice.

From what they told me, they make a small handful of calls during this time. In the phone call, they basically told me that I would be seeing an acceptance letter within the next few days. They also conveyed that I should "Strongly consider UCSF over some of the Ivy schools," and that I am a "jewel in a sea of monotonous applications." They also spent some time telling me that a medical education at SF is a stellar academic experience that can rival any Ivy educational experience and that I should be aware that while they are a state school, "a degree from SF carries just as much prestige as one from an Ivy." They also told me that they will be "looking forward to seeing me next year."

While I agree that they offer a great medical education, I disagree with it holding as much prestige as an Ivy.

....and that I am a "jewel in a sea of monotonous applications."

Come on, how can you not love this guy? All pretenders to the throne be damned, this guy is the undisputed king.... :clap:

Squat n' Squeeze,

As a potential future psychiatrist, I wanna interview you as a subject to see what kind of satisfaction do you get by making up all these stories and keeping on fooling everyone even those your lies were exposed.

Interested?

i've heard that UCSF accepts about 50% of its interviewees - does this number include those accept off the waitlist too?

From what they told me, they make a small handful of calls during this time. In the phone call, they basically told me that I would be seeing an acceptance letter within the next few days. They also conveyed that I should "Strongly consider UCSF over some of the Ivy schools," and that I am a "jewel in a sea of monotonous applications." They also spent some time telling me that a medical education at SF is a stellar academic experience that can rival any Ivy educational experience and that I should be aware that while they are a state school, "a degree from SF carries just as much prestige as one from an Ivy." They also told me that they will be "looking forward to seeing me next year."

While I agree that they offer a great medical education, I disagree with it holding as much prestige as an Ivy.

I have to admit that this is just plain funny. Total BS? Sure. But hilarious. :laugh:

Originally posted by medhopeful08
i've heard that UCSF accepts about 50% of its interviewees - does this number include those accept off the waitlist too?

For answers to this and similar serious questions and comments regarding UCSF please revive the UCSF thread.

Originally posted by medhopeful08

From that post a while back, 50% is about right, and is the TOTAL number accepted:

Applied: 4832
Interviewed: 496
Accepted: 262
Enrolled: 141

Hey Squat n Squeeze,

I have some info for you that might help you make a decision. There is a gay bar within walking distance of the Wash U medical school. I'm sure you'd feel quite at home there.

S & S should go to see Michael Jackson as soon as possible, he can take care of his problems. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:eek: :clap: :eek: Come on, Michael Jackson has been a pedophile for years. I think SnS may be a little "too big" in some areas for MJ