IU vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sahar1118

S1118
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just got accepted to IU however I needed some advice.......I love IU's program (Problem based learning) but I also got into NYU. I know, I know.....these are two completely different schools. NYU seems they have better clinics and more chair time. Plus it is NEW YORK for crying out loud. I know a lot of graduates from NYU. They all say it is okay. Somebody help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

NYU is good but every school has its own BS. Plus, what about the $ factor?

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think that you should take anyone's advise if you are not sure which to pick. i think that this is a decision that YOU need to make.

personally, i would pick IUSD over NYU 20 times before i even think about NYU but that is just me.

during your interviews, you should have found out enough about each school. i am sure you can make the best choice for yourself. good luck and i hope you pick IUSD.

I don't understand why so many people thrash NYU.

jk5177 said:
I don't understand why so many people thrash NYU.

Because its fun.

NYUCD sucks!!!

Just Kidding :laugh:

Don't you mean NYUCD and Nursing?? Jk....

predentchick said:
Don't you mean NYUCD and Nursing?? Jk....

Speaking of that mess, NYSDA is so againist it they are having an emergence meeting next week. Here is a quote from the letter:

"a full discussion of NYSDA’s position as well as the development of a strategy for us to educate the administration at NYU regarding the inappropriateness of merging the dental and nursing schools."

http://www.nysdental.org/news/details.cfm?ID=59

That my friend is a pretty freaking serious comment. This merger is in a whole new ball game.

sahar1118 said:
Hello,

I just got accepted to IU however I needed some advice.......I love IU's program (Problem based learning) but I also got into NYU. I know, I know.....these are two completely different schools. NYU seems they have better clinics and more chair time. Plus it is NEW YORK for crying out loud. I know a lot of graduates from NYU. They all say it is okay. Somebody help!!!!

IMO, PBL is a waste of time. You're assigned to a group of students with a faculty. They'll give you the patient's informations, med hx, age.... with a bunch of questions. You then talk among yourselves, trying to come up w. something smart to say so that you can earn browny points with the faculty! Those questions are divided among the group. You then have to go to the library or google for information and then copy and paste :eek: I caught one of my classmate plagiarizing! Each paragraph was in different font sizes! It was hilarious!
You'll have so much stuff to do during the first 2yrs, the last thing that you really want to do is spending a lot of time on PBL, imo.

NY seems to be a fun place, short travel distance to other states but tuition's expensive! I would pick IU because I simply hate having Nursing on my >$200k degree!

I suggest make a short list of the deciding factors such as location, tuition...and go from there.

Brocnizer2007 said:
Speaking of that mess, NYSDA is so againist it they are having an emergence meeting next week. Here is a quote from the letter:

"a full discussion of NYSDA’s position as well as the development of a strategy for us to educate the administration at NYU regarding the inappropriateness of merging the dental and nursing schools."

That my friend is a pretty freaking serious comment. This merger is in a whole new ball game.

Whoever came up with that **** needs to pull their heads out of their @ss! outrageous!

Get your class presidents to sign petitions, protest, contact supporting alumni...last but not least, getting the lawyers involved! There're must be some d students whose parents are lawyers. It would scare the **** out of them :D

Old farts at NYU have lost their minds

lnn2 said:
NY seems to be a fun place, short travel distance to other states but tuition's expensive! I would pick IU because I simply hate having Nursing on my >$200k degree!

Perhaps, you should attend Case then. We had got our new name and degree diploma:

Dental faculty, alumni and students at Case Western Reserve University who want their school's name to reflect its focus on the overall health of patients have overwhelmingly supported changing that name from the Case School of Dentistry to the Case School of Dental Medicine
change the school's degree from Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) to Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) .......

a recent survey of people from all economic and professional levels conducted by members of the Case dental faculty indicates the general public perceives the D.M.D. to signify better and longer training than the D.D.S.

http://www.case.edu/pubs/cnews/2003/12-11/dentname.htm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh: :laugh: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
lnn2 said:
IMO, PBL is a waste of time. You're assigned to a group of students with a faculty. They'll give you the patient's informations, med hx, age.... with a bunch of questions. You then talk among yourselves, trying to come up w. something smart to say so that you can earn browny points with the faculty! Those questions are divided among the group. You then have to go to the library or google for information and then copy and paste :eek: I caught one of my classmate plagiarizing! Each paragraph was in different font sizes! It was hilarious!
You'll have so much stuff to do during the first 2yrs, the last thing that you really want to do is spending a lot of time on PBL, imo.

