Is your roommate your classmate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denty

dont eat yellow snow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you in dental school...I am thinking about my living plans for next year and was thinking of getting a roommate (I never had one) from the dental school. Have any of you had a positive or negative experience with a roommate that also goes to dental school with you?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT have a roommate from school if you can at all avoid it. For the most part, you spend a huuuge amount of time with the same people at school, and the last thing you want to do at the end of a long and tiring dental day, is come home to a classmate. Chances are you may not like him/her, or they might be competitive with you (either overtly or secretely). The majority of people in my class who live with classmates don't like it, although one or two pairs do.
.02 for what its worth,
littled

Hey denty!

I happen to currently be living with a classmate, and there are a few others in my class who do also. In my opinion, it just depends on the person you are choosing to live with. If they are competitive, always studying, never studying, these could possibly all be issues. For me, sometimes (i have to admit) I do get irritated, and it does at times feel like you never leave school behind you when you go home..." have you looked at physio yet....how bout that wax buildup today huh?....etc etc" But on the bright side, my roommate also offers me another perspective, a helping hand when I just dont understand something, and we drive to school together. So my point...there are positives and negatives, if the positives are most important to you... then go for it!..
good luck!!!!!

and Irish love from me too! hehehe

Members don't see this ad :)
We have people in our class who are rooming together, and results have been mixed. Just make sure you know the person pretty well first...a lot of people who seem cool at orientation end up being total blowhards once school starts.

Personally I prefer to room with non-dental grad students. Honestly, after being with my classmates all day the last thing I want to do is hang out with them on evenings or weekends. So the nice thing about non-dental roommates is that if you click with them you'll have made new friends outside of dentistry--a very good thing for your sanity. And they will have other friends that you can be introduced to, further expanding your social network (and if your roommate's friends are of the opposite sex, so much the better ;)).

mine's a med student, we take roughly the same classes and it's just nice to not havea lcassmate living with me.

But a classmate lives right below me.

I live with 3 guys from my dental school class and we have a blast :thumbup:

Just find a cute girl, marry her, and you'll never have to wory about this question again! :D

I agree with Podarski about the marriage thing...but until then...

I live with 2 fellow D1's and it works out fine. We are pretty good friends and we do not have any competitive issues. If anything it's good cuz you are all in the same boat and can relate to each other. Since we are so busy we are never really at home at the same time (or at all :) ).

I would rather have a roommate in dental school than not.

I am a first year student at UF and my roomate is in my class. I understand how seeing the same person all day can get on your nerves. Fortunately, we're opposites in personality, so I never hang out with or sit next to him during school. Basically, don't try to be best friends and things should work ok. He's a really good roomate.

My roomate and I are in the same class but we never see each other during the day and even into the evening. I was really hesitant about having a roomate in my class, but it works out well since I never see her. When we actually do hang out, it's always a good time.

My roommate is my classmate and one of my close friends. We go to class together, sit near each other, have lunch together, hang out with the same group of people, and if it weren't for the fact that we are in different group practices we'd probably practice together, as well.

It's all about finding someone with the same personality. Funny thing is my roommate has the same sense of humor as I do. She'll crack the same kinds of jokes as I do. However, there definitely are people in your school (let alone class) that'll drive you nuts sitting next to them. So, be careful of who you room with. I didn't room with my classmate until the end of 1st year, so we already knew each other well enough to rent the same apt.

Thanks for the input! For those of you that have a roommate from your dental school, how did you meet? your first semester of first year? I know the area that I will living in, i would need to sign up for rent before i start school.

i opted for the graduate housing provided by penn since i didn't know the area very well. the housing office randomly placed my roomate and i together. so theoretically, it could have been an absolute disaster... but thankfully it worked out pretty well.