IV sedation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc-10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you get certified in this by doing a GPR? What specialties (besides OMFS, I assume they all do) train residents in IV sedation?

Members don't see this ad.

dc-10 said:
Can you get certified in this by doing a GPR? What specialties (besides OMFS, I assume they all do) train residents in IV sedation?

Like the previous poster said, GPRs can certify you in this.

I'm thinking that some pedo residencies also train in this.

Members don't see this ad :)
What medications do dentists usually use in practice for sedation, Fentanyl and Versed?? I would imagine OMFS would use this in the hospital setting but do they use benzo's in the office setting? Fent and VSD are pretty much the standard in the hospital for concious sedation.

dc-10 said:

All specialties Don't. GPR does, AEGD doesn't necessarily. OMS obviously does. Perio does in most instances. Pros does not. Ortho does not. Endo does sometimes, depends on the endo program. Almost all GPRs do, but make sure you ask the program director first to be sure, because you may get screwgied if you don't.

TucsonDDS said:
What medications do dentists usually use in practice for sedation, Fentanyl and Versed?? I would imagine OMFS would use this in the hospital setting but do they use benzo's in the office setting? Fent and VSD are pretty much the standard in the hospital for concious sedation.[/QUOT
]
The same

dc-10 said:
I think that it depends on where the program is located. I am a perio resident and we do alot of I.V. sedations. However, in Mass. I know that the law is very strict so it is hard to do sedations in the office. In our clinic we use versed and demerol or fent. I think I.V. sedation is a good and safe service to the patient and should be used more often for the apprehensive patient.

I totally agree. These sedation meds can be reversed so quickly if needed and as long as the right equiptment and qualified personel are available sedation is a great tool for apprehensive patients. However, I have seen concious sedation go bad a few times requiring intubation. However this was generally due to patients getting a little too deep and not maintaining their airways and aspirating.