is your family supportive about vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lailanni

c/o 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is your family supportive about vet school?

Cause mine's not. I got accepted this week, told people the good news over the weekend, and got asked "why don't you want to be a real doctor?" more times than I appreciated. >: (

I get the same family financial help that my sister/cousins get, but no encouragement. They don't want to hear anything about the clinic because it 'grosses them out', they aren't into animals, and they're constantly asking me why I don't want another job.

Anyone else in the same crappy boat?

Any ideas how to make your family hush up and be remotely supportive?

Edit 4/17: I've seen some good friends and got into the clinic for the first time since my acceptance - it was SO nice to finally have people excited with me! I got so many hugs and congrats at the clinic I actually got a little teary :) A couple people at the shelter actually want to fly out to see my white coat ceremony! Huge contrast from my family's reaction! (confusion over career choice, very disapointed grandparents, constantly suggesting different jobs, etc) I also want to thank everyone for their response on this thread, thank you for being my SDN family! You guys are great support and have help me a ton!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Mine certainly isn't. If I hear my dad tell me to go to dental school one more time, I'm gonna get pissed.

Well, I am sorry to hear your family is so unsupportive. :( My parents are very happy for me. My sister is competitive with me, constantly reminding me of her Phd in Psychology. My brother can't be bothered to let me know his opinion (ftr he has a Phd in Electrical Engineering and is a Major in the USAF).

My husband is ULTRA supportive. His mom and dad, while proud of me, are sad my dreams cost them close proximity to their son and granddaughters. My 14 year old is proud of me. My 17 year old is hostile about the whole thing, but I hope some day she will be proud. Both my girls refuse to let me discuss anything I do either in anatomy lab or in the large animal clinics. They think it's gross and I am obviously weird to think it's cool to stick my hand in a cow's *** or skin a horse.

So I guess you could say I've got a mixed bag. I think your family will become more supportive as they see how hard you work and how much you are going to learn. Many people have the mistaken impression that becoming a veterinarian is something akin to becoming a veterinary technician. They really do not understand the amount of education, time, and hard work that goes into it. But rest assured, they WILL get it eventually, and they will likely be the ones arguing the loudest that OF COURSE Lailanni is a REAL doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sucks! I don't know what to tell you because my family's totally supportive. They've known I've loved animals since I was cognizant and none of them has ever questioned me about being a "real doctor." Then again, my grandparents didn't go to college, and the only doctor in the family is a psychiatrist cousin of my mother's (and my uncle is a lab technician for Blue Cross). My mom is the only one in our immediate family with a master's (teaching). My brothers are probably never going to go to college. I'd imagine the pressure might be greater in a family that's had a history of getting professional degrees in lucrative fields, as opposed to mine where I'm doing better than the average. I have a friend whose mother and brother are lawyers and father made enough at his own business to buy a second home in CA, whereas she is an artist and got a bachelor's and won't be doing anymore schooling... doing something like that would be acceptable in my family as long as the person made enough money to support themselves, but in her family they're used to people being lawyers and so her choice is looked down upon.

Don't know what your circumstances are like, lailanni, but that's just my take on it... yeah, everyone's really supportive of me. I mean, I'm not sure that my grandma necessarily has an idea of how hard it's going to be and how competitive it is to get in, but she's happy that I'm doing something intelligent and that I enjoy. She doesn't really like animals and I wouldn't tell her gross stuff, but she's still happy and has never questioned it. As for the rest of my family, we're all pretty hardcore animal nuts. My boyfriend is thrilled I'll be doing what I love, and his parents are encouraging as well (as long as I don't get my boyfriend off track with HIS education, haha).

*hugs* Sorry your family is such a downer! Maybe if you could go into the competitiveness/an overview of the difficult curriculum/the opportunities vets have in the wider world (i.e. public health) they might see it as more meaningful? Barring that, saying "This is my dream and I expect you as my family to support me in achieving that and if you can't handle my dream being different from yours, screw off" might work ;)

My family is supportive in regards to the accomplishment, but they feel that the cost is prohibitive. They are good at managing their money, and though they're not rich at all, my parents have never been in debt, even for education. They're very leery of the debt that I'll have (I have lots of undergrad debt too) and sometimes I get the feeling that they think that I should have gotten some superfabulous scholarship to pay for all of this (I applied for some, but no such luck). In short, I sometimes feel like a spoiled brat who has no idea what this will cost, etc.
I'm sorry that their attitude makes you feel like crap. Hopefully once you're in school, they'll realize that you will have a well-respected job that makes you happy.

