I've finally made it to the OR... Any words of wisdom to share?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New CA-1 here. We have til September to read Baby Miller cover to cover (then move on to a big text book, i.e. Miller/Barash/Longnecker, etc). Suggestions on pulling this off and actually absorbing the material in an efficient manner?

Thanks

If you read it like a novel, you are wasting your time. I just hate the term "reading". To me it implies, you just roll through it like To Kill a Mockingbird in junior English and you learn anesthesia.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you read it like a novel, you are wasting your time.

True.

I'm reading airway management chapter currently. I figure that's probably the most important. Also typing up notes of the important stuff.

I figure I'd do this, then go into pre-op assessment since our Monday lecture will be on that. I should also briefly go through outpatient stuff since i got that starting Monday.

Maybe I'm still doing it wrong (no sarcasm intended)... and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Fair enough!

I may be biased...at our place, docs label under the hashmarks, nurses label around the base. I once called out an attending that trained elsewhere and told him to quit labeling his syringes like a nurse. Oops.

I always thought the smarter people label longitudinally under the hashmarks. Nobody did it at my residency program but me. I could be biased.

Once I've completed the requisite training to be a OMFS I'm bringing the 1950's back. I'll be the surgeon and the person I'm treating will be my patient. How would they know what is better than me for the type of surgeries that I will train for in a residency program? They went to nursing school to be a nurse; which, is a profession centered on the goal of assisting the principal professionals in carrying out their duties.

You are a rookie.

It is centered on paperwork & a firm belief that 36hrs/week including lunch is a full time job.

Don't get in fight with nurses. They always win. They know how to screw you & they will.

True.

I'm reading airway management chapter currently. I figure that's probably the most important. Also typing up notes of the important stuff.

I figure I'd do this, then go into pre-op assessment since our Monday lecture will be on that. I should also briefly go through outpatient stuff since i got that starting Monday.

Maybe I'm still doing it wrong (no sarcasm intended)... and any advice is greatly appreciated.

You will be fine. 98% of what I know is either from being an active participant here or an observant med student. Once you trust yourself to be the patient's doctor, you will have made the leap.

Outpatient: Use low flow DES, give two antiemetics to every patient, give ketorolac to every patient that you can, if you can't give IV Tylenol during the last 30 minutes of the case. Never give more than 20mg of roc at a time when rebolusing paralytics. Usually just give 10mg. It will be "effective" for 30 minutes or so and never goon you too bad. Reverse every patient you give a non depolarizer. An LMA is like a mask. They should be spontaneous or on pressure support. You can pull them early or let the patient pull it in PACU. Just turn off your gas, turn up your flows, bundle the patient up and get your butt out the door for the most part.

Re: Baby Miller

I read that thing a few times. I made notecards of the first 11 chapters (whenever the pharm ends). Very high yield stuff in there. I learned a lot more from actually doing cases and reading specific to my patients. Did very well on ITE this year. You pick up on the preop assessment, outpatient surgery stuff as you go. Good luck. Just finished my last CA-1 shift. On to CA-2 tomorrow.

Good luck on CA-2 year!

Thanks Bob and DrBeaker for y'all's suggestions and pointers. Greatly appreciate them!

Do you think it will be enough to go through Baby Miller a few times and takes note/do questions from hall etc? I am scared of the big textbooks lol. Plus I have jensons' big blue which will help for high yield. I just started CA-1 too :p

Do you think it will be enough to go through Baby Miller a few times and takes note/do questions from hall etc? I am scared of the big textbooks lol. Plus I have jensons' big blue which will help for high yield. I just started CA-1 too :p

You should open the big texts this year too. No reason to be scared of them, why are you? Our reading assignments on day 1 were from Barash.