Program-Specific Info / Q's ISO info on Kean University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2019futureot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to the MOT program at Kean University. I am seeking information from any current or former Kean MOT students regarding their experience with the program. I am also interested in hearing from other students accepted into the fall 2017 program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been accepted to the MOT program at Kean University. I am seeking information from any current or former Kean MOT students regarding their experience with the program. I am also interested in hearing from other students accepted into the fall 2017 program.

Congratulations! I applied close to the deadline so I'm worried the class will be filled up before they look at my app. When did you apply?

I don't know much about the school other than I took the prerequisites there and really liked the campus. Clean, friendly staff, easy to get to from NYC. An OT I shadowed said it was a really great school though. So that's something.

Congratulations! I applied close to the deadline so I'm worried the class will be filled up before they look at my app. When did you apply?

I don't know much about the school other than I took the prerequisites there and really liked the campus. Clean, friendly staff, easy to get to from NYC. An OT I shadowed said it was a really great school though. So that's something.
Thanks so much!! I applied at the end of October and went for my interview in December. I haven't taken the Intro to OT prerequisite and will have to take it over the summer. I wish you luck and hope that you hear from them soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
WELL... I lived in NJ and my sister went to undergrad there so I know quite a bit about the school itself.

- Union kinda blows as a city, but it is close to Hoboken, Jersey City, and NYC which have more going on.
- The university as a whole was put on probation a few years ago, but they've been tightening up the ship since then. I believe they revamped their OT program, adding new pre-reqs, etc.
- Kean is a state school, so its significantly cheaper, which is a bonus.
- Financial aid SUCKS (limited financial aid, staff is hot and cold - but you are dealing with humans after all)
- Campus is beautiful and they are constantly renovating it.

WELL... I lived in NJ and my sister went to undergrad there so I know quite a bit about the school itself.

- Union kinda blows as a city, but it is close to Hoboken, Jersey City, and NYC which have more going on.
- The university as a whole was put on probation a few years ago, but they've been tightening up the ship since then. I believe they revamped their OT program, adding new pre-reqs, etc.
- Kean is a state school, so its significantly cheaper, which is a bonus.
- Financial aid SUCKS (limited financial aid, staff is hot and cold - but you are dealing with humans after all)
- Campus is beautiful and they are constantly renovating it.

Thank you for the info. I didn't know that they had some problems in the past but were given a ten year accreditation so must have made the necessary improvements. My concern actually is the staff. I had to make numerous phone calls and send a significant amount of emails to get information during the application process. My prerequisite questions were never answered so I just took a chance and submitted my app anyway. I'm hoping the OT department is more involved and helpful than the graduate admissions department.

As for financial aid, you're right I received my letter and did not receive any aid, just loans. I have been accepted to another program but it is twice the cost.

Hi all!
Wanted to share an experience I had with Kean admissions this week (there is a positive at the end). I received an email about a day go stating that my application could not be considered due to missing information. I immediately called my admissions counselor to voice my concerns. She told me two of my recommendations were not received. I asked her to check again because I called prior to the deadline to make sure everything was received. To make the long story short, my recommendations were received but improperly filed by someone in the office. Obviously I was concerned due to the fact that hundreds of applications are received for only 30-ish spots and didn't want my application to be overlooked due to a clerical issue.

Here's the good part. My admissions counselor was very apologetic and told me that my application is still being considered and that the vast majority of seats are still available. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all!
Wanted to share an experience I had with Kean admissions this week (there is a positive at the end). I received an email about a day go stating that my application could not be considered due to missing information. I immediately called my admissions counselor to voice my concerns. She told me two of my recommendations were not received. I asked her to check again because I called prior to the deadline to make sure everything was received. To make the long story short, my recommendations were received but improperly filed by someone in the office. Obviously I was concerned due to the fact that hundreds of applications are received for only 30-ish spots and didn't want my application to be overlooked due to a clerical issue.

Here's the good part. My admissions counselor was very apologetic and told me that my application is still being considered and that the vast majority of seats are still available. Good luck to everyone!
I'm so glad they rectified the problem for you. Good luck to you. Hope you hear from them soon.

I wonder how filled the class is at this point? I interviewed today and I thought it went well...I should hear within two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview was last Friday. I guess I can given it another couple of days then. Did they contact you by phone?
When I got my acceptance to Kean, they informed me by phone then followed up in the mail. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
My interview was last Friday. I guess I can given it another couple of days then. Did they contact you by phone?
They're all traveling to the AOTA Conference so they may get back to you next week once everyone gets back. They called me but I expected it to be a much longer wait because of the conference.

Thanks guys! Did you get a tour of the care facility afterwards? I'm wondering if it is some sort of consolation prize if the interview did not go well...lol.

Thanks guys! Did you get a tour of the care facility afterwards? I'm wondering if it is some sort of consolation prize if the interview did not go well...lol.

I didn't get a tour of the clinic. Have you heard back yet? Good luck!!

I didn't get a tour of the clinic. Have you heard back yet? Good luck!!

Hi! I haven't heard back yet. I got a tour of the facility but I read in another thread that someone who got the tour ended up being waitlisted. I'm probably just being paranoid and reading too much into this though. Thanks for your help btw!

I was given a tour and was accepted so it isn't a consolation prize.