Is your GPA weighted depending on where you did your undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My point is perfectly valid, and absolutely true. I'll take my cheap, tier 4, state university (with horrible sports included) over an expensive, "world famous" university any day. All that matters is what you make of it.

p.s. I'm not one to toot my own horn, but just to prove a point, my "crappy" tier 4 education (including some time in community college) netted me a publication in a JHU journal, a 99.9 percentile score on the DAT and acceptances to some of the most competitive schools in the country. Who'd a thunk it?

Members don't see this ad.

it was between you and someone from Kalamazoo christian college with a basic biology degree. Both students have a 3.75 and 21's, and equal volunteer work....THE ADCOM CHOOSES THE STUDENT FROM MICHIGAN!

yeah can't give academic accreditation to those christians.

Yes, in most cases a college degree is a college degree, but if you are applying to Michigan and you did your Undergraduate studies at Michigan and did research, and it was between you and someone from Kalamazoo christian college with a basic biology degree. Both students have a 3.75 and 21's, and equal volunteer work....THE ADCOM CHOOSES THE STUDENT FROM MICHIGAN! (yes there are exceptions)

UNLESS the ADCOM happened to go to Kalamazoo Christian College himself/herself!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah can't give academic accreditation to those christians.

yeh i went to one of those "non accredited" christian schools...only got into 3 dental schools...but oh wait...I only applied to three! not too shabby. Maybe they are a little better academically then you thought...

The admissions process is not a standard one, there is not a right way or a wrong way to go about it. Everything on this board is based on rumor and speculation. Yes, well all have strong bias toward our alma mater, so if you went to a small you school and got in, then that was the way to go, and vice versa. I am simply giving my two cents on the subject, and yes I am strongly biased toward the large universities, because I would have not been happy at a small private school. I feel that the opportunites presented to me at, because of the location and size of the school were greater than any other option that I could have taken. There are people who agree with both sides. The most important issue is that we get in and become great doctors/dentists.

END OF POST!

Honestly, I think the ratings of schools is very subjective. My undergrad was a "3" on the rating list, but my grad school was a "1". While obviously grad school is harder then undergrad, I didn't find much difference in instruction or difficulty of exams (other then being more in depth for grad school, which is obviously part of grad school).

The main difference I can find is that my undergrad was a smaller state school, vs. grad school was a larger private school. The private school had more $$$ and resources, research etc. But in my personal experience, this did not mean that classes were so much harder then the "3" school.

I give up. Yes, students get themselves into dental or medical school, yes small schools send more students by percentage to professional programs than large Universities, but you are missing the point. Would you rather have access to ground breaking research, world famous faculty, nobeloriat professors, and a higher standard of academic achievement (based on papers published in respected journals), or someone with a masters degree or a high school teacher teaching you basic biology that hasn't had a curriculum update since 1964 (I am exagerating to make the point easier to understand)?

Yes, in most cases a college degree is a college degree, but if you are applying to Michigan and you did your Undergraduate studies at Michigan and did research, and it was between you and someone from Kalamazoo christian college with a basic biology degree. Both students have a 3.75 and 21's, and equal volunteer work....THE ADCOM CHOOSES THE STUDENT FROM MICHIGAN! (yes there are exceptions)

That is the point. The science education is better at the Universities where the new science is happening!

hmmm...interesting. If I remember correctly, at my "small, private University" I was taught by MD's and PhD's for every single class (not just science), except maybe one or two...and those consisted of using a racket and being on a tennis court. I understand large Universities have more "nobel laureates" and more prestigous research (most of the "real" research is done by grad students anyway)... they also have a lot more money to spend and a quite a few more heads to teach. Both are good imo, just depends on what suits you. Oh yeah, and out of my university of around 1000 total students, 3 of us were accepted this cycle (out of 3)

yeh i went to one of those "non accredited" christian schools...only got into 3 dental schools...but oh wait...I only applied to three! not too shabby. Maybe they are a little better academically then you thought...

it's called sarcasm. i'm christian, and it annoyed me that drp whatever used a zakahaka christian school as an example.