I suggest make a short list of the deciding factors such as location, tuition...and go from there.

sure PBL is boring and weird for some. however, i really think that different schools run their PBL differently. at IUSD, you go to your lectures while having to attend 2 sessions of PBL per week every other week.

now, most of the cases that we cover will basically bring about things that you should have picked up from the lectures. you do have other knowledge gaps which you are to go and research and come up with how they work etc.

personally, when i 1st started IUSD, i absolutely hated PBL. by now i know what i need to do to do well and know ehere to look for information. i still disslike PBL because it takes 6 hrs of my time (every other week). but then you are using that 6 hours to kinda study what you should know.

IMO, PBL can be helpful in times and if you go about it the right way, you should benefit from it.

if PBL is the reason why you wont attend a certain school then you are mistaken my friend. this is what crosses my mind when i compare NYU Vs. IUSD:

1. cost NYU ~300k+ IUSD ~200k+
2. 275 students at NYU class 100 students at IUSD class
3. i have heard that if you are in the bottom 20% of the class, they will kick you out of NYU.
4. cost of living (i pay $450 for a 3 bdrm house :) )

those alone should help you which to pick.

PERFECT3435 said:
sure PBL is boring and weird for some. however, i really think that different schools run their PBL differently. at IUSD, you go to your lectures while having to attend 2 sessions of PBL per week every other week.

now, most of the cases that we cover will basically bring about things that you should have picked up from the lectures. you do have other knowledge gaps which you are to go and research and come up with how they work etc.

personally, when i 1st started IUSD, i absolutely hated PBL. by now i know what i need to do to do well and know ehere to look for information. i still disslike PBL because it takes 6 hrs of my time (every other week). but then you are using that 6 hours to kinda study what you should know.

IMO, PBL can be helpful in times and if you go about it the right way, you should benefit from it.

if PBL is the reason why you wont attend a certain school then you are mistaken my friend.

Trust me! It sucks, my friend! It's the same thing at my school, 1 PBL session per week. We even have final exams for PBL.
"most of the cases that we cover will basically bring about things that you should have picked up from the lectures" that's what exams are for, not PBL!
They give you symptoms of Diabetes Mellitus/Insipidus, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Dentinogenesis Imperfecta, Petite/Grand Mal seizures, hypo/hypertension, to premed or not to premed....and you come up with the diagnoses, adding 2 and 2 together.

Base on your post, you're not even sure PBL is helpful. You don't even like PBL either! Why am I wrong? :confused:

Believe me my friend when I say: you'll need those 6hrs this semester through the next year, and you could die from boredom during the 3rd yr! I really hate to say I told you so!

Btw, I didn't say don't pick the school because of PBL program, check the post again my friend.

I agree. Based on price alone, I'd go with IU. It would fun to live in NYC for four years, but wait until you graduate. I'm sure they need more dentists there.

PERFECT3435 said:
4. cost of living (i pay $450 for a 3 bdrm house :) )

I didn't realize the cost of living in Indy was so much cheaper. I pay $500+/Month and have a 7 X 9 foot room. Thank God I'm never there.

Zurik5 said:
I agree. Based on price alone, I'd go with IU. It would fun to live in NYC for four years, but wait until you graduate. I'm sure they need more dentists there.

I disagree with this statement completely. Now is the time you want to explore other cities. 4 years in NYC was perfect for me. Wouldn't these 4 years be the perfect opportunity to kill 2 birds w/ one stone to live and go to school in NYC? And no, just like Chicago, NY doesn't need more dentists...

Pi__Guy1 said:
I disagree with this statement completely. Now is the time you want to explore other cities. 4 years in NYC was perfect for me. Wouldn't these 4 years be the perfect opportunity to kill 2 birds w/ one stone to live and go to school in NYC? And no, just like Chicago, NY doesn't need more dentists...

