It's not fair lol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeevans

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
kids with 3.5 are not smart. i don't get how some of them pull a 520 on the mcat and all of a sudden get placed above me.

i have a 4.0, worked hard all FOUR years to get it and just because I score a 508, I'm a subpar applicant. everyone knows the MCAT is a BS test lol, no one actually thinks?? that it has any relevance to medical school?

i feel like intelligence should be based on what you've produced across 4 years like my 4.0 at a top public college, rather than some bs test that tests esoteric and pointless cars and p/s. lol /s rant

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: 50 users
only three more standardized tests to go...

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's bait.

Reactions: 6 users
kids with 3.5 are not smart. i don't get how some of them pull a 520 on the mcat and all of a sudden get placed above me.

i have a 4.0, worked hard all FOUR years to get it and just because I score a 508, I'm a subpar applicant. everyone knows the MCAT is a BS test lol, no one actually thinks?? that it has any relevance to medical school?

i feel like intelligence should be based on what you've produced across 4 years like my 4.0 at a top public college, rather than some bs test that tests esoteric and pointless cars and p/s. lol /s rant
tiniest_violin.gif

Reactions: 10 users
There has to be a way to objectively compare applicants who come from a range of backgrounds. How is an admissions officer to know if your 4.0 is harder to attain than a 3.5 from say UC Berkeley?

There has to be a way to objectively compare applicants who come from a range of backgrounds. How is an admissions officer to know if your 4.0 is harder to attain than a 3.5 from say UC Berkeley?

well that's stupid on the applicant's part, they should take the easy route. i don't regret it. the mcat is a lousy test clearly if people with subpar GPAs do well on it

• Dislike
:troll:

Reactions: 8 users
Went from a 3.4 freshman year (intro bio classes) to 4.0 soph year (orgo, biochem) to a 3.65 junior year (physics) to a 3.9 senior year (mostly doing MCAT studying research)

Got a 4.0 all 4 years, eh? :thinking:

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users

I am not trolling. I am genuinely upset that just because I don't do well on a standardized test, that my four years of hard work is suddenly worth almost next to nothing when compared to someone who most likely got lucky on test day. I think it's a lousy and BS system and we should be evaluated on consistent performance.

Admission to a medical school is not a reward for getting a 4.0.

Reactions: 20 users

I fell asleep reading this but 4.0/520 > 4.0/508 or 3.5/520. MCAT probably beats GPA because it's standardized and can be compared among applicants across all colleges.

Reactions: 2 users
I am not trolling. I am genuinely upset that just because I don't do well on a standardized test, that my four years of hard work is suddenly worth almost next to nothing when compared to someone who most likely got lucky on test day. I think it's a lousy and BS system and we should be evaluated on consistent performance.

Without the MCAT and its standardization the process crumbles and can be gamed to no end.

...careful with blanket statements - most of us who did well on the MCAT worked for our scores.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People with 3.5's aren't smart?

Visit your uni's engineering school

Reactions: 12 users
Gonna break my own rule here.
*AHEM*
May I present to you: Melchizedek
uGPA: 3.06. Worked 30 hours a week to afford college. Studied, did work, crammed after late shifts or on breaks.
Current biomedical sciences masters program GPA: 3.8/3.9 not working.
MCAT 514
In an ideal world where every other possible factor between you and that 3.5 kid is the exact same, sure I might say that the 3.5 kid wasn't as intelligent. But the world's not ideal. Get over yourself.

Reactions: 11 users
At this rate, people might as well scrap GPA for medical school admissions. I could've tanked all four years and then scored a 525 to get me into medical school.

4.0? This really seems to contradict the thread you started on April 8th where you stated the following is your GPA trend:
cGPA:
Freshman - 3.41
Sophomore - 4.0
Junior - 3.65
Senior - 3.89

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
At this rate, people might as well scrap GPA for medical school admissions. I could've tanked all four years and then scored a 525 to get me into medical school.

GPA and MCAT both matter. I have no idea why you are using them in opposition. This is why those with high LizzyM scores (which in turn means high GPA and high MCAT scores) have the best success in their application cycles.

Reactions: 1 users
3.5 in what major

not smart?? come on, everybody has different goals

A 525 is INCREDIBLY difficult to achieve.

Pretty certain that OP wouldn't be complaining about the unfairness of the MCAT if he had pulled a 520+.

Reactions: 4 users
A 525 is INCREDIBLY difficult to achieve.

I agree. I studied all summer for a 508. I used Kaplan test prep and my parents consdiered putting me into the Immersion program. Which makes me even more skeptical of the exam when I see people with 3.5 attaining such ridiculously high scores. I retract my statement about them being stupid. It's hard to believe.

I agree. I studied all summer for a 508. I used Kaplan test prep and my parents consdiered putting me into the Immersion program. Which makes me even more skeptical of the exam when I see people with 3.5 attaining such ridiculously high scores. I retract my statement about them being stupid. It's hard to believe.

Smells like privilege. Grow up pal, leave some room for us Low-SES folk.

Reactions: 17 users
Fake news!

Also, I ONLY had a 3.7 :( but I magically pulled a 518.

Stay mad.

Reactions: 6 users
Also, I ONLY had a 3.7 :( but I magically pulled a 518.

Stay mad.

congrats lol im not mad. I will retake if I don't get in this cycle. I do want a diverse class with poor people and people and color, I never said I didn't?

