Is work study during MS-1 at all practical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avandreel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I couldn't find anything really recent regarding this, so I figured I would post.
I'm going to be an MS-1 at CCOM this fall, and must have checked the box 'interested in work study' or whatever when I was filling out my financial aid package. I think at the time, I just thought that they would give me more information to decide later, but it looks like it is actually figured into my budget for the year. One of my biggest concerns is being able to dedicate myself to my coursework, and I really am not willing to sacrifice grades/performance just to make a little bit of money.
So, I am wondering if anyone has advice on how do-able work study would be during school, or if I should maybe try and get out of it, or anything else is appreciated...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I advise against it; the students who I know of in my class who work while in medical school are not performing well academically, which is not a surprise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I advise against it; the students who I know of in my class who work while in medical school are not performing well academically, which is not a surprise.

I am on work study and doing very well in class. It is all about time management and knowing your priorities.

Hey all, I couldn't find anything really recent regarding this, so I figured I would post.
I'm going to be an MS-1 at CCOM this fall, and must have checked the box 'interested in work study' or whatever when I was filling out my financial aid package. I think at the time, I just thought that they would give me more information to decide later, but it looks like it is actually figured into my budget for the year. One of my biggest concerns is being able to dedicate myself to my coursework, and I really am not willing to sacrifice grades/performance just to make a little bit of money.
So, I am wondering if anyone has advice on how do-able work study would be during school, or if I should maybe try and get out of it, or anything else is appreciated...
Thanks

I would call and ask what jobs are available ASAP. Most are first come first serve. At NYCOM, the workstudy students work in the quiet study room to make sure it's only students that are in tehre (which basically means that they sit at the desk by the desk at the door, and study, and ignore everyone that walks in anyway). Or else, they work in the gym (which no one goes to, so they study) or the library, which requires more work, but they still just study. Pretty much you're getting paid to study in all cases.

It's a lot more doable than a regular job. At my school we have work study jobs where you get paid to study, such as manning the front desk or watching the anatomy lab. Other more involved jobs are working for faculty, which is still flexible since you don't have to work if you're busy.

Personally, I would just take the loans instead. You may not work up to the $2000 limit with work study if you're really busy and it's a drop in the bucket with what you will pay back in the end (although every little bit helps in some way). You can just go to your FA office and tell them you want to drop the work study and pick up the GradPLUS in it's place (I did this at my school without any difficulty).

While these types of jobs are doable when compared with regular work, I would not recommend having a job while in school. Now I don't know you or your work ethic, but I would study my a$$ off your first and second year. It is all about the class rank and board scores, especially if you are going to be considered for more competitive residencies.

That said, I stongly recommend against it.

I value the little free time I have WAAAY to much to do a work study. If it were up to me (maybe you work differently) I would run like hell.

No way..what is a part time job gonna get you? You are more likely to lose money if you do bad in school and end up repeating stuff. Medical school is a full time job, if you are that keen on a job you should pursue that over the summer.

Med school is not a part-time endeavor. The piddling amount of money you'll make in a work-study program, in my opinion, doesn't justify the time taken away from your studies. Just get buried in debt like the rest of us and choose a lucrative speciality to get out of debt ASAP. :D

Although, it's not advised, as long as you manage your time well and you study efficiently, you can work 8 hours a week in my opinion. I also suggest that you work in a library, anatomy lab etc with little work so that you can study while you work.

Different people have different financial circumstances. Although making few hundred bucks might not make sense when you are taking out huge loans, some people do need to make some cash while in school. Can working hurt you academically? sure.. but some people waste time watching tv, going online, going out... it's all about your time management.

Although, it's not advised, as long as you manage your time well and you study efficiently, you can work 8 hours a week in my opinion. I also suggest that you work in a library, anatomy lab etc with little work so that you can study while you work.

Different people have different financial circumstances. Although making few hundred bucks might not make sense when you are taking out huge loans, some people do need to make some cash while in school. Can working hurt you academically? sure.. but some people waste time watching tv, going online, going out... it's all about your time management.

That would be relaxing and its vital during med school to give yourself a break. Trust me you will recover your losses later..forget the job.

That would be relaxing and its vital during med school to give yourself a break. Trust me you will recover your losses later..forget the job.

haha.. well that would be true. I didn't meant to say that relaxing is a waste but
for some people, they need to work during school. If you are fortunate enough financially, good for you. For others, they need to work even though we are taking out loans.

Find out how your work study works too. I believe at NYCOM (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) you only can take work study if you don't take out max loans. You can "work" for the difference. So basically your options are 1. Do no work, and just get the money through loans and pay it back later, 2. Work for the money, and you don't have to pay it back later. Either way, it's the same amount in your pocket, so it really just depends on what's a better deal for you. (No one else can answer that part for you, you have to decide what's best. Some people just need to work to keep themselves sane. Others can't).

haha.. well that would be true. I didn't meant to say that relaxing is a waste but
for some people, they need to work during school. If you are fortunate enough financially, good for you. For others, they need to work even though we are taking out loans.

You are misinterpreting my intentions...despite the hardships gradplus loans will maximize your loans at your demand. I know the interest rates have skyrocketed but it would be counterproductive if you fail school, i never assume that people have a natural ability to pass medical school right out of the gate..it actually involves hardwork and hard work requires time thus my conclusion: a job can wait unless you are willing to gamble your grades..i will listen to all sides about this argument but trust me end of the day you better take my advice on this one.

Find out how your work study works too. I believe at NYCOM (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) you only can take work study if you don't take out max loans. You can "work" for the difference. So basically your options are 1. Do no work, and just get the money through loans and pay it back later, 2. Work for the money, and you don't have to pay it back later. Either way, it's the same amount in your pocket, so it really just depends on what's a better deal for you. (No one else can answer that part for you, you have to decide what's best. Some people just need to work to keep themselves sane. Others can't).

here are a few tips how you could save money instead of thinking about making money..if you get multiple acceptances choose a financially beneficial school to your situation. Don't go to a school like NYCOM when you were also accepted at UMDNJ, MSUCOM, TCOM (assuming you are in-state student)..cutting down your expenditure could also equate to you earning a buck! If your only choice is an expensive place..then you should def plan to probably buy a house with your loan money..and sell it off down the road. This way at least all your money didn't go down the drain..

here are a few tips how you could save money instead of thinking about making money..if you get multiple acceptances choose a financially beneficial school to your situation. Don't go to a school like NYCOM when you were also accepted at UMDNJ, MSUCOM, TCOM (assuming you are in-state student)..cutting down your expenditure could also equate to you earning a buck!

2nd this...don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Post #3 in this thread says it best. Consider also that free time could also be used for things that could help for obtaining a competitive residency such as research, rather than a mindless low-paying work-study job.

i was thinking about it but this thread has certainly opened my eyes. need to think in long term. work study offers about 10-12hrs week so its not like you are working.

i will stay put and devote that time in gym or relaxing in the backyard. :D