I know, I was joking, and I agree with you, to a point. I would much rather live in New York/Chicago than in Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, etc.. But I don’t think it’s work $100K + for me. Personal choice, I guess.

trust me, i am not saying Indy is all that much fun. i grew up in Los Angeles. so i know all about the city etc etc.

the fact is, you are going to school to study. you really dont have to be in NY, CA, Indy. you should go wherever you think is best for you.

PERFECT3435 said:
3. i have heard that if you are in the bottom 20% of the class, they will kick you out of NYU.

That is not true at all.....
They don't kick out the bottom 20% of the class. You get kicked out if you fail 4 classes a year or if you fail 3 classes, retake them in the summer and still do not pass. If you fail, it's your own fault.
It's not that difficult to pass courses at NYU.

I love these X vs. Y school discussions.

I graduated NYUCD '02. Loved the experience. Had tons of clinical experience. Did about +50 C+B, 8 Full dentures, 10-12 partials, tons of extractions, not much endo only 2 molars since ENDO thought they should handle it. T'x plan and restored 3 implants. Loved the variety of patient pool, all economic background, all nationality. Hated the tuition, but it's all worth it at the end. Great investment in terms of experience. Passed the California board and Nevada board...in large part due to my clinical experience at NYUCD, making great a living with my wife in Vegas. THanks NYU!!!

pn229 said:
I graduated NYUCD '02. Loved the experience. Had tons of clinical experience. Did about +50 C+B, 8 Full dentures, 10-12 partials, tons of extractions, not much endo only 2 molars since ENDO thought they should handle it. T'x plan and restored 3 implants. Loved the variety of patient pool, all economic background, all nationality. Hated the tuition, but it's all worth it at the end. Great investment in terms of experience. Passed the California board and Nevada board...in large part due to my clinical experience at NYUCD, making great a living with my wife in Vegas. THanks NYU!!!

Here is something i find so weird.

A majority of pre-dents knock the school, many in the student population complain about the school, yet it seems like every alumni I talk to love's the school. Seems backwards. Maybe its not until life after graduation that you realize all they do here for the students?

I know about 20 kids in my class alone that their parents were alumni from here and essentailly made them go here.

Just thinking out loud

pn229 said:

This is what I'm talking about.
I think people dislike NYU for its price and its large class size. Those are the only negative comments I've heard.
The positive comments are their readily available clinical cases, the technology, and the actual education. In my opinion, that is worth it.

To be honest with you guys...I hear a lot of negatives from this forum about NYUCD...and I am quite mad about it. Sure, there are people who did not like the school. However, in practice, NYU alumni loved having been to the school. I have had friends who bitched and moaned during school. When they started practice, they were very well prepared from the experience they have had. I had my fair share of problems with the school. Some instructors..especially OS are asses. However, most are quite great. I have had some instructors I truly admire for what they have taught me and inspire me to be the best dentist I can be. In terms of the money, I am doing fine paying off the debt. My parents did not help me with tuition, but hey, I love taking care of myself and knowing I am where I am at due to my endurance and hard work. By the way, most NYUCD alumni passed CAl board in 1 try (class 2001 and 2002) They are also very sucessful in their position.

pn229 said:
To be honest with you guys...I hear a lot of negatives from this forum about NYUCD...and I am quite mad about it. Sure, there are people who did not like the school. However, in practice, NYU alumni loved having been to the school. I have had friends who bitched and moaned during school. When they started practice, they were very well prepared from the experience they have had. I had my fair share of problems with the school. Some instructors..especially OS are asses. However, most are quite great. I have had some instructors I truly admire for what they have taught me and inspire me to be the best dentist I can be. In terms of the money, I am doing fine paying off the debt. My parents did not help me with tuition, but hey, I love taking care of myself and knowing I am where I am at due to my endurance and hard work. By the way, most NYUCD alumni passed CAl board in 1 try (class 2001 and 2002) They are also very sucessful in their position.

I fight for NYUCD tooth and nail on here and I think I have put the majority of rumors to rest.

It would be nice if you hung around here and helped me clear up mis-conceptions about the school.