My family and friends have all been very supportive but I have been annoyed by one thing. People assume that vet school is a one or two year thing and then when I explain that it's a four year commitment minimum (like med school) they usually make some comment about it just being animals. I guess it's good training though, I'd imagine people will be asking for years why we aren't "real doctors."

I'm sorry lailanni:( That sucks that the one thing you are passionate about they don't support. My family has always been incredibly supportive (probably because they did not have that kind of support growing up to some extent). They were not, however, happy I accepted an interview at RVC but who knows why. Initially, 6 years ago, when I told my Dad I had to move from the pre-vet track he was crushed. I literally thought the man was going to cry. Regardless, it's too bad your family doesn't support you in everything you do. I support you (as does everyone on SDN)! :D

:( Awww... I'm sorry. I totally feel for you.

My parents are supportive of what I'm doing as a high school student, but to my Dad, human med makes more money and just IS superior. He knows it bothers me when he says that though, and I told him a while ago NOT to bother telling me that because there is NO WAY I want to go into human med. I have no passion for it and I couldn't add anything to the field, so why bother? I'm not going to be rich and I can accept that while knowing that I can have a commitment to something and be COMPLETELY HAPPY.

Well, I am sorry to hear your family is so unsupportive. :( My parents are very happy for me. My sister is competitive with me, constantly reminding me of her Phd in Psychology. My brother can't be bothered to let me know his opinion (ftr he has a Phd in Electrical Engineering and is a Major in the USAF).

My husband is ULTRA supportive. His mom and dad, while proud of me, are sad my dreams cost them close proximity to their son and granddaughters. My 14 year old is proud of me. My 17 year old is hostile about the whole thing, but I hope some day she will be proud. Both my girls refuse to let me discuss anything I do either in anatomy lab or in the large animal clinics. They think it's gross and I am obviously weird to think it's cool to stick my hand in a cow's *** or skin a horse.

So I guess you could say I've got a mixed bag. I think your family will become more supportive as they see how hard you work and how much you are going to learn. Many people have the mistaken impression that becoming a veterinarian is something akin to becoming a veterinary technician. They really do not understand the amount of education, time, and hard work that goes into it. But rest assured, they WILL get it eventually, and they will likely be the ones arguing the loudest that OF COURSE Lailanni is a REAL doctor.

Aww... I wish MY Mom was a vet, or student, and could tell me cool stories! :laugh: You know those teenagers... Always stubborn and angry! :rolleyes: HAHA Joking. My parents are the ones who tell me they don't want to hear about the necropsy or the dog that died today, or even the surgery I got to see. My Mom's a nurse, but she's busy, so we don't chat often!

I just tell them "real doctors treat more than one species"

Just the other day my father in law asked me "why don't you stop wasting all that money and get a real job instead of just playing with puppies and kittens all day"

To which I replied, in a fit of brilliance, "why don't you just get a room in a nursing home instead of planning on living with us when you're old?"

:( Awww... I'm sorry. I totally feel for you.

My parents are supportive of what I'm doing as a high school student, but to my Dad, human med makes more money and just IS superior. He knows it bothers me when he says that though, and I told him a while ago NOT to bother telling me that because there is NO WAY I want to go into human med. I have no passion for it and I couldn't add anything to the field, so why bother? I'm not going to be rich and I can accept that while knowing that I can have a commitment to something and be COMPLETELY HAPPY.

Kara, I have this quote by Howard Thurman I keep nearby to motivate me. Perhaps show it to your dad, because there is much truth in it:

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

Follow your passion, because that really IS what the world needs more people to do.

My family and friends have all been very supportive but I have been annoyed by one thing. People assume that vet school is a one or two year thing and then when I explain that it's a four year commitment minimum (like med school) they usually make some comment about it just being animals. I guess it's good training though, I'd imagine people will be asking for years why we aren't "real doctors."

The veterinarian I worked for always referred to his schooling as when he was "in medical school." It was important to him that people understood that he DID attend medical school--veterinary medical school.

He also told people he was a veterinarian. If he'd wanted to be a vet, he'd have joined the military.

My family is supportive to a point....like Hobbiecat's family, my feels the cost is prohibitive and are constantly pushing me to find a way to pay for it, esp. about joining the army (they can't contribute anything becuase my father was recently injuried at work and is unable to recieve disability and is unable to work, my mom has to support the family on VERY low paying job). Not that there is anything wrong with that, I realize that I am an adult now and have to start working on my financial future.

