Its that time again... (tips on financial aid lenders?!)

Started by ertepnf
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ertepnf

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure a lot of you are starting to figure out financial aid for the upcoming year (if you haven't finished already, that is. I tend to procrastinate a bit). I've noticed a pretty clear difference between this year's lender deals and last year's..this year, we students can't seem to get a break on loans.

Therefore, has anybody found a good lender they want to recommend? I'd like to find a lender that waives/pays for all those random fees, as well as reduces the interest one must repay as an incentive to pay on time (last year, Chase offered lots of interest reductions. This year...not so much, and if I stay with them again I'd have to pay their fee). If so, I'm sure plenty of people will appreciate your input.
 
I'm sure a lot of you are starting to figure out financial aid for the upcoming year (if you haven't finished already, that is. I tend to procrastinate a bit). I've noticed a pretty clear difference between this year's lender deals and last year's..this year, we students can't seem to get a break on loans.

Therefore, has anybody found a good lender they want to recommend? I'd like to find a lender that waives/pays for all those random fees, as well as reduces the interest one must repay as an incentive to pay on time (last year, Chase offered lots of interest reductions. This year...not so much, and if I stay with them again I'd have to pay their fee). If so, I'm sure plenty of people will appreciate your input.

check out the financial aid forum, where I'm sure this most will soon be moved...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=537905
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=506333
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just signed away for 55k of debt this morning, which made me briefly contemplate adding a new figure to my research project about the effect of Jack Daniels on my ability to worry about loans.

I'm looking for some co-authors.
 
I just signed away for 55k of debt this morning, which made me briefly contemplate adding a new figure to my research project about the effect of Jack Daniels on my ability to worry about loans.

I'm looking for some co-authors.

Sign me up. I did the same.. it hurt a bit.
 
I have looked at Discover it is the only one who offers no fees!!!!!! if you read all the small print everything else can change at anytime... I went with Discover. Sallie Mae... Great Lakes.... Wells Fargo .... Access ... all have charge fees....DON'T go with Sallie May or Wells Fargo they will never leave you alone and and charge you for everything!!!!!!!!! avoid them!!!!!!!! they nickel and dime you to death!!!!!! you can read other posts a lot have also gone with Discover...
 
I have looked at Discover it is the only one who offers no fees!!!!!! if you read all the small print everything else can change at anytime... I went with Discover. Sallie Mae... Great Lakes.... Wells Fargo .... Access ... all have charge fees....DON'T go with Sallie May or Wells Fargo they will never leave you alone and and charge you for everything!!!!!!!!! avoid them!!!!!!!! they nickel and dime you to death!!!!!! you can read other posts a lot have also gone with Discover...

Discover isn't the only one with no fees. Navy Federal also has no fees (and still had incentives last time I checked). But for Navy Federal, you have to be military or have family in the military, etc.
 
Discover isn't the only one with no fees. Navy Federal also has no fees (and still had incentives last time I checked). But for Navy Federal, you have to be military or have family in the military,
etc.

Yes I am sure your right, but for those who don't have family in the military. The only one I find is Discover. If anyone finds another I would love to know. so as of now I choose Discover
 
Do you think that it would be wiser to go with the Grad Plus program or private loan through Discover? It looks like they have nice incentives (like a 2% graduation reward and no origination fee) for their private loan, but interest is variable
 
Do you think that it would be wiser to go with the Grad Plus program or private loan through Discover? It looks like they have nice incentives (like a 2% graduation reward and no origination fee) for their private loan, but interest is variable

First how is your credit? call discover and ask what the rate is for private and do they have a fixed rate. private loans are based no your credit score and variable worries me. I have read other post... all say grad plus is better as it is fixed and capped at 8.50% private loans go up to over 13% and poss. higher
also what is their payment plan? I haven't taken out my out a grad plus loan yet. but I am looking at discover at 8.25% and another .25 for auto pay. my parents don't have much money but they are going to try to pay the interest on my unsub. and my grad plus until I start res about $350 per month.