It’s a tough time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polkman789

Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
So sorry to hear that, OP. This process is tough with little rhyme or reason sometimes.

If you would like anyone to look over your school list or writing, I'm sure you can find people here who are willing to help. (myself included).

Keep your head up (easier said than done) and best wishes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So sorry to hear that, OP. This process is tough with little rhyme or reason sometimes.

If you would like anyone to look over your school list or writing, I'm sure you can find people here who are willing to help. (myself included).

Keep your head up (easier said than done) and best wishes.
Thank you much, I appreciate it :)

I think it's a good idea get someone knowledgeable to read your app. But I agree that med school admissions is getting absolutely insane- I had better stats than most students at Harvard/Mayo and hundreds of research/thousands of clinical and community volunteer hours and I just got into my state school.

It's easy to say since I'm a med student now, but please please please don't be too hard on yourself. You have obviously worked VERY hard. This is less a reflection on you and more a reflection on the fact that the U.S. medical system is straight up weird. If you're persistent, you'll get here.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Are you still waiting to hear from any schools? Because I think some are still sending out interview invites?

Also, what’s your home state?

I am yeah, 15 to still hear from though a few seem to have stopped sending interviews out. I’m holding out hope for the rest that still are. I’m from Michigan.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
3.8 & 516 with 700 nonclinical volunteering, 1000 hours clinical employment, 300 hours nonclinical employment, 350 hours research with a publication, good letters, nothing close to any red flags——zero interviews after being complete in august. Only thing I can think of is my writing, so I’ll be working to improve that for this coming cycle. Just crazy how things work out.
I applied to 25 schools, mostly mid and low tiers. Only 7 were in the top 30. Just wanted to rant. Good luck y’all.
It's possible that you have a bad LOR

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely a difficult possibility but might be the case here. Not necessarily malicious, just a prof that doesn't know what adcoms want in a letter.
A bad LOR is exactly that. They're rare, and they catch the eye of the reader immediately. They specifically state the students flaw(s).

Reactions: 1 users
It wasn’t a bad LOR, I’m sure of that. I worked with my writers closely whether in classes or research, they all knew me well.

• Care
Statistics may be against you.

MCAT scores for accepted men last year was 512.7, women 511.3. 56% of matriculants were women.

42% of acceptees identified as white alone, while 62% of the American population identifies as white alone.

Statistics may be against you.

MCAT scores for accepted men last year was 512.7, women 511.3. 56% of matriculants were women.

42% of acceptees identified as white alone, while 62% of the American population identifies as white alone.
The most recent AAMC Tables A-8 and A-9 indicate that 41.5% of applicants identified as white alone and 42.3% of matriculants identified as white alone.

Moreover, 56.6% of applicants were female, and 55.7% of matriculants were female.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
The Michigan medical schools will be doing their recruitment tour along I-94 this month. Make sure you attend at the appropriate undergraduate campus. Figure out where you could change your application approach.

I gotta say, the OP didn't disclose whether or not they are ORM or URM. They have a really good GPA, a very solid MCAT, and gobs of hours across the board. It seems like they were targeting appropriate level schools and, if I were them, I would be very disappointed too. Chin up my friend. Also, I agree with you, perhaps your PS and/or secondaries need a bit of work - get expert help reviewing these.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
3.8 & 516 with 700 nonclinical volunteering, 1000 hours clinical employment, 300 hours nonclinical employment, 350 hours research with a publication, good letters, nothing close to any red flags——zero interviews after being complete in august. Only thing I can think of is my writing, so I’ll be working to improve that for this coming cycle. Just crazy how things work out.
I applied to 25 schools, mostly mid and low tiers. Only 7 were in the top 30. Just wanted to rant. Good luck y’all.
OP, please don’t be hard on yourself. IMO, this is an example of great applicants falling through the cracks. The culprit here is that the concept of having to apply to every individual school and thereby exaggerating the demand exponentially. I have personally seen too many cases, countless in fact, all with 3.8+ and 520+ falling through the cracks . But nothing will change. Best of luck to you.

OP, please don’t be hard on yourself. IMO, this is an example of great applicants falling through the cracks. The culprit here is that the concept of having to apply to every individual school and thereby exaggerating the demand exponentially. I have personally seen too many cases, countless in fact, all with 3.8+ and 520+ falling through the cracks . But nothing will change. Best of luck to you.
Good points. Appreciate the reply