Isolation and loneliness in training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dontdoit1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I never had to deal with that level of isolation, but I was dealing with a family tragedy early in my residency and had some serious loneliness/despair issues consequent to that. Remember that you're doing this for a reason, there's a light at the end of the tunnel (only 4.5 months!!), and the payoff is worth the price. You can get through this. You've already made it so far, and the forces that have sustained you to this point (your family, your faith, your skills, your resilience, etc.) won't fail you now. You're rounding the last turn in a long-distance race. Hang in there and power through to the finish line.

Reactions: 6 users
Start the countdown. Use this thread to do it. Think of it like a military deployment (google donut of misery). You really only have 10 weeks to go because with 8 weeks left, you’ll start being able to plan.

Do you have a job lined up? It’s important that the next step not suck.

Sounds like this year is the worst.
Think of it this way: you’ve not only made it, but succeeded, in 4 years of high school, 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 3-5 years of residency depending on your specialty. And now you’re halfway through your first and worst year of fellowship. That’s 1/16th of what you’ve been through already! You’ve had the fortitude to make it this far, you definitely have what it takes to survive the last leg.
if you’re lonely, use FaceTime. When I was in fellowship I was long distance w my husband for the entire year. I used to FaceTime him in the evenings and just keep the thing on as I went about my night, so the FaceTime would be on as I sat on the couch reading, and it kind of felt like he was nearby even though he wasn’t. If you have a family member or friend who is willing to do that, try it. (Just make sure you’re charging as you do it as it drains battery real fast).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I used to do that with hubby when he was on rural rotation. Sometimes I’d go to bed with the laptop next to me in bed and fall asleep with him on FaceTime and he’d log out when he saw me fall asleep... hang in there.