When do you consider reaching escape velocity as far as investments go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People who have reached financially independent and still work anesthesia “if it’s easyl. That’s my point. Especially in Florida. I see it every day.

These docs will just do preop. Maybe block a patient. Don’t bother coming in for induction. Take naps during the day.

So these docs are riding it on easy street. And before you guys say I look for easy cash. I do my own cases on call. These financially independent docs will not take solo calls. That’s all you need to know. They won’t rot solo even daytime either.
Right but once I hit 10M I don’t care if I’m going in and playing video games all day. I’d rather be at home or doing other things. More money won’t change my life in any meaningful way. Even if it’s “easy”
 
but you still are getting up at 5am to go sit in the hospital even if you dont go to the OR thats my point. Id rather spend my mornings drinking coffee with my wife and going for a nice walk at sunrise or something esp if your breaking 15m-20m liquid NW. Whats the point of more money if you cant really spend what you have already or only spend the growth. 1m capital gains subtract 20-25% tax is a like 2500-3000 bucks a day forever and not even a good or avg year where you will net 1.5-2m then ur making 5k a day forever. Every year this keeps going up.

If you truly love your work thats a completely different situation. I'd rather go play tennis most mornings during the week then step inside a hospital.


FWIW, my sister married a trust fund guy from a wealthy family who never had to work. He did Peace Corps in Niger and then went to an Ivy League law school like his father. He worked in the city attorneys office in NYC, then at the DOJ in Washington. After the birth of their son he decided to stop working and he and my sister became increasingly weird and eccentric. In many ways they have lost touch with greater society. There are many days when the only thing he does is go the gym or the club. They door dash almost every meal and rarely leave their house.
 
but you still are getting up at 5am to go sit in the hospital even if you dont go to the OR thats my point. Id rather spend my mornings drinking coffee with my wife and going for a nice walk at sunrise or something esp if your breaking 15m-20m liquid NW. Whats the point of more money if you cant really spend what you have already or only spend the growth. 1m capital gains subtract 20-25% tax is a like 2500-3000 bucks a day forever and not even a good or avg year where you will net 1.5-2m then ur making 5k a day forever. Every year this keeps going up.

If you truly love your work thats a completely different situation. I'd rather go play tennis most mornings during the week then step inside a hospital.
Probably a not insignificant amount of these guys continue working just to get away from their wives and their bickering. Hahaha. You've seen those marriages. They're actually quite common. The wife is always making slights and jabs at their husband, and vice versa.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FWIW, my sister married a trust fund guy from a wealthy family who never had to work. He did Peace Corps in Niger and then went to an Ivy League law school like his father. He worked in the city attorneys office in NYC, then at the DOJ in Washington. After the birth of their son he decided to stop working and he and my sister became increasingly weird and eccentric. In many ways they have lost touch with greater society. There are many days when the only thing he does is go the gym or the club. They door dash almost every meal and rarely leave their house.
I've always been curious about couples like this. Do you know what they do at home and how they spend their time? It seems pretty dark.
 
I've always been curious about couples like this. Do you know what they do at home and how they spend their time? It seems pretty dark.


My sister spends a lot of time on Reddit. Her husband is on FB a lot. Although they no longer live there, he still hosts tables at galas in NYC 2-3x/year and a NYE table at his club also in NYC. Those are the events that punctuate their lives.

When their son was younger he played chess competitively like his cousins and they traveled internationally for chess tournaments.
 
FWIW, my sister married a trust fund guy from a wealthy family who never had to work. He did Peace Corps in Niger and then went to an Ivy League law school like his father. He worked in the city attorneys office in NYC, then at the DOJ in Washington. After the birth of their son he decided to stop working and he and my sister became increasingly weird and eccentric. In many ways they have lost touch with greater society. There are many days when the only thing he does is go the gym or the club. They door dash almost every meal and rarely leave their house.

my BIL cousin's husband was an anesthesiolgist who went all in on bitcoin before the 2017 high and retired late 40s. Now sits at home reading research articles not sure but def poor marriage or they may be separated but i think those issues were already present.

I guess you dont really know how you would fair. I have tennis that i can literally get lost in during the week not just with matches but drills and clinics and the wife is also into it but has her own league and tennis circle. Then we have a big social circle outside of that always a dinner, show, musical, comedy going on then family nearby. Id get a personal trainer and woud like to get into Ji Jitsu along with take classes maybe learn a new language. I crave playing video games again but just no time for that.
 
my BIL cousin's husband was an anesthesiolgist who went all in on bitcoin before the 2017 high and retired late 40s. Now sits at home reading research articles not sure but def poor marriage or they may be separated but i think those issues were already present.

I guess you dont really know how you would fair. I have tennis that i can literally get lost in during the week not just with matches but drills and clinics and the wife is also into it but has her own league and tennis circle. Then we have a big social circle outside of that always a dinner, show, musical, comedy going on then family nearby. Id get a personal trainer and woud like to get into Ji Jitsu along with take classes maybe learn a new language. I crave playing video games again but just no time for that.
I hear pickleball is cool…
 
FWIW, my sister married a trust fund guy from a wealthy family who never had to work. He did Peace Corps in Niger and then went to an Ivy League law school like his father. He worked in the city attorneys office in NYC, then at the DOJ in Washington. After the birth of their son he decided to stop working and he and my sister became increasingly weird and eccentric. In many ways they have lost touch with greater society. There are many days when the only thing he does is go the gym or the club. They door dash almost every meal and rarely leave their house.
Sounds amazing!
 
Yes. I’m not made or anything about that time frame. Annoyed yes for some people getting away with it. Walking away from debt.

But that’s just life and it comes full circle.

But do want to give the younger docs some perspective since many under 45 really have not felt any significant prolonged crash taking 5 plus years to recover

We saw how Covid crashed the market by 35% in two months. That was scary. But it rebounded so quickly that it became a blur to many people. Just imagine if it’s still covering after 5-6 plus years.


Debt relief is a feature of capitalism. Most apex capitalists take advantage of it in order to move on and try again. The proletariat have been brainwashed into thinking that we need to honor our debts. The ruling class understand that is not true.


You know who has benefited from more debt relief than everybody on SDN combined? $500k student loan forgiveness is small potatoes.









This organization actually promotes debt relief for the masses.

 
Last edited:
I've always been curious about couples like this. Do you know what they do at home and how they spend their time? It seems pretty dark.
Geez

I can think of 87 things I'd rather be doing at home or on my property, by myself or with my wife, compared to working.

I wouldn't assume it's dark at all.

I don't fully understand why so many here set their escape velocity $number so high.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Geez

I can think of 87 things I'd rather be doing at home or on my property, by myself or with my wife, compared to working.

I wouldn't assume it's dark at all.

I don't fully understand why so many here set their escape velocity $number so high.

Same. Though a lot of people dont have a ton of hobbies they are still passionate about due to medicine, kids, and other responsibilities. All the docs in my tennis groups and leagues would love to be PT or per diem NOW and literally be at the club most days out of the week playing tennis or hanging out. Then I have friends who have no hobbies and cant imagine not working bc they would go crazy. Again, you need something to retire too. Also, none of them are in the position of FIRE or really think about that stuff.

Depends on wiring. I randomly had a monday off this week due to meeting with an acct and a 3 day wknd and loved every second of it.