“Not a real doctor”

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncertainOpto

Reaction score
What do you say/do when someone says you are not a “real” doctor? Some physicians are even upset that optometrists wear white coats and call themselves “doctors.” What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You are certainly a real doctor, just not a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you say/do when someone says you are not a “real” doctor? Some physicians are even upset that optometrists wear white coats and call themselves “doctors.” What are your thoughts?
If a nurse and social worker can wear a white coat, an optometrist have a right to do so... Yes, optometrists are doctors, i have no problem with it because they do not misrepresent themselves introducing themselves as doctors in a clinical setting. NP's however are calling themselves doctors in an ER/Hospital and the patients actually think they are actual doctors(physicians)...

Actually in my hospital, the physicians are just wearing scrubs and no white coat and RN's are wearing white coats.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve never been told that personally.I would say that my patients would disagree as they consent to me removing a lid lesion or doing an in office laser procedure.My accountant would also disagree as he knows how much money I make every year.

YOU have the greatest control over what people say about you.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I spend a lot of time at night losing sleep thinking about it.

I have not heard that in years but my standard response has always been "No. You're right. I'm a doctor like Julius Erving is a doctor. But I get paid like a real doctor so I'm totally fine with it."

Outside the minds of self affirmation/approval seeking pre-whatever students this issue is virtually nonexistent. There is so much silliness surrounding the word "doctor."

Legally I am an optometric physician. When someone asks what I do for a living, do I say I'm a doctor? No, that carries with it the connotation that I went to medical school and want to hear about the new growth on their foot. So I say I'm an optometrist, and then they tell me about their floaters instead. If they ask if an optometrist is a doctor, I say yes, for the eyes.

If you really want to, you could get into the weeds about whether an optometrist is a "doctor" in the same way a lawyer is a doctor. That answer is most accurately no, because unlike many other doctorate degrees, an optometrist prescribes a number of medications for medical conditions relating to the eye.

In the end, the whole debate is nonsense. My patients call me doctor, because that's my title. I treat them for eye problems, and they respect me for what I do. I couldn't give a god damn about another healthcare provider or anyone else taking issue with my title. We all have our jobs, and I consider myself pretty decent at mine. I don't mislead my patients, and I don't pretend to know things I don't know. I respect other healthcare providers who do their jobs as well.

Healthcare is broad, with many providers. Not all are doctors, and no doctor can treat everything, which I presume is why I have seen several patients who were prescribed topical antibiotics for uveitis from a non-eye doctor.

Reactions: 3 users