Like others too, to a point they are uninterested in what is going at the clinic. When I was first promoted vet. assistant they don't me not to tell stories because they were tooo gross and were to disheartening...my dad is a really big animal lover but hates to hear about them being sick...so it was hard not having anybody to talk to about my job...lol...I even got yelled at for discussing a surgery at the dinner table...apparently they don't find anatomy, blood, and guts appropriate dinner conversation. oops.

Sorry, to hear your family won't support you and, yes, I too have been told my several that I will not be a REAL doctor and it hurts...but just remember that there is a whole family on this website that supports you 100% and although it might not be the same, we will all be here for you and all the others :D

But I guess the best thing to do is talk about to the Vets. To me, the girls that I worked with at the clinic have become a major part of my support family.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry lailanni:(. But you're getting the chance to do what you love! Hopefully your parents will support you when they see how happy you are on your way to becoming a vet! I think parents, even if they don't agree with the route their child takes, should still support their kid.

My parents are supportive. A little too supportive though. My dad doesn't understand how competitive applying to vet school is, so he has theses delusions that I will get in every school. So he's not happy/doesn't understand when I get rejected from schools. I've been rejected from 6 so far, and it really burst his bubble. He had been saying for years that I would get in everywhere I applied to. So breaking bad news to him hasn't been very fun. I've only told him I've been rejected from 3 so far (although the rest of my family knows everything haha!)

My dad is also a horse farm manager, has been for 20 years and trains racehorses and I constantly have to hear 'you could go to the best vet school in the world and you still wouldn't know as much as I do about horses!'

so maybe having support isn't always so great?

do any of you guys feel you have to constantly tell people how hard it is to get into vet school but they just don't seem to get it?

With my family, "support" is a double-edged sword. It is extremely important to my parents that I have a "Dr." in front of my name, so if vet med is the only way to make that happen, they'll settle for it. But, my dad doesn't like it. For a long time he was always asking why I wouldn't go into human medicine. He finally gave that up, and now he's clinging to the hope that I'll do a DVM/PhD (I've done quite a bit of undergrad research in a couple different lab settings, and as much as I try to convince myself that I love it, I really don't). So, they don't discourage me too much because they know that the only way I'll ever have "Dr." in front of my name is if it's followed by a DVM/VMD, but they are also quick to point out how much superior it'd be if I went to med school.

My older sister (who is my polar opposite, but my best friend!), on the other hand, does not like animals so doesn't understand why I would be attracted to such a career, but knows that this is what I love and am passionate about so is totally supportive of it. She also feels bad because she knows if she had continued on the JD track as intended (she got married right after getting her BA and didn't pursue any more schooling), my parents wouldn't place quite as much pressure on me becoming a Dr.

Oh family dynamics.

do any of you guys feel you have to constantly tell people how hard it is to get into vet school but they just don't seem to get it?

exactly. recognize me!!:D

absolutely!! esp after getting rejected from 3 schools including my in-state, and likely having to reapply next year. they just don't get it...i always pull out the "only like 28 schools in the whole country" one, that helps sometimes.

lailanni: that really sucks about your family...for the most part, mine is really supportive. my dad likes to make stupid comments every now and then about how the best thing you can do in live is to own/run your own business..which i'll never prob do if i make it to vet school because i'm interested in aquatics...not exactly about to go buy myself a whole zoo/aquarium!! so he'll say that and sorta "recommend" that i do small animal instead which really irks me.

My parents are supportive. A little too supportive though. My dad doesn't understand how competitive applying to vet school is, so he has theses delusions that I will get in every school. So he's not happy/doesn't understand when I get rejected from schools. I've been rejected from 6 so far, and it really burst his bubble. He had been saying for years that I would get in everywhere I applied to. So breaking bad news to him hasn't been very fun. I've only told him I've been rejected from 3 so far (although the rest of my family knows everything haha!)

That was my dad during my interviews! After every one he'd be like "OMG did they make you an offer on the spot?" "NO DAD, that almost NEVER happens! It has to go through admissions/the dean/etc!" Augh, it was so stressful having him go on about how they were going to give me a spot immediately. But he's always a little bit hypomanic (he's bipolar) so I try and cut him slack... and just told him firmly that saying that was stressing me out to the max and he needed to cut out, and eventually he got the message. :laugh:

My parents are very supportive. My mom said that if becoming a vet is my dream, she is going to help me out however she can. If I decide that I don't want to be a vet, she'll also support my decision. She said that she will do whatever it takes... she is letting me go to New York next summer to get my large animal experience. I love my mom!

