Is welfare an option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

critterbug

I like big buttz. No Lie!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. Can a single medical/dental student making no income, having little or no assets (except car) and living off loans qualify for some form of welfare? Medicaid, food stamps, etc?

I did a search, and there wasn't many topics on this subject. If this is a viable option, I don't see why more students wouldn't explore this possiblity.

Members don't see this ad.

The government is already giving you the opportunity to go to medical school by guaranteeing your loans. Why would anyone want a handout?

But if you insist on being on welfare..
a) get pregnant or
b) shove pencils into your eye sockets (guaranteed to put you on disability)

Oh, I am laughing so hard right now.

But this is a good question. Anyone know the answer?

Funny, funny.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a full time student excludes you from participating in those government programs. Somehow, the government thought of this before we did. ;)

Originally posted by Kalel
Being a full time student excludes you from participating in those government programs. Somehow, the government thought of this before we did. ;)

Sure about that? I've heard of full time students receiving welfare (food stamps, housing, medicaid), but usually they have a family to support.

I think it is almost impossible if you are single and living off govt. stafford loans.

But I don't know, which is why I brought up the topic.

getting medicaid is easy, i know quite a few here and at other schools that have medicaid. getting food stamps is possible but i think they look at your assets a bit closer.
I don't know about housing though...

why would we do it? because our school insurance is outrageously expensive, medicaid is free....and i'll be paying more than enough back in the future. :)
The way i look at it is that programs like this exist for people like us...we could use some help now but soon enough we'll be contributing back (and then some)

Originally posted by jhug
getting medicaid is easy, i know quite a few here and at other schools that have medicaid. getting food stamps is possible but i think they look at your assets a bit closer.
I don't know about housing though...

why would we do it? because our school insurance is outrageously expensive, medicaid is free....and i'll be paying more than enough back in the future. :)
The way i look at it is that programs like this exist for people like us...we could use some help now but soon enough we'll be contributing back (and then some)

Thanks. I'll look into it then.

Most institutions will not let you enroll without having insurance or taking the schools insurance.

Ed

my school is letting me use medicaid as insurance.

hey jhug, how did u go about getting medicaid. Where do u go .....etc.....

I thought in order to get medicaid you must be pregnant, have children or be disabled?

Ryo-Ohki said:
Disclaimer: I was just kidding about the pencil in the eye socket thing. Don't do it.

Agreed. Learn to control your Oedipal urges.

I can't believe I am reading about the smartest, brightest, the future of our healthcare talking about going on welfare while in medical school!

Didn't you KNOW you'd be without an income for several years? Why didn't you PREPARE for this? Why are some of you having children when you don't have an income????

Did you consider other schools where the cost of living is lower?? I get so sick and tired of hearing about my classmates living off the system. My husband and I SAVED for these years. I had no parents to help. I worked my butt off teaching high-school so I could afford this when the time came. Yeah, I take out loans for tuition. No, I don't borrow extra.

It's not society's job to help you live a little better while you are fortunate enough to be studying to become a physician! Most of these people are blue-collar, hard-working people who will NEVER make as much as you will...and probably don't make as much as you do now when you factor in all your loans. And, you expect them to give you handouts?? You are expecting aid from people who just make enough to NOT qualify for these benefits - but make too little to provide some necessities. You are expecting aid from people who can't even afford to save for their own children....but they can provide for you and yours? How can that be right?

I saw classmates who had 2, then three, then four children...while in school. Yeah, how else are those kids going to get healthcare? But, you know what? I saw those classmates come to class with their DVD/Laptops and watch DVD's in class every single day. Gee - how much does it cost for a DVD per day? I saw these people come in all the time with their new electronic gadgets.....Gee - where is MY palm??? I saw these people driving their great-big-ol SUV's (Hmmm...why not try to save a little on gas and insurance???). How much does it cost to go out for lunch every day? It made me sick. Oh, and I forgot about the cell phones! Wow - did you all know that a cell phone is a requirement to go to medical school? What gives you the right to live off of other people's hard work?

I feel strongly about this because my husband is self-employeed and works his butt off - only to be taxed more when he makes more. Yeah, we absolutely LOVE writing out those checks on April 15th. When we decided to have our daughter, it was because we were ready and because we could AFFORD it. Otherwise, we'd still be waiting. We've busted a$$ to save for these years, and now we are saving for if we have to move for residency. It's called RESPONSIBILITY.

Yes, you will pay back every cent - but you'll pay that back to another state unless you practice where you were receiving the aid. It's not right for you to move somewhere for medical school, take the taxpayer's money - then go out west/east/north/south and make a wad of money and it all goes to wherever you are living.

Another thing that chaps me is the docs who used public aid while in medical school...who complain about all their medicaid patients!

Think before you go on welfare. You may not think it matters - you are just one person/one family, whatever. But, there are really hard-working people out there who are barely making it. Why should YOU be the one to get this aid? Have a little pride.

Kalel said:
Yea, the government only pays if you sit at home on your couch and do nothing all day long, except watching reruns of Jerry Springer.

How long did it take you to get approved for Medicaid?
I totally hear you about insurance rates (especially health insurance). My medical school requires us to carry their health insurance which is essentially like having nothing at all. And if I were to get sick or need to have a simple operation (ie lap chole, etc), essentially, I fit the bill at my school. Has anyone checked out the premiums and monthly payments for BCBS health insurance for a single person (They are insane)? So I can definitely see how people would want to apply for Medicaid when you don't have any income other than student loans, you are single, and you don't have parents who fit the bill for you.

Kalel said:

Which I find funny because a student has a higher probablity of getting off the program than say a pipe fitter.

Elle,

I know of families in which more than one person could have gone to med school, but for the incredibly high cost. I've also heard many people say (countless on SDN) that they'd go into primary care were it not for their astronomical loans.

Regardless of what you think of the rationale or motivations, if more people become physicians or go into primary care because welfare's available to them, I don't see how it's causing anything but social benefit.

As for your veiled suggestion that people shouldn't have children when they know they're not going to have any income for a few years, well gosh. Children are also a social plus, and in particular children of the bright and socially motivated sort of people that go into medicine. If a little funding from society enables some of my classmates to become doctors while raising children, more power to them. If you force a choice between children and medicine, some people will pick children, and rightfully so, and society will be poorer for it because we have the resources to allow both.

passionate response...i couldn't agree more with some of what you said...i couldn't disagree more with other parts...
Do i hate seeing people "living off the system" YES!!! i see it all too much.
Do i think medicaid/welfare exists for people like us, yes! It is a MOMENTARY aid used (or at least intended) to help us out in our time in need, with the design of enabling us to give back to the system in future taxes. Do i hate having kids on medicaid NO WAY!!! Will i hate paying almost 50% to taxes in the next 7 years...sure, but i'll look back on this time and hope my money is going toward as good a cause as future physicians (and not future jerry springer guests).
For too many government aid is an "income", for me and my family it is a means to an end that i will pay back ten-fold (and then some)