Ite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrs_doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My Z score was -1 on ITE (FP)and the PD told me that I may not find a job after graduation from residency because:

1- low ITE scores
2- If i don't pass the board exam after residency(which is possible giving my low ITE scores)

I am so scared...what are my chances?
Can someone not have a job after completing residency(primary care)?
I have never been on probation/remediation etc...(the only issue is ITE)

Thanks all for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Assuming a normal distribution, a Z score of -1 puts you around the 16th percentile. I don't know anything about FP. What % fail their boards?

16th %ile isn't great but you've got time.

What do you do? You study and pass the board exam.

Maybe take a review course. Maybe block off 30 minutes or an hour EVERY day, however tired you are, to do board prep, starting now. Whatever - what you've been doing has put you at you at risk of failure, so change what you're doing in some meaningful way.

The whole point of the ITE exams is to let people like you know that your knowledge might not be up to passing. Don't panic, take the data point for what it is, and change what you're doing.

And I find it hard to believe that any group anywhere in any specialty gives the slightest tiny crap about anyone's ITE scores.

I highly doubt that when you are looking for jobs someone will ask you your ITE scores.

However, it is very important for you to pass your boards. Many hospitals and groups now require it as a condition of employment, and some insurers are now looking at board certification status as well. (you may get a few chances to pass, but being board certified is very important). Generally speaking, scoring below a certain score on your ITE correlates to a likelihood of failing the boards. I don't know what it is for FP, but for General Surgery it's anything under the 25-30th percentile. If your score puts you at the 16th percentile like the other poster suggests, there is reason for your PD to be concerned.

The bottom line is, change your study habits now to improve your ITE scores. You may need to devise a study plan (x pages a day or a chapter every 3 days or something similar, depending on what resources you use) and stick to it. And then when it's time to take the boards, make sure to employ these new habits as well.