Why does ERAS have a separate category for [Accepted] and [In-Press] publications, don't they mean the same thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

Title says it all

Members don't see this ad.

Probably because the people who designed ERAS have no conception of what goes into the publishing process, as evidenced by all of the other confusing options they have when it comes to publications.

Yes, they mean the same thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
"In press" is further along, and "accepted" is right after you get the email notification.
I could be wrong but "in press," in some journals, may allow people to access the publication online. I imagine this would matter for some PD's who may want to take a peek at the publication before it is finally published.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"In press" is further along, and "accepted" is right after you get the email notification.
I could be wrong but "in press," in some journals, may allow people to access the publication online. I imagine this would matter for some PD's who may want to take a peek at the publication before it is finally published.

Would you happen to know if there is a spot in ERAS to upload papers that are accepted but not published?

You can't upload any papers or publications, of any type. You list them on your CV. That's it.

And it's much too late to do anything at this point. Rank lists are due in 48 hours. I expect all programs are done and not looking back.

Reactions: 1 user
You can't upload any papers or publications, of any type. You list them on your CV. That's it.

And it's much too late to do anything at this point. Rank lists are due in 48 hours. I expect all programs are done and not looking back.

I’m a third year student lol. Just planning ahead and trying to find out more information for a smooth 4th year!

If a publication is available online, applicants should just list it in the "published" category. It's ridiculous that ERAS puts abstracts into the publications section, but accepted full manuscripts go into the "submitted" section. I listed all my accepted papers into the published section, and just wrote "in press" in my citation.

Not really. Anything that is actually published online will have a DOI and often a PMID, so you are able to give a full reference which ends with “online ahead of print.” That is still published.

Not really. Anything that is actually published online will have a DOI and often a PMID, so you are able to give a full reference which ends with “online ahead of print.” That is still published.
It gets confusing, though, when the final, paginated version has a different year than the OnlineFirst one. (And for some weird reason, my institution only counts articles that have been published in their final, paginated form for annual merit, so you sometimes get "credit" for an article two merit years after it was accepted).

It gets confusing, though, when the final, paginated version has a different year than the OnlineFirst one. (And for some weird reason, my institution only counts articles that have been published in their final, paginated form for annual merit, so you sometimes get "credit" for an article two merit years after it was accepted).
True. But when that happens in the midst of an academic dry spell it’s kind of nice to get a “bonus” for work that I did a year ago 😅

It's a little different that doesn't matter to residencies. Accepted means that the paper has been accepted and is going to undergo copy editing and formatting. Once it's edited and formatted and sent to the publisher, then it's in press. Then it's published once it appears in a volume. Online publishing has changed these definitions a bit as the "in press" time is less and once the paper is accepted, it often goes on quickly to the online published version.