Hi I am new to this forum and am currently a D4 at NYU. I dont know what Brocnizer2007 is talking about as I read his posts on defending NYU. If he is actually a student here or a part of the administration himself trying to defend the school, so they can do what they do best and that is kick out students and take their money, career and life away. Just as example in the recent Nexus publication it said NYU graduates 300 dentists a year. Well taking that into consideration, if you go look on the website http://www.nyu.edu/dental there you will see for Brocnizer's class of 2007 they accepted 268. And then they take in about 125 advanced placement students. As per the math I do, 268+125 does not equal 300! And you can go on and say that people flunk themselves because here in this school if you fail 3 courses within a year, you get the boot. Now, you may say to yourself: how can people fail 3 classes. Well it is very easy. When averages in classes are high, they purposely make the future exams HARD. You are on your own here, you cannot trust any of you classmates or help eachother out without doubting them because in the scheme of things because their good scores can be the difference whether or not you pass or fail a course. What kind of professional school fails that many students. Yeah you probably hear of a few every year at other dental schools. But NOT here. A professional school should stick by its students through thick and thin. And NOT point the finger at them, when they fall down. That is what they do here. Appeals dont do nothing when u get thrown out, mentor groups are useless and everything they try to tell you at the INTERVIEW is a load of crap. So if any of you come to NYU for an interview and you hear other dental students say DONT come here, believe me they have a story to tell you. Granted I am graduating from here, but believe me these have been the worst years of my life. First year was a challenge and definitely stressed me out. And then second year I almost was a nervous wreck, because at the end of second year they give students the boot as well to finalize the number of students going to D3. I was a nervous wreck and contimplated suicide because I would be over $150,000 in debt and out on the streets. And my family is not that well off. We are middle class and I could not put that burden on them. So please make your decision wisely when choosing a dental school.

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to PM me.

4 classes you get the boot. Three you remidiate

Why is it people like you complain so much, when there are people like myself and my friends that do not see this problem at our school. We study and pass the exams and thats it

As for making exams harder as you go along...you probably didn't study enough or the wrong material. I study 2-3 days before exams and always make a B

It sounds like you have some issues and will end up committing suicide later in life

Brocnizer2007 said:

Why is it people like you complain so much, when there are people like myself and my friends that do not see this problem at our school. We study and pass the exams and thats it

As for making exams harder as you go along...you probably didn't study enough or the wrong material. I study 2-3 days before exams and always make a B

It sounds like you have some issues and will end up committing suicide later in life
I'm normally behind you, Broc, and think it's great that you defend NYU...but this is pretty insensitive & judgmental. :thumbdown:

Brocnizer2007 said:

Why do we complain??? I think I speak for most of the students here. Whether or not you admit it, people are fearful here. And there are TOO MANY students being let go each year, can you explain that? Are you telling me that each year when they let go that many students that all of them slacked off. Even besides academics here, as Broc you may know in your very own class they let go of two students last year just because one of them signed the other in during conference (recitations) for attendance in Physiology. Two students got thrown out because of an attendance sheet. And that is FACT, how come you forgot to mention that in all of your posts about NYU Dental. Talk about ethics that the Dean and the Administration try to boast around here. Im curious to see how many students they hold onto this year's incoming class and then 2nd year. Dont worry Broc, Im glad I found this site, you can keep defending the school and I will continue to state the facts whether it is good or bad. But most of it is unfortunately BAD.

ToothGuy05 said:
Why do we complain??? I think I speak for most of the students here. Whether or not you admit it, people are fearful here. And there are TOO MANY students being let go each year, can you explain that? Are you telling me that each year when they let go that many students that all of them slacked off. Even besides academics here, as Broc you may know in your very own class they let go of two students last year just because one of them signed the other in during conference (recitations) for attendance in Physiology. Two students got thrown out because of an attendance sheet. And that is FACT, how come you forgot to mention that in all of your posts about NYU Dental. Talk about ethics that the Dean and the Administration try to boast around here. Im curious to see how many students they hold onto this year's incoming class and then 2nd year. Dont worry Broc, Im glad I found this site, you can keep defending the school and I will continue to state the facts whether it is good or bad. But most of it is unfortunately BAD.

