IU interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mayb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone
Does anybody have an idea about interview at Indiana University (IU)? I will have interview next month. I appreciate any information about what to expect, any information and experience about the school.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh cool, I have an interview there next month too! I was starting to wonder where all the IU people were!!! I myself am a tad bit curious about the interview as well. What do you think about us having to interview w/ 2 people at the same time ?? That has to be a little uncomfortable! Well, I hope all goes well w/ you, good luck on your interview.

have an interview at IU the first week of JAN as well. Was surprised to hear that they wanted to interview me as my GPA is around 2.8 (did way too much paryting in undergrad) and OAT average is 350 and Total Science 350. However, reading comp was 400 so maybe that's why; perhaps due to IU's strength in the forefront of Optometric Research.

I' ve tried to do as much research as I can with regards to the research that occurs at IU; especially with the IU Journal of Optometry... hope that helps

Anyone else have any tips for the IU interview....... would be greatly appreciated

GOOD luck to ALL

Members don't see this ad :)
kaostonite said:
have an interview at IU the first week of JAN as well. Was surprised to hear that they wanted to interview me as my GPA is around 2.8 (did way too much paryting in undergrad) and OAT average is 350 and Total Science 350. However, reading comp was 400 so maybe that's why; perhaps due to IU's strength in the forefront of Optometric Research.

I' ve tried to do as much research as I can with regards to the research that occurs at IU; especially with the IU Journal of Optometry... hope that helps

Anyone else have any tips for the IU interview....... would be greatly appreciated

GOOD luck to ALL

I will have my interview the January 24/2004. Thank for the information about the IU journal. I will look to that. Also if any body has an idea how is the interview, how many people compose the committing. What type of question, how is IU. Thanks any tip will be appreciated.
Thanks
Good luck
;)

Well it good to see the IU people out here. I am currently a student and can tell you that the interview process it very pleasant. You will be surprised on how they try to make you feel at home. For example I was setting in the student lounge talking with a few of the interviewees and their families when the admissions office came out and told them that they had just gotten OAT scores and if they would like to see their scores then they would find their score. Let me tell you that not every school would do that.

Ok here is what you really want to know. If I had to choose a school again I would go to IU. They start you early in diagnostics (learning how to do exams). Big benefit because from my understanding we are considered the best clinical school there is and that is what really matters (before I get a bunch of replies I am just stating what I was told from people who are outside of the school and have interns from multiple schools. So it is NOT my personal opinion). We do average on part 1 of boards and usually have the highest or close to the highest pass rates on the rest of the boards. Staff and faculty are great and you really feel like they care about you and your education. Let’s see what else I can think of…….IU is rated one of the most beautiful college campuses in the nation. Etc.etc.etc

Hope this helps a little. Don’t stress over the interview just tell them why you want to be an optometrist and why you think that you will be a good optometrist. One other note, sometimes they have a good idea if they are going to accept you before you get their. If after the interview they still like you then if you are a really good candidate then they may accept you on the spot.

Hope this helps.

Yes IU is pretty nice as my classmate has mentioned. PM me if you want to know more. Sorry I missed you guys at interviews, but I just joined the forum recently.

Hi,

I asked another graduate of IU a couple similar questions, but I just wanted to get your guys' opinion...

1. Does the school prepare you well clinically and academically?
2. Do you see a wide variety of patients--diversity of conditions and diseases?
3. How are the professors there and do they care about the students?
4. Are the students there competitive?
5. How do you find Bloomington and the diversity?

Thanks a bunch! I am planning to interview there early March.

Ning

1) yes, especially clinically
We have a stringent clinical "proficiency" system that leads up to a "competency" early in your 4th semester after which you are deemed ready for seeing patients. We have a near perfect NBEO pass rate for parts II and III.

2) We have 4 clinics now just in Indiana (and 1 in Mexico). The school clinic patients are a lot of professors and undergrads. Lots of myopia and presbyopia. Our "west side" (about 3 miles from the school) clinic is more medicaid based, and you see a lot more diseases and abnormal things there. It also houses the disease clinic. Then we have the Indy clinic which is a bit of everything, and the new Carmel clinic which is optometry/ophthalmology. Our 4th year rotations are VERY diverse, covering disease, VT/peds, PC, laser, etc.

3) Yes, the professors care about students. They actually just "went to bat" for the students (we were getting screwed) and won the battle for us. Even one of the less popular professors in the past was "prof of the year" this year.

4) The students are not extremely competitive with each other, and that's what I love about IU. Nearly everyone is unselfish and will help you out if needed. I can come out of the exam room and ask any of my classmates a question and they'll tell everything they can think of. I hang out with at least 60% of my classmates at some time or another, probably more than 60%. Senior students will be glad to help you out also. We have a big sib/little sib program too.

5) Bloomington is pretty diverse, IMO. A lot of this is due to the University (~38,000 students total) There are groups on campus for just about everything, and optometry students are free to join whichever. Im actually in the EMT club ;) The city is ridiculously beautiful in spring/summer/fall (im not a winter person).

Hope this helps, let me know otherwise :)