prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Guarded by Ninjas
Status
Optometry Student
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was another OMD "Optometrists aren't REALLY doctors" thread. Pleasantly surprised though... :p

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2000
Oshkosh, WI
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
For some reason I'm not surprised this is happening.

OP
B

blazenmadison

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2006
Status
Optometrist
prettygreeneyes said:
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was another OMD "Optometrists aren't REALLY doctors" thread. Pleasantly surprised though... :p
haha. i thought so too. but that was the title of the news article.

here's another news article about a different subject.
I guess FL optometrists do pretty well- cocaine and a lamborghini
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_4866966,00.html

no wonder CPW is down there!

prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Guarded by Ninjas
Status
Optometry Student

iiiimonica

4 eyes on me
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2006
Bay Area
Status
Optometry Student
don't sports cars get terrible gas milage?

oh yeah and the crack....

crack is whack :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

drgregory

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
actually he's a rock star on the side, so its legal.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
This guy must have been operating some underground cocaine ring at Cohen's Fashion Optical in the mall.

prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Guarded by Ninjas
Status
Optometry Student
brendang said:
Tell me about it. We've been dealing with OD's passing themselves off as ophthalmologists for quite some time...

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.
Ha! It was only a matter of time before my confusion became reality! Check out post #3, score! :rolleyes:

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2000
Oshkosh, WI
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
I was thinking this guy may have been just holding the crack in case a Horner's syndrome walk in the door.

still_confused

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2005
westwood
Status
Optometry Student
brendang said:
Tell me about it. We've been dealing with OD's passing themselves off as ophthalmologists for quite some time...

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.
any evidence? some OD arrested for passing around opthalmologist business card, telling a patient he has a medical degree, performing surgery (that he isnt allowed by law to do), fake medical degree, etc???? and big difference between TRYING to get surgical rights which in itself is not illegal, and pretending to be a profession one is not qualified for.

dream on, no optometrist would want to be part of the elitist, paranoid, and sour club of opthalmologist. for those opths that are not these things, i apologize.

Ben Chudner

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2005
Rochester, NY
Status
Optometrist
still_confused said:
any evidence? some OD arrested for passing around opthalmologist business card, telling a patient he has a medical degree, performing surgery (that he isnt allowed by law to do), fake medical degree, etc???? and big difference between TRYING to get surgical rights which in itself is not illegal, and pretending to be a profession one is not qualified for.

dream on, no optometrist would want to be part of the elitist, paranoid, and sour club of opthalmologist. for those opths that are not these things, i apologize.
Ease up....I thought his post was funny.

brendang

aka the retina geek
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2003
Southern Louisiana
Visit site
Status
still_confused said:

You know what the kicker is? Neither OD's or opticians are qualified to perform the surgical and advanced medical tasks that an ophthalmologist performs day in and day out... Trying to get rights with no formal training is as logical as a obnoxious, demanding child throwing a tantrum trying to get what he or she wants. It's unfortunate that the public can't decipher the difference between us and "them" (and by "them" I mean OD's) with business cards and signs stating Dr. Joe Blow, Eye Doctor... Much like the neglectfully managed case that I'm taking care of now sent to us by our "Eye Doctor" OD across town (can you explain why someone would use pilo on a uveitis patient? for 6 weeks???) just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should..."

As far as my sh$t stinking; y'all should have checked me out this AM status-post Rueben sandwich and chili... In the grand scheme of things, I am a simple ophthalmology resident. But I'm exactly what I declare -- an MD training in a surgical residency. So, if I feel that what I'm learning makes me a better, more comprehensive and surgically-competent EYE PHYSICIAN & SURGEON, so be it. If you want what "we" have, go back to medical school (even one in the caribbean!), grind through an internship and get back to me...

prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Guarded by Ninjas
Status
Optometry Student
Please... oh please... PLEASE make this thread go away. The OP had no intent of starting another turf war between optometrists and ophthalmologists. We should NOT have taken the bait that our friendly ophthalmologist resident was feeding us... but we did. Can we stop now and leave it at that?

4Eyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status
Optometrist
*sigh* I wish this thread would be locked before it gets any more ridiculous.

Whatever your opinion is, this thread has nothing to do with any OD-OMD scope of practice debate, so if you want to bring that in, you're only trolling. Take it elsewhere.

Especially when no one in this thread is trying to do anything s/he isn't qualified for. The vast majority of ODs realize we aren't trained for surgery, and if we even had an interest in surgery, we would have gone to med school. When are OMDs going to realize this? Still, if anyone even breathes the wrong way, some OMD plays the surgery by surgeons card.

Fortunately, disgruntled OMDs are a minority in their profession as well. Most ODs and OMDs I know get along fine.

OP
B

blazenmadison

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2006
Status
Optometrist
brendang said:
You know what the kicker is? Neither OD's or opticians are qualified to perform the surgical and advanced medical tasks that an ophthalmologist performs day in and day out... Trying to get rights with no formal training is as logical as a obnoxious, demanding child throwing a tantrum trying to get what he or she wants. It's unfortunate that the public can't decipher the difference between us and "them" (and by "them" I mean OD's) with business cards and signs stating Dr. Joe Blow, Eye Doctor... Much like the neglectfully managed case that I'm taking care of now sent to us by our "Eye Doctor" OD across town (can you explain why someone would use pilo on a uveitis patient? for 6 weeks???) just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should..."

As far as my sh$t stinking; y'all should have checked me out this AM status-post Rueben sandwich and chili... In the grand scheme of things, I am a simple ophthalmology resident. But I'm exactly what I declare -- an MD training in a surgical residency. So, if I feel that what I'm learning makes me a better, more comprehensive and surgically-competent EYE PHYSICIAN & SURGEON, so be it. If you want what "we" have, go back to medical school (even one in the caribbean!), grind through an internship and get back to me...

Please act like you're a professional, even if you're still in a residency.

I can see why you're so upset. Optometrists are gaining more of your turf every day. Perhaps you regret you should have gone to optometry school if you loved 'eyes' so much. You're also afraid optometrists will gain surgical rights and it will become more like podiatry and dentistry as a separate entity from medicine. :eek:

Smart OMDs will work with ODs- not only for businessreasons but to make sure ODs stay in their place. Your comments only infuriate ODs to fight for a more expanded scope of practice obliterating your profession.

As the original poster of this thread, I am requesting it be closed for the sanity of mankind.

Status
Not open for further replies.