It's the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got my MCAT score, and it was very close to what I predicted (but not expected): V 6, P 11, B 9, N. Do you think that I could get accepted anywhere with that 6 in verbal? I posted my stats before, but to refresh your memory, I am a senior, chemistry major. I had two years of undergrad research and one year of doing health realted work. My extracurricular activities includes being a president of some club at my university. Oh, my GPA is decent, I guess, 4.0.

My disadvantages are:
1. I speak English as a second language and I have not been in the US for a long time.
2. I took the August MCAT, so my applications were not completed early.
3. I made a stupid mistake by assuming that the MCAT service, after charging a huge amount of money they should automatically send my score to the AMCOMAS ... apparently, they don't, so I just faxed a request to them last Friday to release my score to AMCOMAS. It probably takes a while before my score reaches the medical schools. I'm sitting on fire right now. Any suggestions for me?

I'm applying to UMDNJ-SOM, PCOM, Lake Erie, WHS-PSOM, Touro and NY-SOM. Touro has not sent me the secondary yet 'cause they need my MCAT score. To all of you that have been accepted somewhere... congratulations!!! Any tips for me so I could get in as well?

Also, can anyone give me a tip on how to get a recommendation from a D.O.? I don't know any D.O., and I have been squeezing my brain out but still can't come up with a good way to approach a D.O. for a rec. Please help.

(A personal note to Miglo. Hey dude thanks for responding to my previous message. I noticed your last name on line before and kind of expected that you would be the first who responded to my post. You did. Hey congratulation on your acceptance. You make me proud. If I get accepted to WHS, it will be my first choice. I hope to see you there.)

Nguyen

Members don't see this ad.

Hey tnkd I guess a 4.0 is "decent", but you really need a 5.7GPA to be competitive
smile.gif

Seriously though, a 6 is kinda pushing it but I know people on here (SD comes to mind) got a TON of interviews with a 6 so its all good. Besides we're Asian dude, we just naturally suck in verbal and they know that
wink.gif
. See you got a 6 and you haven't been here very long, I've been here since I was 4, took all the honors english and crap and still ending up with an 8.

As for a DO letter, try going through a medical phone book or something and ask the nice secretary if you can shadow the doc. Good luck.

Thanks Miglo. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

tnkd

anyone else? give me your opinion please.

Members don't see this ad :)
another question... how would the schools contact you for an interview, by phone or mail/email?

I got all three. COMP phoned me. The other DO schools mailed me. UCD emailed me.

Hey!! YES!! It is so very possible to get in somewhere with a 6. In fact your overall is a point higher and your GPA is a bit higher, too, so that's great. However, not to give you false hope, you must have good letters of rec and also be pretty wellrounded. I am pretty sure that my active college life, experience, and letters made up for the 6. In fact, only one school actually commented about the 6. I thought that was pretty nice.
smile.gif

Good luck to you! BTW, I was extrememly early in the app process, and this definately helps, so get you apps in!!

Sara

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

Sara, If you don't mind, I was wondering what section you got the 6 in was it verbal? Also, what was your total MCAT? Thanks Dave

dave- Nope. Emabrassingly enough, it was in Bio. My only explanation is that I was not a science major, and the only Bio class I've taken is Bio 1. (I still need to take Bio2). Overall it was a 25. (My verbal was actually my highest.) However, my GPA was around a 3.8, so I think that this helped. Hope this can give you some hope.
smile.gif

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

tnkd,
I believe your numbers are competitive and you should not be worry. The delay in score release may put you in disadvantage but hope that everything works for you.

I am Asian too and my verbal is not my strongest area. However, many DO school do put that into consideration. Don'w worry too much.

Most DOs are willing to write you a letter if you have spent some time with them. Good luck

------------------
NSU 2002
(-@o@-)

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited 10-28-1999).]

tnkd,
Don't be dicouraged. I just got my acceptance at UHS and I have a lower GPA, mine is only a 3.35 overall with a science GPA of 3.45, and my MCAT scores were lower than yours. I only got a 5 in the verbal reasoning, and English is my first and only language. I did re-take the MCAT and improved my scores but, I was accepted before the scores were released.

I did not know any DO's when I was applying either. I just called the ones listed in the phone book, and I shadowed two of them. All of the DO's that I called were very nice and helpful. Even the DO's that I did not shadow called me back and gave me advice about who to ask about shadowing. They all seemed to be used to students asking them for letters and were not suprised. Be sure to be well prepared with all of the information they will need to write a letter and make it as easy for them as possible. Provide them with your resume and any other information they might need to write a good letter about you. Also, be sure to be well educated about what it means to be a DO. The doctors that I met with also interviewed me before writing the letter. Good Luck.

Thanks to all of you that replied to my post. Your replies are all very encouraging.

Oh, I called a D.O. this week. He agreed to let me shadow him and is willing to write a rec. for me.
smile.gif