ISU vs Mizzou

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animalsnstuff

Reaction score
Hi guys! I’ve been accepted at both Missouri and Iowa state. I really don’t know which is a better fit for me. I’m OOS for both from Illinois but Missouri offers in-state residency after a year which is a huge advantage cost-wise. I’m hoping some current students or alum can give me some insight on what it’s like at each schools and what they like/dislike most. For missouri I am particularly worried about the workload with extended semesters the first two years. For Iowa I’m worried about not wanting to have to choose a track. I am moving with my boyfriend who will help support me which is helpful but I am also trying to take into consideration that he will be looking for jobs that are also Animal related and so far it looks like he will have options in both Columbia and Ames (especially swine). I am hoping to visit both campuses even if I can’t go inside buildings but are current students happy with the classrooms and facilities?
Thanks for any help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! I’ve been accepted at both Missouri and Iowa state. I really don’t know which is a better fit for me. I’m OOS for both from Illinois but Missouri offers in-state residency after a year which is a huge advantage cost-wise. I’m hoping some current students or alum can give me some insight on what it’s like at each schools and what they like/dislike most. For missouri I am particularly worried about the workload with extended semesters the first two years. For Iowa I’m worried about not wanting to have to choose a track. I am moving with my boyfriend who will help support me which is helpful but I am also trying to take into consideration that he will be looking for jobs that are also Animal related and so far it looks like he will have options in both Columbia and Ames (especially swine). I am hoping to visit both campuses even if I can’t go inside buildings but are current students happy with the classrooms and facilities?
Thanks for any help in advance!
I graduated from ISU in 2017. Go to the cheaper school.

At ISU, tracking doesn’t really affect you until your clinical year. Before then, everyone is taking the same courses, with a few electives sprinkled in. Tracking affects which rotations you take. For example, people who track small animal are expected to take 2 rotations of small animal internal med (makes sense, right?), but people who track large animal only need one. Info on the rotations required for each track are on ISU’s website.

ISU has been renovating their classroom spaces in the past couple of years, so I can’t speak to what it’s like right now. There is one giant building, and all of your classes are there. It’s nice in the winter when you don’t have to go outdoors in the subzero weather. Study spaces in the school are scarce since the library in the building is small, and there are very few study rooms available. I studied at home often, since it was nice to be away from that huge building where I spent my whole day. I also used the library on main campus when my pets were being too disruptive.

I think ISU is great, but no school is worth taking on thousands of dollars of debt that you don’t need to have.