It's almost May 15...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsJLewis

Retired Pre-med
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.. where are you heading??? Inquiring minds would like to know! ;)

First of all, congrats to everyone here for the amazing list of schools! We've been following each other's successes this cycle and I think it would be nice to know where everyone is headed this fall (If you've made the decision already!)

I'm torn between Columbia and UCSF. I have no clue what to decide! Anyone else set on where they're going??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm torn between UCSF and Vandy. I wish you could have come to second look, I would have really liked to meet you. Daah well, the deadline to make a decision is coming up pretty quickly. I'm nervous but also anxious to finally finish this process and move on with life.

Well good luck to both of you in your decision making. I can't wait until I am in your shoes :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am heading to stony brook unless i get off the sinai waitlist. I used to hate the idea of going there, when i applied it was actually a last choice for me, but it's moved up quickly and now i'm actually really really excited for it. Although it does make me nervous that i don't see many URMs on the stony brook accepted students thing...but there were a lot of people at the minority event in the city so hopefully it'll be a good mix. All of the people i met at revisit were great.

I'm 99% sure that I'll be heading off to Columbia which I am so excited about! I'm just waiting for the financial aid office to re-calculate my award (long, long story and apparently, Columbia is notoriously slow at administrative stuff like this) but barring some major catastrophe, that's where I'll be!

MsJLewis--good luck with that decision. You really can't go wrong (as much as I'd love for you to be my classmate :D)

Aaj--Congrats on Stony Brook and I'm sending good vibes that you get off the waitlist at Mt. Sinai. And as for the minority presence, I wonder if all the SNMA groups at the NY schools ever get together for events/workshops/etc. I have no idea if they do but that would be a great way to network

CDU/UCLA... the mission, both schools, students, faculty... all amazing. I was also VERY (and pleasantly) surprised that the financial aid award also made this my cheapest option.

So goodbye Tejas... California here I come.

Congrats again to all you guys. Looking at that list for the class of 2012 makes me very proud with how we rocked this cycle. But I hope the class of 2013 does even better!

University of Washington! Adios Tejas! Hello Seattle!

I'm torn between UCSF and Vandy. I wish you could have come to second look, I would have really liked to meet you. Daah well, the deadline to make a decision is coming up pretty quickly. I'm nervous but also anxious to finally finish this process and move on with life.

Well there is still the slim possibility that I may end up at UCSF. I'm just trying to figure out if UCSF is "worth" the extra $50k I would have to pay. How did your financial stuff work out for you at UCSF? Is that full ride to vandy still tempting? What happened to USC??

And there is always SNMA conferences!

Well good luck to both of you in your decision making. I can't wait until I am in your shoes :)

Good luck to you too!

MsJLewis--good luck with that decision. You really can't go wrong (as much as I'd love for you to be my classmate :D)

Thanks! Columbia is great. This is where I am currently leaning! Its 60-40 at this point.

AAJ -- I hope you get some waitlist love from Mt. Sinai!

Everyone esle, congrats!

Last edited:
Well there is still the slim possibility that I may end up at UCSF. I'm just trying to figure out if UCSF is "worth" the extra $50k I would have to pay. How did your financial stuff work out for you at UCSF? Is that full ride to vandy still tempting? What happened to USC??

And there is always SNMA conferences!
I'm grappling with the same question.

Financial aid worked out aite at UCSF. I wrote Dean Wofsy a note asking that I be strongly considered for a scholarship and he delivered. It wasn't full-tution, and with the high cost of living in SF I'm looking at 50-60K more.

I decided to leave LA. Which sucks because I loved USC, if it were in SF, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

And yeah, there are always SNMA conferences. I really hope to see yall at them because all of you have been incredibly helpful and supportive during this entire process. I really appreciate everyone's support.

you know I've thought realllly long and hard about this...and I took a lot of factors into account...but I finally decided on Howard!! LOL Ok, I know everyone knew/knows that's where I'll be, but I wanted to be able to contribute to the thread :) Congrats to everyone about the scholarship opportunities, let alone saying please consider me, and they do! That's fab! My philosophy has always been "it can't hurt to ask" so this is a case in point.

