Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

is your eye doctor really a doctor?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by blazenmadison, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blazenmadison

Optometrist
    I found this story, which is about a year old. Has anyone seen it? it's about a store optician in Philly pretending to be an optometrist. He does a pretty good job refracting but misses the glaucoma suspect.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/5227827/detail.html

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    I hope more articles come out like this, actually. I know there's a big problem with this in the Miami area.

4. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus

Optometry Student
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was another OMD "Optometrists aren't REALLY doctors" thread. Pleasantly surprised though... :p

5. rpames

rpames Optometrist

Optometrist
    For some reason I'm not surprised this is happening.

6. blazenmadison

Optometrist
    haha. i thought so too. but that was the title of the news article.

here's another news article about a different subject.
    I guess FL optometrists do pretty well- cocaine and a lamborghini
    http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_4866966,00.html

no wonder CPW is down there!

7. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus

Optometry Student
    :D It is no surprise that the Florida boards are so difficult to pass... they don't want just anybody being an optometrist when you get perks like those!!!

8. iiiimonica

iiiimonica 4 eyes on me

Optometry Student
    don't sports cars get terrible gas milage?

oh yeah and the crack....

crack is whack :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. drgregory

drgregory Senior Member

Attending Physician
    actually he's a rock star on the side, so its legal.

10. PublicHealth

PublicHealth Banned
    Banned

This guy must have been operating some underground cocaine ring at Cohen's Fashion Optical in the mall.

11. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist

That's how I roll :laugh: I prefer the Aston Martin, though... :cool:

12. brendang

brendang aka the retina geek

Tell me about it. We've been dealing with OD's passing themselves off as ophthalmologists for quite some time...

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

13. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus

Optometry Student
    Ha! It was only a matter of time before my confusion became reality! Check out post #3, score! :rolleyes:

14. rpames

rpames Optometrist

Optometrist
    I was thinking this guy may have been just holding the crack in case a Horner's syndrome walk in the door.

15. still_confused

still_confused Senior Member

Optometry Student
    any evidence? some OD arrested for passing around opthalmologist business card, telling a patient he has a medical degree, performing surgery (that he isnt allowed by law to do), fake medical degree, etc???? and big difference between TRYING to get surgical rights which in itself is not illegal, and pretending to be a profession one is not qualified for.

dream on, no optometrist would want to be part of the elitist, paranoid, and sour club of opthalmologist. for those opths that are not these things, i apologize.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Ben Chudner

Ben Chudner Senior Member
    Optometrist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Optometrist
    Ease up....I thought his post was funny.

18. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    I didn't think it was too funny... but right on par with all his other posts.

I feel better just letting brendan pretend his **** doesn't stink.

19. brendang

brendang aka the retina geek

You know what the kicker is? Neither OD's or opticians are qualified to perform the surgical and advanced medical tasks that an ophthalmologist performs day in and day out... Trying to get rights with no formal training is as logical as a obnoxious, demanding child throwing a tantrum trying to get what he or she wants. It's unfortunate that the public can't decipher the difference between us and "them" (and by "them" I mean OD's) with business cards and signs stating Dr. Joe Blow, Eye Doctor... Much like the neglectfully managed case that I'm taking care of now sent to us by our "Eye Doctor" OD across town (can you explain why someone would use pilo on a uveitis patient? for 6 weeks???) just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should..."

As far as my sh$t stinking; y'all should have checked me out this AM status-post Rueben sandwich and chili... In the grand scheme of things, I am a simple ophthalmology resident. But I'm exactly what I declare -- an MD training in a surgical residency. So, if I feel that what I'm learning makes me a better, more comprehensive and surgically-competent EYE PHYSICIAN & SURGEON, so be it. If you want what "we" have, go back to medical school (even one in the caribbean!), grind through an internship and get back to me...

20. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus

Optometry Student
    Please... oh please... PLEASE make this thread go away. The OP had no intent of starting another turf war between optometrists and ophthalmologists. We should NOT have taken the bait that our friendly ophthalmologist resident was feeding us... but we did. Can we stop now and leave it at that?

21. 4Eyes

Optometrist
    *sigh* I wish this thread would be locked before it gets any more ridiculous.

Whatever your opinion is, this thread has nothing to do with any OD-OMD scope of practice debate, so if you want to bring that in, you're only trolling. Take it elsewhere.

Especially when no one in this thread is trying to do anything s/he isn't qualified for. The vast majority of ODs realize we aren't trained for surgery, and if we even had an interest in surgery, we would have gone to med school. When are OMDs going to realize this? Still, if anyone even breathes the wrong way, some OMD plays the surgery by surgeons card.

Fortunately, disgruntled OMDs are a minority in their profession as well. Most ODs and OMDs I know get along fine.

22. blazenmadison

Optometrist

Please act like you're a professional, even if you're still in a residency.

I can see why you're so upset. Optometrists are gaining more of your turf every day. Perhaps you regret you should have gone to optometry school if you loved 'eyes' so much. You're also afraid optometrists will gain surgical rights and it will become more like podiatry and dentistry as a separate entity from medicine. :eek:

Smart OMDs will work with ODs- not only for businessreasons but to make sure ODs stay in their place. Your comments only infuriate ODs to fight for a more expanded scope of practice obliterating your profession.

As the original poster of this thread, I am requesting it be closed for the sanity of mankind.

23. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    closing thread per blazen's request...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.