It's still early...do you tell programs that they're your 1st choice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really agonizing over this one, but I really love one particular program (program X) and it'd be great to go there, but that interview is scheduled for the end of december. The rest of my interviews are in January and I am eager to see what those programs are like. Will it hurt me if I tell the PD at program X, that "as of now you are my first choice, but I still have several interviews lined up for January"? Will they rank me lower?

Come January after all my interviews, if I still want to go program X, I would do a second look and reiterate my interest, but I'm afraid they'll be like, "oh NOW you want us" and will rank me lower. What do you guys think??

Members don't see this ad.

It won't hurt and it won't help. You'll probably change your mind anyways. This same cycle of flirtatious emails repeats itself year after year.

E'01 said:
I'm really agonizing over this one, but I really love one particular program (program X) and it'd be great to go there, but that interview is scheduled for the end of december. The rest of my interviews are in January and I am eager to see what those programs are like. Will it hurt me if I tell the PD at program X, that "as of now you are my first choice, but I still have several interviews lined up for January"? Will they rank me lower?

Come January after all my interviews, if I still want to go program X, I would do a second look and reiterate my interest, but I'm afraid they'll be like, "oh NOW you want us" and will rank me lower. What do you guys think??

Many applicants lie. the program won't believe yo anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs hear that all the time. To make it more believable, applicants have gone on second look visits, done rotations at the site, had residents who know them personally write letters on their behalf, etc. You can make it real but you have to put in a lot of effort to convince a program that you are not being disingenuous.

After I finish my east coast swing in December, assuming no Dark Horse candidate for #1 emerges, I plan on driving to my #1 choice and chatting with the people that Ive met, to tell them Ive been on all my interviews, and they are #1. It cant hurt.

UTSouthwestern said:
Programs hear that all the time. To make it more believable, applicants have gone on second look visits, done rotations at the site, had residents who know them personally write letters on their behalf, etc. You can make it real but you have to put in a lot of effort to convince a program that you are not being disingenuous.

Disingenuous????

I can guarantee everyone who reads this cannot find an orthopedic surgeon on earth who can spell that, let alone use it in a sentence. :laugh:

Idiopathic said:
After I finish my east coast swing in December, assuming no Dark Horse candidate for #1 emerges, I plan on driving to my #1 choice and chatting with the people that Ive met, to tell them Ive been on all my interviews, and they are #1. It cant hurt.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do. Thanks all!

I did an away rotation at my top pick and was invited back for a second month of "research". I changed my 4th year schedule after meeting with my Dean to explain why... Sleeping in a call room for 2 months... If that doesn't tell them I'm serious, I don't know how to convince them.

The truth has a way of coming across in what you do more than what you say. People have been doing this for YEARS and know what feels right.

my thoughts

Idiopathic said:

I think I'm gonna do the same. I think I already know my #1. It's certainly not the most prestigious one that I'll be interviewing at. Just curious, all you people know what your #1 is, right???

I used to know which program was number one. However, now, I have no idea. I know that it isn't U Oklahoma as I didn't apply there>>>:)

adleyinga said:
Many applicants lie. the program won't believe yo anyway

Similarly, many programs also lie. There always seems to be someone stupid enough each year to only rank one place because they were "told" by the program how much they were loved and that they were guaranteed to match there then not match.

Remember, the game is played on both sides. Be honest but distrustful throughout it ;)

Do anesthesiology hopefuls normally do audition rotations? I know that in some specialties, this is expected or encouraged. Do you think that doing one will help or hurt your chances of matching in anesthesiology? What if you don't have a pre-picked "top choice" but you still want to do an away rotation?

QofQuimica said:
Do anesthesiology hopefuls normally do audition rotations? I know that in some specialties, this is expected or encouraged. Do you think that doing one will help or hurt your chances of matching in anesthesiology? What if you don't have a pre-picked "top choice" but you still want to do an away rotation?

I think it helps. I did one, because with past experience at at this particular program, students from my school would pretty much get interviews by virtue of doing an audition rotation there. I'm sure that's how I got mine...