I definitely plan to be at the SNMA conf next year in NO, so hopefully I'll see you all there! And we can finally meet in person. I hope HUCM will be able to provide the funds to send me, or at least offset costs for freshmen. I second flaahless sentiment, that you all are/have been really great this year and really helped me in this process :biglove:

So many potential Columbia ppl here...I'll be sure to let you all know if/when I make it up to NYC during the semester. :)

I can't believe we are all almost done with this whole process...

Congratulations to everyone!!!!!!! Those are pretty amazng acceptances!!!..If you couldn't gather from my signature line I am going to wake forest... i couldn't pass up the scholarships :) I even have my lease for our new apartment on my table!!!

It feels like we have all been going through this process together since it started...the support and advice on this forum is sooo wonderful, it was hard applying to med school and being a little older and out of school because most people can't relate to your stress during the process...but having a place to vent and get advice has been very helpful...I hope we do meet at the snma conferences in the future!!!

good luck to those still making decisions...it will come to you!!!

good idea for the thread ms j.!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's so hard to say good bye to these schools. It was such an honor to receive an acceptance, and here I am turning them down.

It's so hard to say good bye to these schools. It was such an honor to receive an acceptance, and here I am turning them down.

RandomBlackMan, I think I'm most curious about your decision. Please let us know when you've decided.
I'll let you all know in like a week...I'm being watch on sdn so I don't want to give up too much.

Thanks for all the support and God bless you all with your decisions and transitions to the medical world.:hardy:

I'm graduating and applying for the 2009 cycle so am not really supposed to be involved in this thread, but I have one quick question. I love to give everybody the benefit of the doubt, but how can we believe that everyone here who says they were accepted to certain schools actually were? I mean it would be pretty naive in my opinion to believe everyone's MDApplicant profile and various acceptances. I would love to believe everyone on here, but I personally take everything people say on here with a grain of salt and appreciate all the information and guidance given when inquired for. But to bestow glory and praise upon certain people for their acceptances without evidence, for instance randomblackmanx, lovelymd, among many others is quite weird. If all that is claimed is factual, I sincerely apologize, but if it is all fabricated, then self-esteem of the individual should be closely monitored.

We're all pretty paranoid on some level but to create a whole MDAPPs and engage in multiple, in depth threads and not to mention to build relationships (although possibly fleeting) on this would be pretty sadistic. At that point, who's to say you're even a med school applicant? But lets get real. There's no harm in congratulating hard work and and building comaraderie on the shear chance that these people are telling the truth.

I'm graduating and applying for the 2009 cycle so am not really supposed to be involved in this thread, but I have one quick question. I love to give everybody the benefit of the doubt, but how can we believe that everyone here who says they were accepted to certain schools actually were? I mean it would be pretty naive in my opinion to believe everyone's MDApplicant profile and various acceptances. I would love to believe everyone on here, but I personally take everything people say on here with a grain of salt and appreciate all the information and guidance given when inquired for. But to bestow glory and praise upon certain people for their acceptances without evidence, for instance randomblackmanx, lovelymd, among many others is quite weird. If all that is claimed is factual, I sincerely apologize, but if it is all fabricated, then self-esteem of the individual should be closely monitored.

i think that any logically-thinking, level-headed individual would know that, since this is an anonymous internet message board site, EVERYTHING on here should be taken with a gain of salt. so it would seem that you are only stating the blatantly obvious.

however, in my past experience, i have found that the term "logically thinking pre-med" is, often times, an oxymoron; or a misnomer, at best. none the less, continue to be skeptical and question everything - especially when dealing with a medium of expression as anonymous as this one. plus, at the end of the day, isn't skepticism is one of the pillars upon which science (and to a degree, medicine) is built?

none-the-less, enough rambling from an old head such as myself. best luck with the coming application cycle. and try to get whatever guidance you can the names listed on that c/o 2012 thread for the schools that you're targeting. because brother, it ain't no cake walk. :D

We're all pretty paranoid on some level but to create a whole MDAPPs and engage in multiple, in depth threads and not to mention to build relationships (although possibly fleeting) on this would be pretty sadistic. At that point, who's to say you're even a med school applicant? But lets get real. There's no harm in congratulating hard work and and building comaraderie on the shear chance that these people are telling the truth.

ditto to that

Thanks for the post Captain Obvious. What's weird (and ill-conceived) is that you felt the urgent need to share you brilliant analysis of SDN (and the internet at large) with everyone, invariably exposing your superior critical thinking skills. Here's the thing: I really don't care if you believe me or not because on a scale of 1 to 10, I rank the value of your opinions somewhere in the negative billions.