I'm scared though... when we were filling out bursary applications together last year, when it came to finances, we are not very well off. Sometimes I think that me wanting to go to vet school is just going to make things even more difficult... because I'm not an Einstein, I am taking the longest road. Instead of applying after two years like everybody else, I'm going to apply in my third and fourth and if I get accepted, attend after I recieve my BSc. If I don't get accepted after recieving my BSc, I'm going to go into the vet tech program which is two years, while continuing to apply to vet school.

I'm looking at 8-11 years of schooling... and school isn't cheap.

I'm debating whether or not to take summer courses... I could take summer courses and work for two monthes or I could work for four. It's a hard decision.

all the time. i think some of the people i live with think i'm dumber and dumber every time they hear i've been rejected from yet another school.

Oh man, I'm so sad to hear that so many people are having support issues with their families! My parents have always been nothing but supportive.
Just remember, though, your parents aren't going to have to live with your career choice the rest of your life, you are. If you give in and become whatever they want you to be rather than what you want to be, then you will be the one stuck with being unhappy.

P.S. Athena and shemari, that is totally both my parents. I was so excited to make it onto the wait list for Missouri as an OOS, and my parents were disappointed that I didn't actually make it in. CSU and Cornell rejected me and they acted like it was soooo surprising and upsetting.
At least they mean well. :)
My aunt understands though. She's a doctor, even, and she understands that it's more difficult to get into vet school.

My family is NOT supportive at all. They really REALLY don't get how competitive vet. schools are or how hard I worked for the last 5 years to achieve this. And "the real doctor" subject comes up EVEN NOW after I've been accepted. Not to mention, instead of "Wow, you got into 3 out of 4 vet schools!" I get "So why didn't you get into that one vet. school?" Seriously. When does it stop? And about my job, it's "Oh, so even after 3 years you still get paid this much?...*uncomfortable silence*" And "So you're able to do exactly what with your chemistry degree?" And..."you're 25 and you're STILL in school?! Isn't it time to graduate already?" I could go on forever branching off into my personal life and wondering why am I not an alcoholic by now?:laugh:
The only person who is supportive and has always been is my husband, who actually told me he'd divorce me if I chose to be an M.D. :D Seriously though, he's the only person who never discouraged me from going to vet. school and told me he was so proud of me. God gave him to me to make it up to me for my mom.:)

I must know all the odd balls of the world, then, because everyone I've told about applying to vet schools always seems to come back with, "Oh, wow, I've heard that's even harder to get into than med school!" Which always makes me feel bad so I usually reply with an "Oh, I don't know about that. It's really just a numbers thing...only 28 in the country..." so on. But from now on I'll just send all of them in your directions, guys...sounds like you could use some folks who appreciate how hard all of this is!:D

I must know all the odd balls of the world, then, because everyone I've told about applying to vet schools always seems to come back with, "Oh, wow, I've heard that's even harder to get into than med school!" Which always makes me feel bad so I usually reply with an "Oh, I don't know about that. It's really just a numbers thing...only 28 in the country..." so on. But from now on I'll just send all of them in your directions, guys...sounds like you could use some folks who appreciate how hard all of this is!:D

About 50% of the people I've talked to say that to me as well VA girl. But I guess that is because they're generally the people who used to want to be vets when they were younger but decided against it after learning how competitive it is (or knew someone in this situation). The other half think vet school is probably about 2 years and can be completed at almost any university or community college.

My mom is supportive of me because that's just the way she is. Though my dad still wants me to go to human med school and become a surgeon for some reason. He's not exactly against me wanting to be a vet, but he is always telling me that I'd make a wonderful surgeon and I should go to med school, especially after I told him human doctors usually make more money than vets! But whatever, maybe going to vet school is not as prestigious as going to med school in the eyes of the average person, but it sounds a lot more impressive than many other careers and I think people understand that.

Every time I talk to my parents they bring up what I could have/should have done differently to get into CSU, or why I didn't apply to Cornell (I made the mistake of mentioning once that it is ranked #1 and since then I am criminal for not applying there). It drives me NUTS.

Thankfully, I have great friends here at school who understand what it means to be accepted to vet school. Even a bunch of my pre-med friends have congratulated me on getting in and made comments about it being harder to get in than med school (to which I mumble something about the numbers). My roommates, never wanting success to get to my head, had great fun posting my CSU rejection on the refrigerator right next to acceptances and interview invites :-D I am going to miss them SO much next year--they always keep me honest...and laughing hysterically!