Seems like most of your griping is about administrative crap...and I do admit, some of the things they do upstairs (ie: nursing merger) is shady. However, I have no complaints about anything I will learn in clinic. All I have to gripe about is having too many patients. Clinical skills, IMO, is the most important thing I want to get out of dental school. And I think coming out of NYU I will definitely see a lot of cases. But I must agree, the exams seem to be getting harder compared to 1st year...,.or maybe it's b/c I don't study harder....apathy sets in...

This is just my two cents, but I would much rather attend school in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, etc than New York. I guess it all depends on how safe you would feel in a city like that. I like knowing that when I walk around downtown that I won't be mugged or hassled my countless bums asking me for money that I don't have. Plus, I would get very distracted with all that there is to do in NYC and would have a hard time focusing on my studies. Also I would hate having a class that size. Just my opinion, and everybody has different ideas - something to think about though. :thumbup:

NYU sucks! I would close down the dental school and turn it into NURSING school so that you all can be MD's b****es :thumbup:

lnn2 said:
NYU sucks! I would close down the dental school and turn it into NURSING school so that you all can be MD's b****es :thumbup:

LOL, yes Im sure the Nursing school has something to do with money. I love how Dean has sent out responses on this issue that Broc has been posting up. Did you get anything from them. Its all sugar-coated crap with no real good explanation on why the merger is actually taking place. I was over-hearing people talk about this in the elevator the other day, and one guy was mentioning that Dean Alfano was a visionary and turned around this school....blah blah ....and more blah. The only thing they see is $$$.

ToothGuy05 said:
LOL, yes Im sure the Nursing school has something to do with money. I love how Dean has sent out responses on this issue that Broc has been posting up. Did you get anything from them. Its all sugar-coated crap with no real good explanation on why the merger is actually taking place. I was over-hearing people talk about this in the elevator the other day, and one guy was mentioning that Dean Alfano was a visionary and turned around this school....blah blah ....and more blah. The only thing they see is $$$.

Dean Alfano is a visionary. He is strict in his academic policy and will crack down on cheaters. If you can't pass your class after a certain chances given to you, you do not deserve your degree. Dental school is tough for a reason. IF one cant make it academically, one does not deserve the DDS degree. Dean Alfano made big changes with the school. He upgraded the facility, brought on new faculties, heavy handed on cheaters, and reached out no alumni either with receptions or NEXUS. He represents the school very well, and the degree you'll get will reward you tremendously after you graduate. I once was a bitter student, I once had difficulties with classes...but I never cheated, I persevered and graduated with great pride. You sound very bitter...you need to look inside yourself and ask...why did I have such a hard time. Is it because the staff are purposely trying to get of me, or because I have not studied or used my time effectively. The students at NYU are friendly. I remebered in the 3C/D clinic I loved the friends I made. We helped each other and became a very close group. I hope you too will find that closeness once while in the fourth year.

I hate to say it, but Dean Alfano in reality is a crook. Just as the recent example of the merger with the Nursing school. He didnt tell the students or ask their opinion of what they think about it. After all the student body counts too! Also, there was suppose to be a meeting at the Hyatt Hotel Ballroom where the NYSDA was going to address this issue. What did Dean Alfano do? He just gave them lip service and told them they weren't going to merge the schools, so the meeting with NYSDA was called off. However, with the meeting held on Tuesday as Broc also mentioned he said the merger was going to go through. Hmm...... Some Visionary, yet absolutely NO real reason why the two schools should merge.

Also, judging by the amount of tution we pay them, I KNOW the facilicities could be better. Where is the money going? You could say faculty, well judging by the faculty to student ratio in the labs, I dont think it is going there. Then lets look at other places in the school, what a cafeteria we have and the beat down clinics. I wonder where the money is going, with that larges sums of tuition and so many students. I am bitter because of the fact that there is NO one to help you up in school if you slip. If you slip, you are done here, no hope, done with your career. What I learned towards the end of my freshman year, which was loooonnng ago, was that a NYU acceptance is not a real acceptance until you get through it all. It can prove to be quite scary if you dont make it through, such as in my case, I had my BS in Biology, how could I pay off $75000 if I didnt make it the 1st year. How about $150000, if I didnt make it through 2nd year. Biology aint gonna pay off that loan. Also, people here on this forum mention Upenn and other schools being super expensive. Upenn will graduate 99% of its class unless students decide to leave on their own. I am sorry every year failing 40 students. I dont think there is anything wrong in my study habits. I think that is the school's FAULT for failing that many students YEAR AFTER YEAR. I am so glad I am going to be done with this god forsaken school in matter of months. I cannot believe you can stick up for this school, after we all know what really goes on here.