The truth is that I've met, conversed, and partied with several of the posters on this board. We've all experienced and shared the ups and downs of this application cycle together, providing support and encouragement when necessary. Why you feel the need to jump in here and question everyone's amazing accomplishments is beyond me. Perhaps you should "monitor" your own "self-esteem"?

It's very understandable that you (or anyone else) would be skeptical of what is written on this forum-- after all, it is anonymous and anyone can post anything they want. Very early in this cycle, I wasn't sure if all these posters were real, but when you're applying during the same cycle as others, you eventually run into them at interviews, revisit weekends, etc. and it becomes surprisingly very evident which poster is which person, especially since there aren't many URMs in medical school. For example, I've met half of the people who posted in this thread during interviews and revisits. We've called/text-messaged/facebooked/partied even celebrated a birthday with each other for months during this cycle and have gone through pretty much the entire process together.

You may even find this happening next cycle if keep up with SDN during your application cycle.
(Btw, the same holds true for the pre-allo forum-- I've definitely met a few of them in person and it really isn't hard to tell who is who).

Thanks for the post Captain Obvious. What's weird (and ill-conceived) is that you felt the urgent need to share you brilliant analysis of SDN (and the internet at large) with everyone, invariably exposing your superior critical thinking skills. Here's the thing: I really don't care if you believe me or not because on a scale of 1 to 10, I rank the value of your opinions somewhere in the negative billions.

The truth is that I've met, conversed, and partied with several of the posters on this board. We've all experienced and shared the ups and downs of this application cycle together, providing support and encouragement when necessary. Why you feel the need to jump in here and question everyone's amazing accomplishments is beyond me. Perhaps you should "monitor" your own "self-esteem"?
Co-sign.

Do me a favor and do not get so uptight and critical about me and my vantage point regarding the claims and praises in which people make. You are the only one who took insult to the post that I submitted which says something if you ask me. If you read the post carefully, I did mention that if I was wrong I was apologizing about the notion I had on several of the people on SDN. Grow up, the fact that I scribed out skepticism about the credibility of the many things on the website is not something to grab your nuts and squeeze on about. If you know that my perspective on you and others is wrong, brush it off your shoulders and keep it moving. My bad to all whom I offended, but please lets not crucify the outspoken "Captain Obvious." Good Luck to all in this cycle and the upcoming cycles to come, I might be a mentee to some of you in the near future.

Hallelujah Holla Back!

Do me a favor and do not get so uptight and critical about me and my vantage point regarding the claims and praises in which people make. You are the only one who took insult to the post that I submitted which says something if you ask me. If you read the post carefully, I did mention that if I was wrong I was apologizing about the notion I had on several of the people on SDN.

See below.

But to bestow glory and praise upon certain people for their acceptances without evidence, for instance randomblackmanx, lovelymd, among many others is quite weird. If all that is claimed is factual, I sincerely apologize, but if it is all fabricated, then self-esteem of the individual should be closely monitored.

I’m not uptight and critical, but I do take insult to what you said. If you had started another thread entirely, I would’ve let it go. But you felt the need to question everyone’s accomplishments near May 15th, all the while dropping my name and talking about potential self-esteem problems? The fact that I find that rude/inappropriate “say’s something?” What do you think it says if you don’t mind me “asking” you? I loved to see another display of your logical brilliance. I could careless about you being apologetic lest you were wrong; this wasn’t the place to showcase your feelings about the veracity of what’s on SDN. Harsh? Perhaps. But it’s akin to you jumping into an hour long debate in the last 3 minutes spouting off meaningless logical fallacies which do nothing to further the debate.

Grow up, the fact that I scribed out skepticism about the credibility of the many things on the website is not something to grab your nuts and squeeze on about. If you know that my perspective on you and others is wrong, brush it off your shoulders and keep it moving. My bad to all whom I offended, but please lets not crucify the outspoken "Captain Obvious." Good Luck to all in this cycle and the upcoming cycles to come, I might be a mentee to some of you in the near future.

