is W an evil letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Do any of you think that having one W (withdraw from course) on your record (first semester physics) is a problem for med schools? I had a serious situation come up which is necessitating me dropping the course this semester, but I am loathe to do it.

I am otherwise a good student, for reference.

Would appreciate any serious reponses, esp. from anyone who's been there or has experience with med school admissions' opinion(s) on this matter.

Thanks a lot-

Members don't see this ad.

Not nearly as evil as Q,

Q just looks like a shifty letter

If you don't have too many of those.

If you are able to explain during your interview why dropped the course( I had to and I had a pretty good reason )

Usually the W goes away if you take the course again next semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Premedtomed said:
Usually the W goes away if you take the course again next semester.

The W will still show up on your transcripts if you drop after the first 10-14 days of the semester. I know because I dropped Biology II in the middle of the semester and then took it again the next semester. I think as long as you don't have more than a couple you are fine. Medical Schools understand that things happen to students causing them to drop courses.

Good Luck

Personally i think Z is the most evil letter, it is just so crooked.

iam said:
Hello all,

Do any of you think that having one W (withdraw from course) on your record (first semester physics) is a problem for med schools? I had a serious situation come up which is necessitating me dropping the course this semester, but I am loathe to do it.

Would appreciate any serious reponses, esp. from anyone who's been there or has experience with med school admissions' opinion(s) on this matter.

Thanks a lot-
one W = no big deal

;)

One (or even two, I'm told) withdraws is fine. Just be prepared to explain, although I dont' think one wd will come up.

Now, if you're referring to the other W, the one who's trying to LIE, CHEAT, and STEAL himself into the WH aging....that's another story.

You'll be fine,

BH

iam said:
Hello all,

Thanks a lot-

it's quite likely that this will never even be an issue for most schools. at most, you may get a few softball questions about it and just be honest about what happened. it should be fine.
I have a pretty well-explained serious blemish on my record that was discussed in my committee letter, and it's come up at all of my interviews. every one was very nice about it. of course, i haven't actually gotten into these schools yet, but the interviewers gave me the impression that they were going to defend me to the adcom. so yeah, don't worry. things like withdrawals and repeated classes are a lot more common, especially at tough schools, than you might think.

cool- thanks for the feedback. perfectionism is torture, especially when you are as imperfect as me...

I'm dropping some courses this semester because I pretty much screwed myself out of A's. A or nothing, considering I got C's last time I took them.

Adcoms should never assume that a W means you withdrew due to a bad grade. Perhaps the grade would have been a B. Or perhaps things just weren't working well for that semester.

I actually withdrew from a whole semester but I had a good reason to......even with this on my record, I have gotten 5 interviews and been placed on the waitlist at 3 of these so far......so i dont think you have anything to worry about

Short answer: no.
Slightly longer answer: uh ... no.

Nope. I had three withdrawals as an undergrad. One was because I realized I could test out of the class, and the later two were because I was just overloaded. Later, I withdrew from one of my postbacc prereqs, and later repeated the class for a C+. That's FOUR withdrawals. Still got in. Don't worry about it.