ToothGuy05 said:

not to defend anyone or call someone else a liar, but stories like these were exactly why i was sorry i even applied to NYU. there are way too much else to worry about than me being worried about how they will kick me out.

i love indy now. :laugh: yaaaay

ToothGuy05 said:
Also, judging by the amount of tution we pay them, I KNOW the facilicities could be better. Where is the money going? You could say faculty, well judging by the faculty to student ratio in the labs, I dont think it is going there. Then lets look at other places in the school, what a cafeteria we have and the beat down clinics. I wonder where the money is going, with that larges sums of tuition and so many students. I am bitter because of the fact that there is NO one to help you up in school if you slip. If you slip, you are done here, no hope, done with your career. What I learned towards the end of my freshman year, which was loooonnng ago, was that a NYU acceptance is not a real acceptance until you get through it all. It can prove to be quite scary if you dont make it through, such as in my case, I had my BS in Biology, how could I pay off $75000 if I didnt make it the 1st year. How about $150000, if I didnt make it through 2nd year. Biology aint gonna pay off that loan. Also, people here on this forum mention Upenn and other schools being super expensive. Upenn will graduate 99% of its class unless students decide to leave on their own. I am sorry every year failing 40 students. I dont think there is anything wrong in my study habits. I think that is the school's FAULT for failing that many students YEAR AFTER YEAR. I am so glad I am going to be done with this god forsaken school in matter of months. I cannot believe you can stick up for this school, after we all know what really goes on here.

Dear God. were YOU damn near failing? you seem to incessantly sympathize with the people that HAVE failed out. i personally have failed one class (the infamous systems pathology fiasco of last year). Yes, I am mentally effected by it, but it seems like you have been traumatized by failure! lol. Chin up! you are about to graduate. You WON'T be one of those paying back $75000 that didn't make it out of 1st and 2nd year. I'll stick by my post 6 months ago. If you fail out of NYU, you deserve to...

I will always defend the honor of my alma mater..why...because it has brought me to where I am today. I have the clinical skills I have, the integrity i have, the pay I have...because of the EXPERIENCE I gained from NYUCD. Stop gripping. In the real world life is rough. You wont have ideal patients, ideal cases, ideal instruments, ideal insurance....but you deal with it. That's what NYU taught me. No one will hold your hand and double check your prep or provide you with a new 556 with each patient or provide you with an interproximal amalgam carver. Toughen up and move on. Make the best of your situation and grow on it. Bitching and moaning wont do much. Use the positives at NYU and grow....it'll make you happier...if not richer.

pn229 said:
I will always defend the honor of my alma mater..why...because it has brought me to where I am today. I have the clinical skills I have, the integrity i have, the pay I have...because of the EXPERIENCE I gained from NYUCD. Stop gripping. In the real world life is rough. You wont have ideal patients, ideal cases, ideal instruments, ideal insurance....but you deal with it. That's what NYU taught me. No one will hold your hand and double check your prep or provide you with a new 556 with each patient or provide you with an interproximal amalgam carver. Toughen up and move on. Make the best of your situation and grow on it. Bitching and moaning wont do much. Use the positives at NYU and grow....it'll make you happier...if not richer.

