1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

it's all a hoax

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Gumshoe, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member
    10+ Year Member

So many people can do this med school stuff. Such a pain in the ass. Do interviews really put you over the top? It seems like it is really crazy how they decide to go with some candidates and not go with others. I think it's all a hoax. I'm getting in though. Ride with me.

Gumshoe

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Um, I have no idea what half your post is saying but I will try to address it anyway.

1. Yes, getting into med school is hard as heck. That is why being a doctor is one of the top 3 most respected professions and why they are so well paid.

2. Interviews can distinguish you from others with similars stats and backgrounds. Once you get an interview, you have anywhere from a 1/3-1/2 chance of getting into that school.

3. There is in general a strict methodology used to pick candidates. MCAT and GPA are the most important factors, and then ECs and interview factor in as well but arent as important. The only thing random about interviews is who you have asking the question, otherwise, interviewing doesnt differ too terribly much between schools

4. I dont see how its a hoax. I think sending secondaries to applicants who have no chance of getting in just to collect their money is a hoax, and I think asking students where else they applied is also a hoax. But overall, the process is pretty darn good. It has an objective component (MCAT/GPA) and a subjective component (EC/Interviews), and adcoms are pretty good about picking the right students for their school.

Ultimately, no one will ever be happy with adcoms, just like no one will ever be happy with officiating in sports. But they are much better than the alternative of not having them at all...

4. zingyraindrop

zingyraindrop Member
    7+ Year Member

Just curious, what are the other 2 most respected professions?

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Jot, just noticed the zmag.org in your member title. I didnt know you were a lefty. Have you checked out http://www.democracynow.org/ ?

6. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

Oh I dunno, I was just leaving open the possibility that doctors might not be the MOST respected (you can make arguments for teachers, professors, religious-types). just didnt want to sound too arrogant.

7. At least according to the last poll I heard judges were #1 with an ~86% approval rating followed by doctors with something in the low 80s or high 70s. I'm amazed that docs are still that high. Well, I guess they lead an interesting life and that's why half the shows on TV are about 'em.

8. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

Yeah, Judge Judy really brings up the profile of judges compared to ER for doctors =P

9. rat-tickler

rat-tickler Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. this is generally how i feel whenever i post. it's very amusing. thanks for making me laugh.

10. 8744

8744 Guest

Non-Student
    1. Military Officers.
    2. Engineers

11. Pre-Dent-David

Pre-Dent-David Super Hero
    7+ Year Member

#35 hobos

#38 pastry chefs

etc....

12. 14457