What is the best way to identify high output research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M1 interested in a competitive surgical specialty and am trying to get involved in research. I know that research and publications is paramount for these programs and I hear every now and then about medical students with dozens of publications by the time they apply for residency. I fully understand that these students get involved in multiple projects with quick turnaround times, so I'm wondering what is the best way to be search for such projects and be able to identify them before getting deeply involved in them? What are the indicators/factors to look out for? similarly, what are some other important considerations about getting involved in research in the most productive/effective way that are often overlooked? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to current M4s who applied to programs from your school this year and find out who they worked with

Reactions: 2 users
Word of mouth tends to be best. You can also pubmed search your faculty though remember that usually by the time something is actually indexed that project has been done for a long time. But if you have some faculty with a long record of consistent results - especially papers with student lead authors - then that’s also a good sign.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have an office for student research? Can you get copies of past med student research days and find some patterns when it comes to students presenting posters or talks? I would presume the student research office knows which PI's tend to be very popular and very productive.

Reactions: 1 user