1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Iserson's "Getting into a Residency"

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Steiner, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Steiner

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have an older edition of Iserson's book and was reading the chapter on getting into an allopathic residency as an osteopathic graduate. It seems like a long and tedious process. A lot of paperwork you need to file with the AOA and approvals and documentation of the lack of opportunities in osteopathic graduate education, as well as yearly updates to the AOA. They also mentioned substantial non-refundable fees that must be submitted just to have the residency program you wish to attend reviewed for approval and the possibility of having to pay for an on-sight inspection. Anyone know if these are still the current policies on getting into an MD residency as a DO?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I've heard the same things about this book. When was it published?

4. Steiner

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There's been a number of editions, I have the 5th. The most recent is the 7th. It was just released last November I think. It's supposed to be the Bible as far as how to match into certain specialties.

5. SexPanther

SexPanther This could be a problem
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It is worth reading in my opinion. As far as AOA crap goes, if you don't want to live in the five states that require a DO internship, just don't do it.

In fact, some allopathic places will have a required internship integrated into the residency so an AOA one isn't doable. You can always petition, but I don't think it is worth my effort.

6. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Nah, I did an allopathic EM residency. Barely any paperwork that I can remember. In fact, to do the AOA Resolution 42 to have my allopathic PGY1 year count as an osteopathic internship (to practice in the five states), it was easy peasy. Took maybe 15 minutes to write up my "reasons" for waiver.

I wouldn't necessarily say "its the Bible." Its a decent guide. I can't remember any of my classmates ever using that book.... In fact, I would think SDN is a better reference!

Q

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Isersons book is useless and out-of-date.

Talk to upperclassmen and your ERAS advisor on campus