Hallelujah Holla Back!

Haha. I am grown son. And trust me; no one is doing remotely anything you described. You opened yourself up to attack when you posted on this thread. Word of advice: think carefully about what you say/post before you put yourself out there. I am being nice; there are people both on SDN and in the real world who would eat you alive.

I personally wish I could have met all of you during this interview process...I did meet aaj and some ppl from the pre all board during this process...it is funny...even aside from me being black and a nurse...it is easy to tell who most ppl are at the interviews...:) and it is funny how many people really do converse on these boards...i don't think there was an interview that i went to that we didn't bring up sdn...i just completely found it by accident...when i was looking up the rankings for DO schools on google...

nigerianbull--
This is the internet and people lie all the time...even in person... if you talk to someone in your scool who says i got a 40 mcat...they could be lying...if you talkt to someone in person who says they were accepted into school X...they could be lying...aside from seeing everyone's mcat score and acceptance etter...you have to just take it at face value... if someone really took the time to make a false md apps...and conversed with all of us consistently for the last year... i would be impressed by all of that effort:)

I don't think anyone here is lying...i think atleast everyone has met atleast one other people during this time...but it wasn't nice of you to really come on this particular thread...and it wasn't nice of you to use specific people's names...

we aren't like that on this forum...we genuinely believe in each other and we really want all of us to succeed...

soo good luck to you next cycle...

i am sooo excited to go to NC.... i just signed my lease...it is official...wake forest it is!!!!

yeah meeting, hosting, partying with, and sharing interview/revisit experiences with each other helps-- i trust everyone on this underrepresented forum a lot more than most of SDN in general. I've hosted randomblackman in my apartment for his penn interview, met lovelymd at interviews and she even came to my birthday party, have lunch with wutwinb and hang out with her frequently, got to meet dancinrn, and i know i'm an ovelry trusting person but i wouldn't doubt anything any of them said, and most of them were able to give me great advice for interviews at my top choice schools, since they interviewed there first.

I MET NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
Why...ooo why me?:scared:

Do me a favor and do not get so uptight and critical about me and my vantage point regarding the claims and praises in which people make. You are the only one who took insult to the post that I submitted which says something if you ask me. If you read the post carefully, I did mention that if I was wrong I was apologizing about the notion I had on several of the people on SDN. Grow up, the fact that I scribed out skepticism about the credibility of the many things on the website is not something to grab your nuts and squeeze on about. If you know that my perspective on you and others is wrong, brush it off your shoulders and keep it moving. My bad to all whom I offended, but please lets not crucify the outspoken "Captain Obvious." Good Luck to all in this cycle and the upcoming cycles to come, I might be a mentee to some of you in the near future.

Hallelujah Holla Back!

I'm 87% sure that you will be a horrible doctor someday. :)

Your negativity doesn't belong in this sub-forum. :)

I kind of took offense and I'm not even one of the Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Howard (had to shout them out), UCSF, etc people on here. Like aaj said I'm probably too trusting at times, but why question the people here? Did you post the same lack of faith in the pre-allo forum regarding other's multiple acceptances?

We try to keep the hating to a minimum on this side of SDN, I would appreciate if you would try to honor that so that this can continue to be a helpful, supportive environment.

As for all of you smarty pants...I don't doubt you for a min! I think you all are fabulous!!

Edit: I met gmatt :) but I can't wait to meet the rest of you!

I kind of took offense and I'm not even one of the Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Howard (had to shout them out), UCSF, etc people on here. Like aaj said I'm probably too trusting at times, but why question the people here? Did you post the same lack of faith in the pre-allo forum regarding other's multiple acceptances?

We try to keep the hating to a minimum on this side of SDN, I would appreciate if you would try to honor that so that this can continue to be a helpful, supportive environment.

As for all of you smarty pants...I don't doubt you for a min! I think you all are fabulous!!

Edit: I met gmatt :) but I can't wait to meet the rest of you!

I think that it would be completely naive for you and everybody else on SDN to believe or fathom that I would only be questioning the people on the Underrepresented in Healthcare Forum. Can you not read my username? I only made the post because I was just expressing the views and thoughts that many people on here probably wonder about all the time, but felt apprehensive about expressing. I was unaware of the comraderie and encounters that people on here have made due to the origin of this site. Maybe next year when by the grace of God I am touring the country on interviews and such I will feel completely regretful of the comment, but until then my vantage point does not waiver.

With all said, I would like to give my first pre-professional prescription, PROZAC. Chill out people.

I think that it would be completely naive for you and everybody else on SDN to believe or fathom that I would only be questioning the people on the Underrepresented in Healthcare Forum. Can you not read my username? I only made the post because I was just expressing the views and thoughts that many people on here probably wonder about all the time, but felt apprehensive about expressing. I was unaware of the comraderie and encounters that people on here have made due to the origin of this site. Maybe next year when by the grace of God I am touring the country on interviews and such I will feel completely regretful of the comment, but until then my vantage point does not waiver.

With all said, I would like to give my first pre-professional prescription, PROZAC. Chill out people.

I can read both your name and your previous posts, and I can see that you didn't pose the same question in the pre-allo forum. Hopefully you will get that 35 that you said you will after a month of studying, and you will have just as much success as others have had this year. But think how you might feel if someone assumes you're not being truthful, because it doesn't seem "logical" that you could have had such success. Kinda insulting huh?

I am not so presumptuous as to say that I speak for the "many other people on here." I for one did not and have not questioned the validity of the posts in this area of the SDN forum. I can also say (again speaking for myself only) that I feel a sense of family here...and I for one don't take kindly to people who try to (intentionally or otherwise) disrupt that.

With that said, I have neither the time nor inclination to try to change your mind. You too will learn soon enough.

Now back to the original topic of this thread! Anyone else make any final decisions or have updates? I know there's only a couple days left..... :)

Last edited:
Are any of yall really terrified or is it just me?

Add me to the Columbia list too!! When I woke up this morning, I was 80% sure about Columbia. Now I'm 100% sure!

The only thing I'm scared about is the 6 months of anatomy that is Columbia's claim to fame. That and failing out because of my uncanny ability to fall asleep anytime, anywhere (aka narcolepsy). :laugh:

congrats on making a decision Lovely and MsJ!

I was terrified about making a decision right until a moment or two after I pressed "send" on the email withdrawing from HMS (which, by the way, took a lot of courage). Then I just felt a great sense of relief. Now I'm all about P&S and haven't looked back!

But the idea of starting med school itself it just a slight bit terrifying.
MsJ, I'm a little scared about anatomy too.. but hey, tons of P&Sers have gone through it, and we'll get through it together!

I second your sentiments guys - I'm scared about leaving Texas, moving to LA, and school in general.

It's so funny... I dream all of my life about getting into medical school somewhere awesome and studying to become a physician. Now that I'm on the cusp of starting that journey, the whole moving/starting school thing scares me sh*tless.

But I figure, the fear is what makes it exciting and worth it, right? So I'm ready to jump out of the plane screaming with a wide smile on my face and just pray to God that my parachute opens before I go splat.

It is SOOOO good to know that I'm not alone on this. And PS RandomBlackManX --> I feel you 100% on the weird dreams. I've had some WHOOPERS as of late. :D

Vandy! Vandy! Vandy!

Haha ... no pressure man ... but would really like to have you around next year.

I'm so glad I had to make my decision last friday, before I left the country. I don't think I could take another week of second guessing myself. I was terrified before I sent every one of my last withdrawals last week.

I definitely feel LovelyMD on turning down HMS. I kept telling myself I was either making the best or worst decision of my life. But deep down I knew it was the right one overall.

And RandomBlackManX good luck with your upcoming decision. Be sure to keep your peeps updated man.

Good luck to everyone else who is still undecided! I hope you all find peace in your decisions. Godspeed.

Last edited:
Vandy! Vandy! Vandy!

Haha ... no pressure man ... but would really like to have you around next year.

I'm so glad I had to make my decision last friday, before I left the country. I don't think I could take another week of second guessing myself. I was terrified before I sent every one of my last withdrawals last week.

I definitely feel LovelyMD on turning down HMS. I kept telling myself I was either making the best or worst decision of my life. But deep down I knew it was the right one overall.

And RandomBlackManX good luck with your upcoming decision. Be sure to keep your peeps updated man.

Good luck to everyone else who is still undecided! I hope you all find peace in your decisions. Godspeed.

I've reached a final decision; I will be attending HMS in the fall! Though I am very sad that you and Lovely won't be joining me next year, I am extremely happy for you both, and truly believe you guys (along with everyone else I've spoken with) are some of coolest cats I've had the pleasure of meeting. Plus, now we all have reasons to visit each other haha.

Fired up! Ready to go! :)

Absolutely.

I am really appreciating the phone calls i am getting from some of the current students who are trying to help me make the best decision possible.

Tomorrow, I mean thats the last business day to call people, figure out things, look at stuff, and think! And I will be at work the whole day. Man. Terrified is a good word.

I might use the word fluttery too though.
(It may not actually be a word.)

hiya

I find myself getting sooo scared...not sad scared just nervous/happy/anxious scared...i have the worst performance anxiety and i am getting sooo scared of my first med school exam... i am soooo bad...if u ever meet me in person i am not shy at all...but performing and taking tests scares me...not debaliting (sp?) but to the point where u can't talk with me before a test or a performance...and i keep thinking what if i fail or if i fall on stage...i think it is funny that i decided to major in both dance and bio in college...but these are the two things that i love the most

now for some reason..once i start i am fine...it is just the anticipation that gets to me..once i start i am on some type of autopilot... for instance i re ally enjoyed taking orgo tests it was all like one big puzzle...and of course i love perfoming...

...and i can't imagine the amount of work we will have in school...and what about all of the anatomy we have to remember...

but then i will have moments when i walk through the hallway at the hospital and it hits me ...in less than two months i am not going to working as a nurse anymore and i am really going to be a doctor in four years... i really did it...took the mcats, interviewed and was accepted...i have dreamt about being a doctor my whole life...and now here i am...sooo close... and then i shriek because i can't wait to learn the enormous amount of info we are going to have to learn... and i really miss spending hours studying...

i don't know if that made any sense i think most of you will be able to figure out what I mean... i apologize I just got home from a 15 hour shift:)

congrats to those who made their decisions... there are just too many of you to congratulate individually what an amazing list of schools!!!... everyone did soo well this year and i am glad that we all ended up in places that genuinely make us happy!!!

i hope we all keep in touch and get to meet at the snma conferences... i am jealous that i didn't get to meet all of you during this cycle!!

p.s. hopes defender i think fluttery is a word...if not we all know what you meant:laugh:

nightie night

It's UMichigan for me!

Congrats EkLiLiaN!

It's May 15th yall! Any updates? Flaahless, where are you heading?

I FINALLY sent in my withdrawal from UCSF today (so painful!) so I'm all in for Columbia!!

I can't believe how fast this year has gone!!! :Dand i really can't believe how expensive that process really was!!!!:eek::eek:

good luck to those waiting for waitlist movement...this is probably an exciting day for all of you as well!!!:luck::luck:

AAAAAHHHH---sorry.... random shriek of excitement at the thought of moving and starting school!!! i am sooo happy that I am moving to place with warm weather...no more upstate ny snow for me!!!

Congrats EkLiLiaN!

It's May 15th yall! Any updates? Flaahless, where are you heading?

I FINALLY sent in my withdrawal from UCSF today (so painful!) so I'm all in for Columbia!!
hahaha...

My dad says "go to vandy because it's a lot cheaper."

My mom says "go to UCSF because you've always wanted to."

I say "I need more time to decide." But in reality, time won't help. I've been agonizing over this decision for almost 2 months and I'm not any closer to an answer.

hahahahahaha

flaaahless...did u ask for an extension in making your decision or are you really waiting until like 5pm today to decide....you had such an exciting cycle and now u also have the best ending as well:)

hahaha...

My dad says "go to vandy because it's a lot cheaper."

My mom says "go to UCSF because you've always wanted to."

I say "I need more time to decide." But in reality, time won't help. I've been agonizing over this decision for almost 2 months and I'm not any closer to an answer.

UCSF....I think you would be able to pay if off. If that is what you want. But I guess my response is quite useless now, it's 5:20p.m. May 15th 2008. lol.