Ite prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkell101

UDGRAD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prelim required to take ite soon.....done with step3....how do I study?

I've read the other forums debating several sources.

How do you feel about ITE prep plan including M/M plus Hall questions for an intern?

Other forums talk about Big Miller, Barash, and Big Blue....I read M/M front to back last year....re-read MM (no way I rememeber everything) or start on something else?

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This has been covered ad nauseam in other threads.

Baby Miller. It's money. That's all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do ACE as a resident. Waste of money for small number of questions.

It never ceases to amaze me that residents have the time or the motivation to read/study. Besides reading up on a few topics pertinent to cases I was doing, I didn't read a lick during residency. And I don't think I was the exception.

It never ceases to amaze me that residents have the time or the motivation to read/study. Besides reading up on a few topics pertinent to cases I was doing, I didn't read a lick during residency. And I don't think I was the exception.
Some programs put an emphasis on the ITE, for better or worse. Some provide incentives (paying for written boards, traveling to big meetings, etc) for those who do well. Some programs will hold residents back or label them as being slow if they do poorly. I had to read durin residency because those were in play at my program.

Some programs put an emphasis on the ITE, for better or worse. Some provide incentives (paying for written boards, traveling to big meetings, etc) for those who do well. Some programs will hold residents back or label them as being slow if they do poorly. I had to read durin residency because those were in play at my program.

In addition, starting next year CA-1s have to take the first part of the ABA boards...who knows what programs will do with those who do well or those who do poorly.

In addition, starting next year CA-1s have to take the first part of the ABA boards...who knows what programs will do with those who do well or those who do poorly.

The written boards are going to be taken CA-1 year? WTF? That's like taking USMLE Step 3 MS-1 year.

The written boards are going to be taken CA-1 year? WTF? That's like taking USMLE Step 3 MS-1 year.

It's not the exact same boards...they are splitting the written boards into two parts. The first part is supposed to be the basics (phys, pharm, etc), and the second will be a more in depth clinical exam.. First part is taken at the end of CA-1 and second part is taken just like the boards are currently done.

Last edited:
I know it's been covered ad nauseum but anybody use Hall for the ITE?

I mostly do focused, case based reading from a variety of sources (for cases and general knowledge), but I need to be more strategic. For a CA2, what's the best bang for the buck with one month to go.

I can't do it all. I'm going to ONLY use one source since it's only 4 weeks to go. Should I do Hall Q's or read BabyMiller?

Members don't see this ad :)
CA-1 here, am in the same boat. Looking through Anesthesia board review --clinical pearls with maybe a sprinkling of Hall Qs. I have about a month to go, so would like to do focused reading. Not looking to do 90th%, just want to show improvement from previous ITE and AKT-6 (which didn't go well btw).

CA-1 here, am in the same boat. Looking through Anesthesia board review --clinical pearls with maybe a sprinkling of Hall Qs. I have about a month to go, so would like to do focused reading. Not looking to do 90th%, just want to show improvement from previous ITE and AKT-6 (which didn't go well btw).

What's anesthesia board review - clinical pearls?

im using faust. i have like 33 chapters to go.

im probably just gonna go through keywords and Hall. i may consider baby miller in addition to keywords/Hall.

CA-1 here, as well.

Oh boy . . . prelim med intern - I haven't had a second to read for this. I'm still preparing for Step III which I'm taking in April when I have elective. I have an anesthesiology elective end of Feb which I'm hoping will help prep me a little for my ITE. Going to UT Houston and they want a 38th percentile for ITE - my hair is either falling out or turning gray . . .

Oh boy . . . prelim med intern - I haven't had a second to read for this. I'm still preparing for Step III which I'm taking in April when I have elective. I have an anesthesiology elective end of Feb which I'm hoping will help prep me a little for my ITE. Going to UT Houston and they want a 38th percentile for ITE - my hair is either falling out or turning gray . . .

38th %ile as an intern? I call BS.

38th %ile as an intern? I call BS.
Seriously... That's a significant expectation for an intern assuming the anesthesia department hasn't done anything for them yet. What do they do if you are in the lower 1/3 (1/3!) of all interns?