Im not here to validate or argue what Toothy is saying about NYU cause Im not a student there, but the experience you said you gained at NYU could be gained at plenty of other dental schools in the country at a fraction of the cost.....that my friend would "make you happier....if not richer" ;)

LSR1979 said:
This is just my two cents, but I would much rather attend school in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, etc than New York. I guess it all depends on how safe you would feel in a city like that. I like knowing that when I walk around downtown that I won't be mugged or hassled my countless bums asking me for money that I don't have. Plus, I would get very distracted with all that there is to do in NYC and would have a hard time focusing on my studies. Also I would hate having a class that size. Just my opinion, and everybody has different ideas - something to think about though. :thumbup:

New York City is not like that. I walked around New York as a teenager by myself, and was never afraid. This might have been a bad idea in East New York, The Bronx, etc, but not Manhattan.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Im not here to validate or argue what Toothy is saying about NYU cause Im not a student there, but the experience you said you gained at NYU could be gained at plenty of other dental schools in the country at a fraction of the cost.....that my friend would "make you happier....if not richer" ;)

BadVibes
NYU is expensive...but...I believe NYUCD provided the necessary experience a lot of schools cant offer. NYU patient pool is huge, and diverse. You lose one patient, you have others who will be available YOu deal with severely immunocompromised patients. You deal with and become sensitive to the different ethnicities of NY. In some school in California I have been told by alumni that students had to advertise for patients to complete their requirements. Additionally, some students had to pay for their patients' balance in order for them to get cases delivered. Yes, NYU is expensive...I currently pay 1,600 a month for my total student loan for the next 12 years. BUt the interest is very low. I make $850(base)- $1000 a day as an independent contractor. This year it will be $245,000. I have a beautiful home, a gorgeous wife, and a great circle of friends in LAs Vegas. I attribute my sucess for the most part to my school NYUCD!!!

Remember, I didnt say EVERY school, but MANY schools will give you the exact same experience but for WAYYY less money

Dr.BadVibes said:
Remember, I didnt say EVERY school, but MANY schools will give you the exact same experience but for WAYYY less money

Holy crap. Dr. Badvibes, I just checked your public profile. You average 3.50 posts PER DAYYYYYY. Wow! I mean, you gotta really try to maintain that 3.5 average. Nicely done! Please tell me you still have time to call your mom on Sundays...

I would recommend the University of Kentucky. I am a second year here and am so happy that I chose this program. We have plenty of patients, get a broad scope of dentistry, and the tuition is cheap ( $15,000 per year instate 30,000 if you are out of state. We have small class sized (54 in mine) and graduate ~95% of the students that come to this school. Why in Gods name would anyone want to go to a school that fails so many people. I can understand if you live in the area or if thats the only school that you got accepted into. Besides that, I don't know.

pn229 said:
BadVibes
NYU is expensive...but...I believe NYUCD provided the necessary experience a lot of schools cant offer. NYU patient pool is huge, and diverse. You lose one patient, you have others who will be available YOu deal with severely immunocompromised patients. You deal with and become sensitive to the different ethnicities of NY. In some school in California I have been told by alumni that students had to advertise for patients to complete their requirements. Additionally, some students had to pay for their patients' balance in order for them to get cases delivered. Yes, NYU is expensive...I currently pay 1,600 a month for my total student loan for the next 12 years. BUt the interest is very low. I make $850(base)- $1000 a day as an independent contractor. This year it will be $245,000. I have a beautiful home, a gorgeous wife, and a great circle of friends in LAs Vegas. I attribute my sucess for the most part to my school NYUCD!!!

Oh yes, ~$300,000 for a DDS, that can only afford one instructor per 15 students. Yes I certainly know where my money is going now. Look, we treat patients here in D3 and D4. If they charge that much tution, you would think they would have a row instructor per say 5 students. And with that kind of tution they charge we should have an assistant as well. But NO, we teach ourselves here. Word around the school, if you heard or just in your NYU world, is that you teach yourself here. It is SELF-TAUGHT Dentistry here. And then they expect you to know it as an expert too, because that is the way they test here. Dont worry Badvibes, me being a graduate in a matter months can tell you, that you made a wise decision in going to Temple.

Pi__Guy1 said:
Holy crap. Dr. Badvibes, I just checked your public profile. You average 3.50 posts PER DAYYYYYY. Wow! I mean, you gotta really try to maintain that 3.5 average. Nicely done! Please tell me you still have time to call your mom on Sundays...

There are people with 10,000+ posts!!! No kidding. I wonder who has the most post on SDN?

Pi__Guy1 said:
Wow, I guess that sure shows nerds like BadVibes & me how much cooler you are. Why don't you start threatening people with swirlies to finish the job?