isobaric tetracaine for cesarean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panetrain

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone using 1% isotonic isobaric tetracaine for cesarean? Our hyperbaric 0.75% bupivacaine is on back order until April.

Members don't see this ad.

tetracaine? haven't seen that stuff in years - your OR actually stocks it? why do you want something so long-acting for OB anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
Not ideal for OB, but it's what the pharmacy has available.

The level gonna get high enough with isobaric?? I’d be tempted to just place epidurals and use lido - and yes I realize an SAB is a better anesthetic.

Anyone using 1% isotonic isobaric tetracaine for cesarean? Our hyperbaric 0.75% bupivacaine is on back order until April.
I’d be telling your pharmacy that stuff is good for eye drops.
Sections? Not so much

Do you have D10 to turn tetracaine 2% into hyperbaric 1%? That should be fine.
On another note, Anybody know why hyperbaric 5% Lidocaine for spinal disappeared?

Reactions: 1 user
Tetracaine is crazy (lasts a long ass time). 0.5% bupi is doable. There was a thread about this exact topic recently. Search for it

Pretty sure bc it causes TNS

Has been known for decades, but was still available. Still used it occasionally for the outpatient that I really wanted to do a spinal on but was willing to accept TNS as the cost of doing business.

Just put in an epidural. Tetracaine in OB is absurd.

Has been known for decades, but was still available. Still used it occasionally for the outpatient that I really wanted to do a spinal on but was willing to accept TNS as the cost of doing business.
Mepivacaine fills that role, mostly. Comparable rate of TNS. I used to use it for cerclages.

We use tetracaine for the bilateral knees and that one ortho guy (you know the one. He takes forever, but thinks he's quick).

I dont see why it wouldn't be effective for a section.