IU, PCO, SCO & OSU...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Renabeana77

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm applying to the above schools and was just wondering if any current/former students could possibly describe their experiences at these schools. I figured the best way to get information besides the school websites was to ask the students. So please be candid. Were there things you did/didn't like? How are the faculty? What's the housing situation like and general things of that nature. Thanks for your help!
 
I'm a first year student at SCO. We had orientation Wednesday-Friday, so I haven't had any real classes yet. So far I love the school. The eye center here is hard to beat if not the best experience you can get in the nation. It is a brand new two-story facility in the heart of Memphis, and it stays very busy. Just about anything that can go wrong with the eye is going to walk through those doors at some point. The faculty and staff here are infinity times nicer than the people I had in undergrad.

Memphis may look a bit ghetto if you come visit, and yes it has its bad parts, but there are really nice areas too. I'm liking Memphis more and more. I live on Mud Island next to the Mississippi River, and it is absolutely beautiful. I ride my bike along Mississippi Riverbelt Park about every other day. The park runs the whole length of the "island", but the island is really a long peninsula.
 
Renabeana77 said:
I'm applying to the above schools and was just wondering if any current/former students could possibly describe their experiences at these schools. I figured the best way to get information besides the school websites was to ask the students. So please be candid. Were there things you did/didn't like? How are the faculty? What's the housing situation like and general things of that nature. Thanks for your help!
I am a first year PCO student. The faculty are nice. dont worry about housing either cos u will definitely get one. The only thing I dont like about the City is that it looks scary to me. I dont think anyone should go out alone at night. There are a few things I like about PCO. first of all u will have more clinical skills 2. u only need to study 2 and 1/2 years only then externships come. However, it isnt good for some people cos they will rush u. they usually cram it all. that is about it. if u have more questions, let me know
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just had my first day of classes here at PCO. Classes began at 9am and ended at 4:45 today; they were still getting us oriented. Tomorrow is when we go into the real thing: anatomy, genetics in optometry & Medicine (just to name a few), and then we go to the eye clinic. Yes, it's only the second day; they're going to start us in the clinic already. The fall class schedule seems very intense. We have exams scheduled every Mondays and a couple of Fridays throughout the first semester. The volume of information will be massive; but that's expected of any professional school. As far as housing goes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I live across the street from school. The walk from my apartment to school is 7 minutes total; 2 of these minutes is spent waiting for the elevator (I live on the top floor). The neighborhood the school is in is relatively safe. The area where the clinic is at is not, but that's where there will be many eye pathologies. They tell us that by the time we graduate, we will have seen 3,000 patients. They also have implemented a clinical tracking system where they will track each and every one of our patient encounters. So far, I have the feeling that PCO will prepare me thouroughly for the optometric profession. I am confidant that they will prepare me to be a skilled clinician as well as a business owner. By looking at the syllabus and the curriculum, I can tell you that the next 4 years won't be cake walk. The schedule that I received today shows me that I will start classes at 8am and finish at 9pm everyday. This is quite a load; however, just having gone through this weeks orientation and first day of classes, I can say that I am comfortable with the curriculum as well as the school. I can honestly say that I have made a wise decision. You should definitely give PCO some thoughts. If you get a chance, visit the campus and talk to the admissions officers. Good Luck!
 
JapAnime said:
I just had my first day of classes here at PCO. Classes began at 9am and ended at 4:45 today; they were still getting us oriented. Tomorrow is when we go into the real thing: anatomy, genetics in optometry & Medicine (just to name a few), and then we go to the eye clinic. Yes, it's only the second day; they're going to start us in the clinic already. The fall class schedule seems very intense. We have exams scheduled every Mondays and a couple of Fridays throughout the first semester. The volume of information will be massive; but that's expected of any professional school. As far as housing goes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I live across the street from school. The walk from my apartment to school is 7 minutes total; 2 of these minutes is spent waiting for the elevator (I live on the top floor). The neighborhood the school is in is relatively safe. The area where the clinic is at is not, but that's where there will be many eye pathologies. They tell us that by the time we graduate, we will have seen 3,000 patients. They also have implemented a clinical tracking system where they will track each and every one of our patient encounters. So far, I have the feeling that PCO will prepare me thouroughly for the optometric profession. I am confidant that they will prepare me to be a skilled clinician as well as a business owner. By looking at the syllabus and the curriculum, I can tell you that the next 4 years won't be cake walk. The schedule that I received today shows me that I will start classes at 8am and finish at 9pm everyday. This is quite a load; however, just having gone through this weeks orientation and first day of classes, I can say that I am comfortable with the curriculum as well as the school. I can honestly say that I have made a wise decision. You should definitely give PCO some thoughts. If you get a chance, visit the campus and talk to the admissions officers. Good Luck!

The times listed on your schedule for patient care are only the times where it's possible for you to be scheduled. You only have to go about once every other week during your first semester, so your 8 am-9 pm days won't happen very often. ( I think I had one the whole first year)... and that's only if you don't go to all of your classes (they're not mandatory). Oh, and 2nd year it gets better 🙂 good luck
 
ODtobe said:
The times listed on your schedule for patient care are only the times where it's possible for you to be scheduled. You only have to go about once every other week during your first semester, so your 8 am-9 pm days won't happen very often. ( I think I had one the whole first year)... and that's only if you don't go to all of your classes (they're not mandatory). Oh, and 2nd year it gets better 🙂 good luck


Yes, your classes are not mandatory, but if you are dishing out big $$$; it'd be a good thing to go to all your classes and do as much as you can. 🙂
 
Thanks for the info on PCO and SCO. I actually have a friend who is a first year at PCO so I'm looking forward to hearing from her throughout the year. Anyone from the other schools care to comment?
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SCO has more states represented than any other school. It makes things interesting.