I thought I might add my perspective to this issue.

My Dad is the only supportive member of my family. My grandmother and other relatives were very disgusted with me the day the withdrew from Emory’s MPH program and decided I didn’t want to go to medical school. They were happy again went I started into a MS research program, and now are upset I’m not just going to get my PhD (though I plan to get it after vet school), to them Vet School is just a waste of money, and I’ll never make as much as A REAL DOCTOR would… And some of them think the Veterinary profession is more for women anyways (A very sexist view which further enrages me) so I am constantly battling that. But thankfully my Dad is very supportive…

My girlfriend is also not supportive, she didn’t speak to me for a week after I had to put down animals we were using for our pre-clinical vaccine trial. She’s a marketing person and doesn’t understand why we need to use animals for biomedical research. Since that incident I don’t tell her about work anymore. I get the you need to apply to med school speech whenever my move to Fort Collins comes up in conversation. She is the type that wants four bedroom house in the suburbs of Cali right now fresh out of college, but it’s not going to happen. And also gets disgusted when I talk about being in school for another 4 + however many years to get a PhD. Ever since I got into CSU things have gone downhill, we are on a break right now, but I think we are not going to get back together…

Anyone else’s significant other have a problem with them going to vet school?

My fam is pretty great - my mom always supports me 100% fully, my brothers are great, and while my sister can be tough about it (she's a nurse and doesn't quite "get" the vet med aspect).... they are really great. My extended fam is good too.

UGH of course, right as I was typing this response... my roommate comes to tell me my dog got into chicken bones she had upstairs. :eek:!!!

My family is all so supportive of me, and I'm so thankful for that! They seem to really understand the whole process and listen to me vent whenever I get frustrated. Both of my parents really actually want to work for me if I start my own clinic one day. My mom is actually looking to start work at a vet clinic part time so that she can get some experience. :) I love her!

That was my dad during my interviews! After every one he'd be like "OMG did they make you an offer on the spot?" "NO DAD, that almost NEVER happens! It has to go through admissions/the dean/etc!" Augh, it was so stressful having him go on about how they were going to give me a spot immediately. But he's always a little bit hypomanic (he's bipolar) so I try and cut him slack... and just told him firmly that saying that was stressing me out to the max and he needed to cut out, and eventually he got the message. :laugh:

LOL. Sounds like my dad. After getting a rejection he said " Who do they think they are, just rejecting you like that!!?"
I don't think my parents realize how hard it is to get in (my dad sort of thinks anyone who wants to spends all that money to study that hard in vet school and really not make a ton when they are out must be very committed and therefor should be accepted:rolleyes:)
My parents are very supportive though and know that this is what I'm meant to do. I think they would think something was wrong with me if I ever told them I changed my mind (not that I would.) My dad is very proud and likes to tell everyone. He had surgery the other day and asked the doctors if it would be okay if he just had his daughter take the stitches out. They asked if his daughter was in the medical field and he said well, she is going to be a vet in a few years!:p They all started laughing and i can just picture my dad so proud not knowing why they are laughing.:hardy:

Mine certainly isn't. If I hear my dad tell me to go to dental school one more time, I'm gonna get pissed.

Oh my goodness, I just about fell over with this one. My dad says the SAME EXACT thing. I was pre-dental my first two years of undergrad and then my fiance convinced me to go with my true passion. My mom tells me that she hears it all the time from my dad about how I won't make any money and that I should have just been a dentist. My mom just lets it go in one ear and out the other but it just bothers me. Anyways :rolleyes: ...

OSJ, that is so cool that your dad is so proud! I am so happy for you! That's such a wonderful feeling, having your parents proud of you. :love: My mom is like that! Actually, I'll probably have to tell her your story and she'll get all teary-eyed. hehe.

And VetMed555, my fiance is the same way. I actually got choked up, erm, well, had a few tears, and had to go get a hug from him after reading your post (and yes, it's late and I'm a bit tired so my emotions are roller coaster-like ;)). I love him so much and it's his "fault" that I'm doing what I've always wanted to do. He gets so upset when I say "is my dad right?" He's God's gift to me as well and I'm so glad he let me see the light ( = past my parents) and realize what *I* truly want to do, not them.