Neverthess, that's what was in the letter they mailed me back in June. I did get a free copy of lange and a CD of their lectures which was cool, but it's not like I have any time to read/prepare. :-/ Seriously hope this does't get me kicked out or something if I do badly.

Neverthess, that's what was in the letter they mailed me back in June. I did get a free copy of lange and a CD of their lectures which was cool, but it's not like I have any time to read/prepare. :-/ Seriously hope this does't get me kicked out or something if I do badly.

I'm sure they are just setting lofty goals in order to guilt you into studying. They probably just don't want you to completely blow it off, especially considering that you will be the first class to take the basic ABA boards.

What's that mean?

The written boards are being split into two parts:

It's not the exact same boards...they are splitting the written boards into two parts. The first part is supposed to be the basics (phys, pharm, etc), and the second will be a more in depth clinical exam.. First part is taken at the end of CA-1 and second part is taken just like the boards are currently done.

Don't let the "requirement" ruin your coif.

What they've done is simply charted outcomes and done some "calculations" for our program specifically. According to the program director the cut-off score on the CA-0 ITE for those who go on to pass the boards after graduation is 38%.

They don't adequately explain this in the letter if I remember correctly. I was a gen surg prelim and didn't study AT ALL. I DID NOT get a 38%. I'm still here, trying not to kill people.

You will take the AKT-0 and AKT-1 when you arrive in August. The purpose of this is basically to see how effective/ineffective the so called T-mode month is. It seems to me that no matter if the T-mode month was good, great or terrible the scores would all go up some just from the immersion effect. It also probably provides more data points for the charting outcomes they are performing on us (you). The AKT-6 does have some implications for us. In order to moonlight internally or externally you must have above a 50%. The same is true for the CA-1 ITE but I can't remember the score.

As for my personal studying for AKT-6 I have done all of the hall questions and read most of MM since starting CA-1. There is also a study guide that goes around between Baylor and UTH that is specific for AKT-6. You'll get that when the time comes. In addition, this year our CA-1 class has compiled reviews of many of the chapters of Baby Miller each one made by a single resident. It's still in the process of completion. You'll get that as well.

As for the CA-0 ITE, I'm not sure anything more than baby miller will be beneficial. Just don't get fired from your internship and you'll be fine. See you in August.

Another CA-0 here.

Have not been reading at all and haven't done an anesthesiology rotation in over a year at this point.

Pretty concerned about takin the ITE especially since it'll be during the same month I'll be preparing for Step 3.

Is there any point in trying to cram for a month at this point? And if so, what do you recommend for a single month of prep as a CA-0?

Seriously... That's a significant expectation for an intern assuming the anesthesia department hasn't done anything for them yet. What do they do if you are in the lower 1/3 (1/3!) of all interns?

So you need to do better than the other 62% of anesthesia interns in the country. That is not a ridiculous expectation if you assume you're a mid-tier to upper-tier program is it.

Based on last year's scaling, for CA-0/PGY1 folks, that is 18 or 20 correct questions out of 50 depending on if you're advanced or categorical.

I'd focus on basic physiology and pharmacology if I had the burning desire to study 1st year since some of that will be fresh from med school. I thought there was some simpler stuff I could reason through based on paying attention on medicine or surgery services.

So you need to do better than the other 62% of anesthesia interns in the country. That is not a ridiculous expectation if you assume you're a mid-tier to upper-tier program is it.

Based on last year's scaling, for CA-0/PGY1 folks, that is 18 or 20 correct questions out of 50 depending on if you're advanced or categorical.

I'd focus on basic physiology and pharmacology if I had the burning desire to study 1st year since some of that will be fresh from med school. I thought there was some simpler stuff I could reason through based on paying attention on medicine or surgery services.
It doesn't matter what "tier" you're in. If the program has done nothing for you that's a lofty expectation. It's reasonable to assume interns don't have dedicated anesthesia didactics, are focused on the rotations they're on, and likely are preparing or recently prepared for the step 3. It is unreasonable, at least to me, to base an expectation on the name written on the side of the building.

Perhaps they do have didactics. Perhaps they utilize their "strategic napping" time to read M&M. At face value, though, it is alarming to me.