IUFD, incomplete abortions, retained products

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coffeebythelake

I'm not a word-mincer
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had a patient other day with large amount of retained products x4 months after a previous d+c. Not heavy on OBgyn in my daily practice, so perhaps some of you can give guidance on this. at what point do you consider getting DIC labs, or is this more dictated by patients clinical situation..? Is there even any value in getting them without clinical ssx?
 
If you’re considering a neuraxial for D&C and someone has had retained products for 4 months I would go ahead and get coags. If the patient is hemorrhaging or septic and you can’t wait long enough for coags to come back, then just do GA.
 
Had a patient other day with large amount of retained products x4 months after a previous d+c. Not heavy on OBgyn in my daily practice, so perhaps some of you can give guidance on this. at what point do you consider getting DIC labs, or is this more dictated by patients clinical situation..? Is there even any value in getting them without clinical ssx?
How did she present? I am imagining pretty stable because if it’s been four months and the body hasn’t reacted, then maybe at this point it is not going to react. DIC and sepsis are not going to take four months to present.
You said no symptoms. How did they discover that she had retained products four months later? Bleeding? Foul discharge?
Never hurts to get coags on a patient you plan on doing neuroaxial with tho.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How did she present? I am imagining pretty stable because if it’s been four months and the body hasn’t reacted, then maybe at this point it is not going to react. DIC and sepsis are not going to take four months to present.
You said no symptoms. How did they discover that she had retained products four months later? Bleeding? Foul discharge?

Persistent discharge which prompted ultrasound by obgyn. Outpatient.
 
If you’re considering a neuraxial for D&C and someone has had retained products for 4 months I would go ahead and get coags. If the patient is hemorrhaging or septic and you can’t wait long enough for coags to come back, then just do GA.

No way I would do neuraxial on a patient like this.
 
I'd GA this patient regardless of bloods. She isn't wanting to be awake while they suction necrosed placenta/her miscarried child out of her... seems unnecessarily cruel to do a neuraxial
 
I'd GA this patient regardless of bloods. She isn't wanting to be awake while they suction necrosed placenta/her miscarried child out of her... seems unnecessarily cruel to do a neuraxial
Fully agreed. Physiologically necessary and psychologically appropriate aren’t always the same thing
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Chronic compensated DIC is an entity and retained products of conception are a known cause. I'm not intimate familiar with it but I wouldn't make the assumption you're going to see her hemmorhaging out her eyeballs if she has DIC

1.PNG