So, my fiance is probably the person who is the most supportive but it's comforting to know that other people out there are in the same boat as me. My mom is so excited for me and she always cries when I tell her about an acceptance! She is very proud but also worried about the debt. I will not get any financial help from them, which is okay, but that makes it especially hard for me to hear my dad complaining about vet school -- he has no right!

Oh, and might I mention that when I called my dad to tell him I got into Ohio State (my first acceptance!!) and I was so happy I was crying he just calmly kept asking me what I was saying and then said "oh." Dear god, man! Wouldn't you be happy for me!? Then followed by "well, it's pretty far away from home". ARGH!

Okay, okay, enough of me ranting and spilling out my emotional insides. ;)

Elkbrucellaguy, your girlfriend is a tool. Let her go to marry a dentist, live in the suburbs and drive an gas guzzling SUV to take the kids to soccer practice while said husband is off doing his hygenist. Sorry to sound so harsh, but I knew a ton of those girls when I went to school, and I know what they are doing now (12 years later). I never understood that mindset myself, which is why I am not married and happy as can be (though I do have a very nice boyfriend). Plus, you are about to go to school with about a zillion women who love vet science, understand the sacrifices, and will be stuck in a classroom with you and 3 other men for years. You may get eaten alive :laugh:

As for support, my family is ok with it, my dad never remembers what schools I applied to (there were only 5!) and doesn't understand where this notion to go to vet school came from, but they are proud of me anyway. The BF is supportive, and is planning to go with me, and go to nursing school himself. It wouldn't matter to me if he wasn't supportive though, because as someone else said on these threads, "Boys will come and go, but a DVM is forever."

Also, there is none of that "real doctor" talk at my house, because both of my parents were PhDs in Psychology and got enough of that crap themselves. Mostly everyone is just excited about the free vet care they foresee for themselves in the future! :love:

Just the other day my father in law asked me "why don't you stop wasting all that money and get a real job instead of just playing with puppies and kittens all day"

To which I replied, in a fit of brilliance, "why don't you just get a room in a nursing home instead of planning on living with us when you're old?"

:laugh:

Although I love them, that sounds like some of my family! I love it!

During my first two years of college, whenever my parents would explain to relatives/friends of theirs what I was studying (Biology) and what I planned to do with it, they would say "Pre-Med or Pre-Vet." I would gently remind them that I never had an interest in human med school and have always wanted to go to vet school. Lailanni, like your family, my parents aren't animal people either!

They've stopped saying "Pre-Med or Pre-Vet," finally, but still don't like discussing the topic. Whenever I bring up application plans or anything related, they brush it off saying "Well, don't get too far ahead of yourself." I can also tell my Dad starts to get uncomfortable because his mouth starts to twitch, he starts nodding somewhat stiffly, looking at Mom, and saying "Uh huh" in response to whatever I say :p. Those are his "I don't want to have this conversation right now" signs!
Basically, they're supportive in the sense that they want me to be happy, but I think they'd be happier if I had chosen another field.

My friends from college are incredibly supportive, and my friends from home are less so.

On an unrelated note, though, I was speaking to someone while away on vacation two summers ago, and he was asking me what I wanted to do after college. When I told him I wanted to go to vet school, he said (completely serious), "Are you going into veterinary medicine because you don't have the courage to treat people?" :eek:

Is your family supportive about vet school?

Cause mine's not. I got accepted this week, told people the good news over the weekend, and got asked "why don't you want to be a real doctor?" more times than I appreciated. >: (

I get the same family financial help that my sister/cousins get, but no encouragement. They don't want to hear anything about the clinic because it 'grosses them out', they aren't into animals, and they're constantly asking me why I don't want another job.

Anyone else in the same crappy boat?

Any ideas how to make your family shut up and be remotely supportive?

Lady, that sucks. :thumbdown: it's quite the opposite for me, fortunately. my om is very excited about the idea (money saved on future vet bills :D An end to my extended stay at home as a near 30-year-old) At my work today, people were asking about it again and getting all excited (not that I am in a school yet...).

Maybe you need to find some good newspaper articles about the exciting trends/career prospects in veterinary medicine... ? And articles about the stress of being a human doctor and dealing with insurance and malpractice suits? ;)

I HEAR THIS EVERYDAY, too Seriously...

Where do they even get this idea? I don't think it is really that accurate, anyways..

i got the a comment the other day. Some one said " what, you couldn't get into medical school?" People can be so naive.

