Is Undergrad Research Necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anee1984

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My top choice for dental school is UCSF for location and financial reasons. Is doing undergrad research an unspoken requirement for acceptance at UCSF? The reason I ask is because I really don't have any substantial experience in research. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've gathered so far, I don't think you research experience to apply is required for dental schools except Havard. But it probably will help in term of getting letter of reference and boosting up your application.

Define "substantial"? I don't think they are looking for you to have been the lead investigator on the development of a new HIV medication, just to have had some exposure to how research is conducted so that you have some idea of how to apply what you learn. A semester or two of work as an assistant position would be more than what most applicants have. Also you should keep in mind that unless they explicity ask for it, really research experience is only application padding (basically, it's not going to get you in the door if the rest of your application stinks) and conversation fodder for the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had none and was accepted

do you think this might impress harvard, if i do part-time volunteer,not for credit research, all throughout this school year (junior) and work part-time during the summer before the senior year, in the same lab, on campus. in the senior year i will work in the same lab but get credit for the research put in, but i bet the senior year will be too late as my application will be processed during the summer. should i have a paper published before the end of the summer, or i'm out?

Why do you want to go to Harvard? It's overpriced and the quality of the education (unless you want to do academic research or teaching after graduation) is no better than any other school. You're paying for the name, and unlike law, once you graduate 99.99% of your patients could give a rat's ass where you went to school.