Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is UTMB Selective?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bluesTank, May 7, 2007.

1. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie

Medical Student
    How hard is it to get into UTMB Galveston?

I am dying to go there, and I apply this summer, so I was just wondering what the chances are. If I got in there, I would be the happiest person in the world (for various reasons), I'm just not sure how picky they are.

Any comments?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TexPre-Med

TexPre-Med Banned
    Banned

Medical Student
    I would say its on the more difficult side of the 100-some med schools. Not impossible, but you need good scores and a TX residency.

4. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    The admissions data are fairly similar to the other UT schools sans Dallas. Texas residency with a 30 plus MCAT will give you decent odds assuming that your grades don't harbor any red flags.

5. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Your 3.9/30, coupled with the fact that you are a URM should get you into UTMB. But, there are so many other variables in this process that there are no guarantees. Best of luck.

6. aggiesarah2007

Medical Student
    I agree you have a pretty good shot, but you MUST apply early. You seem to have strong ec's, so hopefully you've written a stellar ps. Just prep with OPSA's help for the interviews, let them know you want to be there, but also don't forget about the other schools. There is a thread where they posted the numbers from this years different match. (search texas match numbers I think). That will give you an idea how this year went. Good luck!

7. scgroat

scgroat New Member

Pre-Medical
    Are you kidding! Let me massage your ego a bit. You should be competitive at any school in Texas, including Southwestern and Baylor. But you already know that. Nonetheless, I guess we all sometimes seek the approval of others by asking questions we already know the answers to. As for getting into a particular school, there is no guarantee. It doesn't have to with the school's stats, though. It's just that there is no such thing as a back up school. They died out in undergrad. One word of warning, sound like a human being in your personal statement. That's the only thing that could go wrong.

8. anonymous101

Pre-Medical
    MCAT >30, GPA >3.4 and Texas Resident and you're a shoe-in.

9. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Oh man - you're so wrong it's not even funny. Do you know how many people with scores above that didn't match this year? Scores and grades alone won't make any school a sure-thing.

OP: Yeah, UTMB is somewhere in the middle as far as Texas schools go. I think you should be fine. (Just a word to the wise though: Go into this process with an open mind. UTMB was my first choice going in and I ended up really disliking the school. I had a bad experience there. Before I even started applying I thought I would hate Baylor and I ended up loving it. I think sometimes you don't know til you actually visit a school. Even UTSW, which I railed about before interviewing, I found tolerable once I got there, probably because Potato51 is just such a cool guy.)

10. rowdyrock

rowdyrock Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm with Anastasis on this one. A LOT of people with similar stats got burned this year. Not that 30 and 3.4 would keep you from getting in--its just makes it more of a crap shoot.

But OP should be fine

11. potato51

Attending Physician
    UTMB rejected me outright, so obviously they've got their heads on straight ;)

But seriously, you have a good shot - just apply early.

She doesn't lie.

12. YupGypsy

YupGypsy Banne*d for Tr*olling

Why are you dying to go there?

And Anesthasias, why was UTMB your first choice? What changed your mind?

13. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Though not my top choice, UTMB was initially very high on my list (higher than UTSW, where I ended up.) For me, it was Galveston, itself, that was the big turn-off. Seems like a truly miserable place to spend 4+ years.

14. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Uh, that's the most interesting spelling of my username I've ever seen ;)

I really liked the curriculum at UTMB at first glance but like Jota, I just discovered I really didn't like UTMB. Plus I didn't get the "gut reaction" I was looking for at UTMB. Don't get me wrong, it's a great school, it's just not for me.

15. razordocWPS

Medical Student
    Couldn't agree more... MCAT = 35, GPA = 3.63, Texas Resident.... Waitlist

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Jay11jayjay

Pre-Medical
    OP is probably halfway through his residency by now :p

aich likes this.