isobaric tetracaine for cesarean?

Started by panetrain
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not ideal for OB, but it's what the pharmacy has available.

The level gonna get high enough with isobaric?? I’d be tempted to just place epidurals and use lido - and yes I realize an SAB is a better anesthetic.
 
Anyone using 1% isotonic isobaric tetracaine for cesarean? Our hyperbaric 0.75% bupivacaine is on back order until April.
I’d be telling your pharmacy that stuff is good for eye drops.
Sections? Not so much
 
Do you have D10 to turn tetracaine 2% into hyperbaric 1%? That should be fine.
On another note, Anybody know why hyperbaric 5% Lidocaine for spinal disappeared?
 
Pretty sure bc it causes TNS

Has been known for decades, but was still available. Still used it occasionally for the outpatient that I really wanted to do a spinal on but was willing to accept TNS as the cost of doing business.
 
We use tetracaine for the bilateral knees and that one ortho guy (you know the one. He takes forever, but thinks he's quick).

I dont see why it wouldn't be effective for a section.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No. No one is doing the crazy thing you describe. Your pharmacy is pathetic.


Yeah our pharmacy told us they couldn’t get roc for awhile last year. When I asked my buddy at another hospital he replied, “what roc shortage?”