Learn from this...

enhanced-buzz-28555-1376321080-11.jpg

In all seriousness, it does stink, but I will argue that the MCAT isn't crap. For instance, imagine a University that waters down a curriculum and produces many students with 4.0's (I know of a few). Do they all deserve a spot in medical school because they are "smart?" No, they should take the same exam as everyone else to level the playing field. I have a love-hate relationship with the MCAT, but it is a beast that must be conquered. You got this, kid.

I hate this. Saying all this isn't productive and gets you nowhere. Having this attitude gets you in trouble with pretty much EVERYONE in the medical community.

I'll say this. I know a guy who failed board exams 3 times and was at the bottom of the class. He took responsibility for sucking and worked as hard as he can to make up for it one way or another. He ended up at a top tier program after failing to match a year. Another guy who was at the top had the most arrogant attitude and despite top scores, has not gotten a residency as of yet for 2 years.

It's all about attitude. Honestly.

I’m out here with a 3.92/515 and no interviews clearly MCAT nor GPA is the end all be all... it’s about a well rounded applicant... no point moping around whining about people that put in time and deserved their scores.. join the line and wait out the cycle, and if it doesn’t go well retake, improve ur resume, and reapply, that’s all you can do, life can’t always be fair

MCAT is an IQ test.

you should get into med school with a 4.0/508. If you don't, something else is wrong with your app... is that not fair too?

Also, the reason schools regard MCAT so highly is because it is a MUCH better predictor of board scores than GPA is. MUCH. According to the AAMC, if you can score a 500 on the MCAT, you are ready for medical school. So medical schools arn't rejecting low MCATers because they think they can't handle med school, they're rejecting them because they will not score as high on the boards as those with good MCATs. For reference, I scored similar to you on the test.

Reactions: 5 users
you should get into med school with a 4.0/508. If you don't, something else is wrong with your app... is that not fair too?

Also, the reason schools regard MCAT so highly is because it is a MUCH better predictor of board scores than GPA is. MUCH. According to the AAMC, if you can score a 500 on the MCAT, you are ready for medical school. So medical schools arn't rejecting low MCATers because they think they can't handle med school, they're rejecting them because they will not score as high on the boards as those with good MCATs. For reference, I scored similar to you on the test.

I think the attitude part is much more of a grave problem. No one wants to work with someone who is concerned about someone else performing better than they are. This would lead to behaviors like throwing others under a bus or trying to undercut other students on rounds. Or even talking ill of whatever residency they are a part of (since its not as good as another residency).

I'm certain a school would take a lower credential person over a person with this attitude at any time because a person with an attitude like this is high risk.

this thread is funny. clearly OP is inciting flames but,

gpas aren't made equal which is why i'd argue the opposite: gpas being so important, to the point where a 3.4-3.5 in a grade deflating school will severely hinder your chances at MD, is unfortunate. at least the MCAT is a decent equalizer.

Number of times I’ve been asked about my MCAT score in medical school: Hundreds.

Number of times I’ve been asked about my GPA in medical school: Never.

I think it’s clear which one is more relevant. And just wait to see how much more important standardized exams become once you are in medical school...

Last edited:
Number of times I’ve been asked about my MCAT score in medical school: Hundreds.

Number of times I’ve been asked about my GPA in medical school: Never.

I think it’s clear which one is more relevant. And just wait to see how much more standardized exams become once you are in medical school...

Ya you are right. But I still hold that this attitude of "this guy did better than me" is much more of an issue than anything else.

tumblr_inline_n7m48eGHBq1sv49sn.gif

Ya you are right. But I still hold that this attitude of "this guy did better than me" is much more of an issue than anything else.
unfortunately that is the world we live in. This attitude does not pertain just to the medical field. There is competition in any field you go into. I'm currently shopping for a car and every dealer I have gone too there was an employee of the month for whoever sold the most cars. Every field has competition where people try to be better than the field.

A standardized test (USMLE) determines your future post-med school. Therefore, the ability to take a standardized test (MCAT) well determines your ability to get into med school. It's quite logical.

If you got a 4.0 for 4 years, you're clearly bright. Getting a 508 shows you don't have debilitating test anxiety. Instead of crying on here, go study hard, retake it, and have fun at Harvard Med School in a year's time.

I was going to type a long, drawn-out response then decided I'm just going to tell OP to quit b****ing.

Quit b****ing, OP.

I was going to type a long, drawn-out response then decided I'm just going to tell OP to quit b****ing.

Quit b****ing, OP.

I like you, you can stay.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

You're confusing hard work with intelligence. Any idiot can get a 4.0 if they work really hard, but the MCAT is a decent assessment of overall cognitive ability.

So you assume that people with 3.5 gpa do not work as hard as you ?
Lol your privilege is showing. Your attitude is disgusting. Clearly - person with a lower gpa is smarter than you since they did better on the mcat. The mcat is not any easy exam. Anyone who takes and scores well put in the work. It is not about "luck". You need to change your pathetic attitude and deal with it Because standardized testing won't go away when you attend med school.

I think the advice ends up being study harder and retake the MCAT.
I'd postulate that if one did well in a relevant undergraduate major: biology, chemistry, biochemistry etc, that a 508 is a score that is achievable/possible without studying. Certainly, this doesn't apply to everyone, however, as other posters have pointed out, life is not fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.