is usa the best place to do medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dayz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
An American student (interested in international medicine and working on an international level) goes to medical school at Oxford University, England.
How do American med students, med schools, doctors, etc regard that? Is it better to go to an okay US med school or is it prestigous to go to Oxford med school?

What do people think?

thanks,
daisy

Members don't see this ad.

If my doctor said he went to Oxford, I'd be impressed. That doesn't count for much, but the name IS impressive...

it is best to go wherever they will let you in to med school

the UK curriculum is structured completely differently from the US system. My guess is that it would be very difficult, even with dual citizenship, to get into Oxford.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although it has the name wow factor, it would probably be a real pain in the ### to go through the licensing as opposed to just doing it here. I can't speak for the english system, but medical educ. here in the US is pretty similar regardless of what adcoms will say. I mean, all allopathic students take the same boards and study from the same books for the most part. It's the 3rd and 4th year where the difference comes into play.

blah, blah, blah... back to the point. if you can get into oxford, you could surely get into a good school in the US, definitely a better option if you want to practice here.

MeowMix said:
it is best to go wherever they will let you in to med school

the UK curriculum is structured completely differently from the US system. My guess is that it would be very difficult, even with dual citizenship, to get into Oxford.

some of my friends there are telling me that they aren't studying enough :confused:

I think it'd be a pretty stupid move. oxford is a great university, but if you are american and plan on practicing in america, then go to school in america. even if you're planning on international work, training in the US is a better idea.

you should study where you intend to practice. I myself ignored that rule, and will have to go through the hassle of being a foreign grad, but to me, it was worth it. Oxford and Cambridge would probably be quite difficult to get into...there's not that many openings for non-EU/non-UK foreign students. Plus, you'd be competing with the brightest of the UK system. I think they have a separate entrance exam you have to complete, either their own designed one, or something like the GAMSAT.

You are a complete fool....................Oxford Shmoxford..........enroll at the XiangXu Fan University of Medicine in China.............you will be the best doctor in the wholest widest biggest gigantistist world.
Forget american schools, UK schools.......go to CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINA.
You can also finance your schooling by teaching english.
:laugh:

I will say go to medical school in the country where you may want to practice. Yes, Oxford is great and well-respected but you will still be considered a FMG outside the UK.