I just got the same things from my mom (my dad is the same way) this weekend.....
mom: "well, you're only in school for 2 more years"
me: "no, it's 4 years... 2 1/2 years of classes and 1 1/2 years of clincals"
mom: "I don't see why it takes so long... they're only animals... vet medicine can't be THAT hard" :mad:
me: (trying to control my temper) "well... if it were easy, we'd all be DVM's"
mom: "is a DVM a REAL doctor???" :mad:
me: "um... yeah... "

My husband, on the other hand, has been completely supportive. Like VetMed555's husband, he never discouraged me and has told me all along how proud he is that I am going to vet school. I also think he was God's gift to me to make up for my parents!!!! :D

Big Huggs (SDN needs an icon) for all! After reading this thread I realized how blessed I really am. Working as a tech Im surrounded by support. My kids grab my vet journals before I can read them because they like the cool (gross) pictures. Friends, family, coworkers all anxiously wait each year as I apply. My boss teases me and says when we are really busy "If you would hurry up and go to vet school we could see more appts". Haha like I have any control over it.

Would the people who are not being supportive rather you be miserable doing something else? Ask them? There is a book A New Earth-Awakening to Your Lifes Purpose by Eckhart Tolle. Life is not about earning money. I wonder what people would say if when they asked why you want to be a vet? You simply replied "Because its MY lifes purpose. Everyone has a purpose and whether your coming from a traditional or nontraditional path towards VMed your inner voice is telling you this is the path by which your life will have purpose. I think this is a response difficult to argue with. You shouldnt feel like you have to justify your life's purpose. Just realize you are fullfilling your mission and when others see how happy you are they will come around.

With talking to people about animal stuff, I can tell you this will not improve. My family only wants to hear about the "cute" stuff. My mom always stops me and says" I dont wanna hear about anything dying". When I try to talk to my husband (a diesel mechanic) he tries to make analogies between vet medicine and something mechanical :confused: It never makes sense but I just nod and say "yes something like that".

You will make friends and then colleagues in VS and you will talk to them. When you perform your first cool solo surgery or see your first "brought back from the brink of death" case, you will call them up and they will revel in your excitement without being grossed out. After all we are the only ones that "GET IT". So dont feel bad if your family doesnt want to hear about the cool gastrotomy on the dog who ate dirty underwear. Come back on SDN and we'll give you much love!

I've had pretty similar experiences to everyone on this board. Some people know it's hard to get into vet school, others think it's a 2 year program. (And, also, when I was living in KY, people always said, "Are you going to UK for this?" And I have to explain that the University of Kentucky doesn't have a vet school and for that matter neither does any other university in KY that you care to mention....drove me nuts when I was working at Macy's.)

I feel bad for those of you who don't have supportive families. I'd put mine in the reluctantly supportive category. They're happy for whatever I do, but wish that I was doing something more financially lucrative. They're pleased, though, that I may be able to buy into a practice someday, since my family is full of small business people.

At least we have SDN to support us!

Oh my goodness, I just about fell over with this one. My dad says the SAME EXACT thing. I was pre-dental my first two years of undergrad and then my fiance convinced me to go with my true passion. My mom tells me that she hears it all the time from my dad about how I won't make any money and that I should have just been a dentist. My mom just lets it go in one ear and out the other but it just bothers me. Anyways :rolleyes: ...

I have the same problem with my dad. When I was little, he always referred to me as "his future veterinarian." When I went back to college, it was with the intent of going to dental school, as at the time, I thought that even though I wouldn't love it, I wouldn't mind it, and the money's better. After I decided that doing what I enjoy is more important than how much I get paid, I told him that I was leaning more towards vet school. The same guy who was so supportive of me wanting to be a vet since I was little, now thinks that its a bad idea, and thinks I should stick with dentistry. Grr.

My Mom's super supportive of me (she's a nurse practitioner, and she's just happy that I don't want to become an MD), and my Husband's supportive. I think out of everybody, my husband is the biggest roadblock. He wants me to do what I love (and deep down, I think he wants a sugarmama,) but he's not too thrilled with the knowledge that in two years, no matter where I get accepted, I'm going to have to move us away from his band, his friends and his family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthonut

:laugh:
This so cracked me up! I'd say the fam is mixed on their reaction for me, but at least they spread it out for me and my husband. He will be the first to graduate college out of his family and from an engineering program no less. Granted his family thinks school is just a hobby he does... it really gets under his skin. Mostly his folks want to know why we haven't had kids and could we please stop fiddling with school.

