I've gotten the same (low) score on both bsce2 and cbse from my school. Does this mean I'm stuck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scaredaboutsteps

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten the same (low) score on both bsce2 and cbse from my school. Does this mean I'm stuck?

My school offers two NBMEs in the last term of MS2 and I got a raw score of 74 in both even though I read a lot after bsce2 before cbse.

I feel a little scared but I am starting dedicated tomorrow so I pray to improve.

Did anyone also take a cbse and how did your score correlate to your actual step score.

Members don't see this ad.

CBSE 5/5/16 score: 52 (lol too low to calculate)
CBSE 1/3/17 score: 69 (195)
CBSE 2/27/17 score: 76 (215)
STEP1 4/14/17 score: 230

Last edited:
Sorry man you're screwed nobody improves during dedicated study! Best of luck to you as a family med doc in idaho!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry man you're screwed nobody improves during dedicated study! Best of luck to you as a family med doc in idaho!

FWIW a family doctor in rural Idaho probably makes 600k per year lol

Reactions: 7 users
CBSE 5/5/16 score: 52 (lol too low to calculate)
CBSE 1/3/17 score: 69 (195)
CBSE 2/27/17 score: 76 (215)
STEP1 4/14/17 score: 230
How did you feel the step 1 compare to cbse in difficulty? Also thought it was only 2 times per year?

How did you feel the step 1 compare to cbse in difficulty? Also thought it was only 2 times per year?

To me STEP1 felt exactly like doing 8 sequential uworld blocks. Same coverage, same level of difficulty. Others may disagree. I didn’t do any NBMEs bc I ran out of time and my classmates told me they were weird and not that much lol me STEP1 Questions.

To me STEP1 felt exactly like doing 8 sequential uworld blocks. Same coverage, same level of difficulty. Others may disagree. I didn’t do any NBMEs bc I ran out of time and my classmates told me they were weird and not that much lol me STEP1 Questions.
Would these be harder than the cbse overall? Just gauging bc I'm studying as if I'm taking step 1 but taking cbse

When we did out basic science shelf, my school showed us a graph of how scores generally change from the first basic science shelf before any dedicated study to Step 1. Generally, people's scores go up by like 20-30 points. So if your basic science score before studying was like a 210, most people would score like a 225 to 240 on Step 1.

I don't know what your step goals are, but it sounds like you're in a good place!

I can't really tell if this is sarcasm or not. That's how scared I am.

When we did out basic science shelf, my school showed us a graph of how scores generally change from the first basic science shelf before any dedicated study to Step 1. Generally, people's scores go up by like 20-30 points. So if your basic science score before studying was like a 210, most people would score like a 225 to 240 on Step 1.

I don't know what your step goals are, but it sounds like you're in a good place!

My step goal is a 250+ but I don't see how possible it is at this point.

I can't really tell if this is sarcasm or not. That's how scared I am.
My step goal is a 250+ but I don't see how possible it is at this point.

Its certainly not impossible. The real question is, to me, what is that ~210 on the cbse after? have you done some uworld? have you used pathoma and FA extensively?
as a reference, my "baseline" cbse was higher than 250 - but this was after a year of doing thousands of step 1 Qs and using pathoma daily - so it was hardly a baseline.
if 210 is a legit baseline for you then with the right strategy you should definitely clear a 230, have a good shot at 240, and possibly even a 250. just work your butt off. gl

Its certainly not impossible. The real question is, to me, what is that ~210 on the cbse after? have you done some uworld? have you used pathoma and FA extensively?
as a reference, my "baseline" cbse was higher than 250 - but this was after a year of doing thousands of step 1 Qs and using pathoma daily - so it was hardly a baseline.
if 210 is a legit baseline for you then with the right strategy you should definitely clear a 230, have a good shot at 240, and possibly even a 250. just work your butt off. gl
Thanks for the encouragement.

The 210 was after some FA chapters (about 3 - 4 systems) , I didn't do pathoma, and about 600ish uworld questions.

I'm just gonna try hard and see if I really can get 250+, that'd be a miracle haha.

My school offers two NBMEs in the last term of MS2 and I got a raw score of 74 in both even though I read a lot after bsce2 before cbse.

I feel a little scared but I am starting dedicated tomorrow so I pray to improve.

Did anyone also take a cbse and how did your score correlate to your actual step score.
No, you are fine. The largest gain comes during dedicated period. Continue to study, take NBME's every week or so and keep working on your weak areas.

Last edited:
No, you are fine. The largest gain comes during dedicated period. I scored 70 and 74 in March and May before taking Step 1 in June and scoring in the 245-250 range. Continue to study, take NBME's every week or so and keep working on your weak areas.

wow. that's a pretty huge jump from 74 in May to high 240s in the next month. I hope I can achieve that too.

Just a quick question about the NBMEs, I have the offline versions of 12 through 18 (except 14), do you recommend me still buying them online so that I can get a score and subject analysis from NBME or do I just do them all offline?

wow. that's a pretty huge jump from 74 in May to high 240s in the next month. I hope I can achieve that too.

Just a quick question about the NBMEs, I have the offline versions of 12 through 18 (except 14), do you recommend me still buying them online so that I can get a score and subject analysis from NBME or do I just do them all offline?
A lot of things come together in synergy during the dedicated period. NBMEs online is better, you want to take it like the real exam, exact timed, to gauge your progress and weak areas. At least use online for the first few, if possible. Also, if you look at the step 1 thread where people post their NBMEs, you can see many of them improving significantly during the dedicated period.