it's all a hoax

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So many people can do this med school stuff. Such a pain in the ass. Do interviews really put you over the top? It seems like it is really crazy how they decide to go with some candidates and not go with others. I think it's all a hoax. I'm getting in though. Ride with me.

Gumshoe

Members don't see this ad.

Um, I have no idea what half your post is saying but I will try to address it anyway.

1. Yes, getting into med school is hard as heck. That is why being a doctor is one of the top 3 most respected professions and why they are so well paid.

2. Interviews can distinguish you from others with similars stats and backgrounds. Once you get an interview, you have anywhere from a 1/3-1/2 chance of getting into that school.

3. There is in general a strict methodology used to pick candidates. MCAT and GPA are the most important factors, and then ECs and interview factor in as well but arent as important. The only thing random about interviews is who you have asking the question, otherwise, interviewing doesnt differ too terribly much between schools

4. I dont see how its a hoax. I think sending secondaries to applicants who have no chance of getting in just to collect their money is a hoax, and I think asking students where else they applied is also a hoax. But overall, the process is pretty darn good. It has an objective component (MCAT/GPA) and a subjective component (EC/Interviews), and adcoms are pretty good about picking the right students for their school.

Ultimately, no one will ever be happy with adcoms, just like no one will ever be happy with officiating in sports. But they are much better than the alternative of not having them at all...

Originally posted by Gleevec

...being a doctor is one of the top 3 most respected professions...

Just curious, what are the other 2 most respected professions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by zingyraindrop
Just curious, what are the other 2 most respected professions?

Oh I dunno, I was just leaving open the possibility that doctors might not be the MOST respected (you can make arguments for teachers, professors, religious-types). just didnt want to sound too arrogant.

At least according to the last poll I heard judges were #1 with an ~86% approval rating followed by doctors with something in the low 80s or high 70s. I'm amazed that docs are still that high. Well, I guess they lead an interesting life and that's why half the shows on TV are about 'em.

Yeah, Judge Judy really brings up the profile of judges compared to ER for doctors =P

Originally posted by Gleevec
Um, I have no idea what half your post is saying but I will try to address it anyway.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. this is generally how i feel whenever i post. it's very amusing. thanks for making me laugh.

#35 hobos

#38 pastry chefs

etc....