I guess I don't worry so much about this maybe b/c I'm older, don't live at home, been working for sometime, etc. My advice: Do what you love because man an office job, well to me STINKS (my current non-animal related day job)! As for MD part, eh... Just shows ignorance and knowing so little about animals well to me just shows what people are missing out on if you ask me.

As for my own folks they are just shocked and tread lightly b/c I am the personality type that demands politeness or I just won't call ya back. Harsh but your sanity is worth a lot. Maybe this comes with age but dang I just wouldn’t put up with this crap. I mean you can’t demand they support ya but you can demand they keep their lips shut if they can’t say something nice.

I would say though I am rather tired of professors and friends asking about my next years plans (are you in or not?) Ugh… mostly because I don’t have the great news to share. So it is more personal. If I was in I’d be telling everyone. Yes, I’d like a “big mac, coke, fries and by the way I’m going to vet school!” Until that day...

Anyone else’s significant other have a problem with them going to vet school?

Noticed your post. Well, sometime ago when I was gasp in High School. I got into a military school and I’m a girl so reverse of what you are dealing with. My then boyfriend was adamant that I didn't go and rather join him at the state school he was at where I would be safe (ahhhhhhhhhh!). At some point during our dating he gave me a pen set as a graduation present (I did find this to be an odd gift). You know what. I used that pen set to sign my acceptance letter. Not one single day of regret about that. Was it hard and rather scary to venture out alone? Yes. The irony he eventually did come back around and told me he had been wrong. Granted we both moved on, but still it was nice to receive that validation. Doubt many gals will do that so don't hold your breath.

My point is you can't let anyone hold you back if this is what you love to do. Life is to short. If that is how she is handling this early part of things you don't need that extra stress. I just think Vet Med is more like a calling similar to a minister or preacher not in the religious sense, but in the demands/time spent helping/caring/treating. Add to that the time needed to recharge at home with your significant other and to be able to talk about things. The SO needs to get it, be supportive of it, and understand that this is more than just a day job that buys a nice life. Try and get her to see that aspect of things or let it go...Just my 2cents.

My whole family is super supportive. When I called my mother she was driving in her car and started screaming at the top of her lungs and had to pull over. She was thrilled! When I called my Grandma, she started to cry saying how proud she was of me. My step-dad told me I had better frame the acceptance letter for all the crap they put me through to get accepted! I feel so lucky reading about some of these other not so supportive family members...do what you love and love what you do!!

I definitely get a lot of those "real doctor" comments as well. Veterinary school is something I've wanted to do since I was a little kid, and my parents were pretty encouraging about getting a job at the vet's, working with horses, etc. It really wasn't until last year as a college sophomore that they really realized I was dead serious about that goal. Ever since, there have been plenty of comments about the amount of money it costs, the lack of financial return, being a "real doctor", etc. Every time it comes up, they (especially my mother) always has to stick in the medical school card. They keep telling me that I should take the MCAT and apply to both "just to see what happens.

I mean, they aren't vehemently opposed to it and they know how hard I've been working and how much I want it, but it still hurts to hear comments such as "she still wants to be a vet, and I have NO idea why". I think that when I finally get there and I'm really truly happy with my decision, they'll be happy for me. I think they're proud of my accomplishments to date and my drive and motivation for a goal I really want, but sometimes it's hard for them to understand the choice that I'm making. It mostly comes down to money for them. Why invest in something so expensive if it's not going to be a particularly lucrative career? I just honestly answer that having lots of money is not important to me.

My parents are getting used to the idea that vet school is really what I want, even though it has taken me awhile to realize it. My dad's biggest issue was that I already have a job that pays well with good benefits (I work for the county). What he doesn't get is that I will be miserable for the next 30+ years if I stay working as a social worker. I really think that a big reason why our parents think the way they do is because of their generation. It seems like a lot of people used to pick a career or get a job and stay there until they retired. Not so anymore. Thank goodness there are more options these days!!

Man, I love you guys!!!

Thanks for being my support group :) I got more support in this single thread than I have from my family!

It just makes me more happy to be at the clinic/shelter where the people around me really understand me and have the same passion. That's another reason I'm so looking forward to vet school - having a place where other people are like me, and won't think I'm weird for loving and animals and all the cool stuff that comes with it - a place where no one will give me flack for just being myself.

Don't worry, I'm not totally adrift without some nice supportive people. The shelter I'm at gave me a fancy-pants pair of surgical needle holders for luck before my interview. It was awesome, made me get all teary :oops: