It's MCAT, not "MCATs"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychEpathic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate when people say, "I will be taking my mcats..." It stands for Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). There is no "s" in MCAT. It is not more than one test, damn it!

Members don't see this ad.

Esteban said:
I hate when people say, "I will be taking my mcats..." It stands for Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). There is no "s" in MCAT. It is not more than one test, damn it!
:mad:
I know what you mean! Stuff like that sends me up the wall for some reason.

Here is a worse one: How many times have you been around when someone said: "I used the ATM machine.".

They are basically saying: "I used the Automated Teller Machine machine "

Drives me nuts... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree....And agree, and agree.

I'm not clever enough to come up with my own...But I agree.

carn311 said:

Here is a worse one: How many times have you been around when someone said: "I used the ATM machine.".

Don't forget your PIN number!

taylormade44 said:
it is if you screw up

Tell me about it.

I am retaking the MCAT's in August...I wrote my PS on being OCD and having to do everything in pairs to explain why I am taking it again, hopefully they are as compassionate as they want us to be. I admit, sometimes it is a burden but my wife generally likes it. :laugh:

'Rambler

WestTexasRambler said:
Tell me about it.

I am retaking the MCAT's in August...I wrote my PS on being OCD and having to do everything in pairs to explain why I am taking it again, hopefully they are as compassionate as they want us to be. I admit, sometimes it is a burden but my wife generally likes it. :laugh:

'Rambler

You can download the AAMC tests in .pdf format. Haha.

What about when people say Walmarts instead of Walmart.

Or St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in stead of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Too many possessives!!!! :eek:

What I heard about 20 times this weekend that made me want to punch someone....MCAT test. Thanks. Wouldn't have known it was a test unless you emphasized that twice :rolleyes:

I also go insane when people ask me if I "passed my MCATs"... first of all, it's not plural (although, I guess there are verbal, physical science, and biological tests within the test??) and also, you can't really pass or not pass, you just get a score!! :rolleyes:

taylormade44 said:
it is if you screw up

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's funny....

I get so annoyed when people ask me things like, "So are you studying for your MCATs so you don't fail?" A: it's not MCATs.... B: It's not pass or fail... I didn't fail it the first time I took it, I'm not going to fail the second time... cuz there isn't really such a thing... (Well, maybe getting less than 20 would be failing...) :confused: Silly none pre-med people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tanner82 said:
Hey Carn,

You taking your MCAT's, I mean MCAT at Suny Albany?

Affirmative. The room is a nice one if that is where you are going.

Honestly, I think its the best test site in the capital district.

Moses MD said:
What about when people say Walmarts instead of Walmart.

Or St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in stead of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Too many possessives!!!! :eek:

it belongs to the children not the saint :cool:

rcwhite007 said:
I wish I had enough time to be so critical. :rolleyes:

:laugh:. I have had some time, since I've been at home recovering from surgery. I've spent my days reviewing biology (and general chemistry) and here on SDN.

my best friend puts a possessive on everything...

so we're always eating at Subway's or stopping at Seven Eleven's.

carn311 said:

Same for when people say "MSTP programs"

translation: medical scientist training program programs :eek:

I sort of think MCAT's is ok, I mean I hate when people say it too, but there are four tests and each one is a medical college admissions test for that subject so it really is tests. So I think MCAT's may be ok, just my two cents.

:laugh: :laugh:
WestTexasRambler said:
Tell me about it.

'Rambler

What about "SAT's???" Everyone always says, "I'm taking the SAT's on so-and-so." I don't really mind that though cuz it sounds normal. Now, "SAT" doesnt....probably cuz I'm so used to hearing "SAT's." :laugh:

Jacks Mannequin said:
Hah..just to annoy you OCD people:
I am taking my MCATs tests in 2 weeks. :D

I went to the automated ATM machine yesterday to peruse its teller functions. :cool:

i installed a NIC card into my computer so that my LAN network will work.

BrettBatchelor said:
What do you say in this situation?

E-mcat.com has old released MCAT(s) for you to buy.

If you leave off the s you have a singular noun. But there are more than 1.

I think MCAT(s) would be acceptable in this case. It is more than one MCAT, after all.

BrettBatchelor said:
What do you say in this situation?

E-mcat.com has old released MCAT(s) for you to buy.

If you leave off the s you have a singular noun. But there are more than 1.

You say "MCAT tests" :laugh: