I've improved the AMCAS/AACOMAS GPA Calculator Spreadsheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayjaystudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Click the link below to view the improved GPA Calculator, and then search (using CTRL+F) for the word "calculator" on its webpage:

https://www.reddit.com/r/premed/comments/5gc2ri/welcome_to_rpremed_heres_our_faq/

EDIT (01/25/2020): The calculator has been moved to Reddit since my SDN account will now be deleted because I am no longer allowed to posts meme and jokes here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
I've been meaning to go back and work on this a bit - I'm glad someone forked it! One suggestion - I would add back in the GPA portion with the conversion tables - the reason I went out and made a calculator in the first place is most of the schools I've attended give out numerical grades not letter grades, and none of the other options out there had that.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I've been meaning to go back and work on this a bit - I'm glad someone forked it! One suggestion - I would add back in the GPA portion with the conversion tables - the reason I went out and made a calculator in the first place is most of the schools I've attended give out numerical grades not letter grades, and none of the other options out there had that.

Thanks for the feedback! I added the table back and made a note in the instructions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like this new version; it is so beautiful. How do I make one of the years longer? My sophomore year is very long because I switched schools. S0 basically I want sophomore year to be like 30 cells long. Any help anyone? :)

Just FYI - it doesn't matter what you decide (or your school decided I should say), AMCAS sets a number of credits for each year and that's how they figure it out. So credits 1-12 (I don't remember the exact numbers I'm just throwing fake #'s out) is freshman, 12-24 is soph, etc.

But just insert a line and drag down any formulas

Reactions: 2 users
I really like this new version; it is so beautiful. How do I make one of the years longer? My sophomore year is very long because I switched schools. S0 basically I want sophomore year to be like 30 cells long. Any help anyone? :)

The yellow column (which uses a formula) automatically figures that out for you. However, if you want to assign the Classification yourself, you can override the formula by typing in the classification in the yellow column. And Make sure to use the correct spelling and capitalization of letters as seen on the graph.

Just FYI - it doesn't matter what you decide (or your school decided I should say), AMCAS sets a number of credits for each year and that's how they figure it out. So credits 1-12 (I don't remember the exact numbers I'm just throwing fake #'s out) is freshman, 12-24 is soph, etc.

From the 2014 instruction manual p.38

Freshman (FR): 0-32 semester hours
Sophomore (SO): 31-64 semester hours
Junior (JR):61-96 semester hours
Senior (SR):91+ semester hours

Thank you Maverick and Ayjaystudent!!

I totally forgot about the credit number assigned p year. I will keep this in mind and NOT change the cells' formulas.

Excellent tool! I do have a recommendation, though.

If I'm remembering correctly, AACOMAS includes many more classes in their sGPA calculation (Nursing classes, for example). It might be beneficial to have a column in addition to BCPM that allows for AACOMAS science courses to be marked.

Thanks again for the excellent tool!
-LD

Just copy the sheet and have an aacomas and an Amcas sheet - then just put x's in any classes that fall into bcpm. You'll want two anyway to keep straight the differing gpas due to retakes

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Excellent tool! I do have a recommendation, though.

If I'm remembering correctly, AACOMAS includes many more classes in their sGPA calculation (Nursing classes, for example). It might be beneficial to have a column in addition to BCPM that allows for AACOMAS science courses to be marked.

Thanks again for the excellent tool!
-LD

Thanks for the recommendation! I just found out that Math courses don't count towards AACOMAS Science GPA calculation, but it does count for AMCAS.
For this reason, I have updated the Calculator. There is now a separate column for AMCAS BCPM and AACOMAS BCP.

Feel free to use it and let me know if you have new feedback/concerns.

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE!!!!

I also just want to add that if you're using a grading system that uses "pluses" or "minuses" and you had a B+, you'll probably get an incorrect result. The original Excel File from 2014 (which the current spreadsheet was based from) is assigning 3.5 as a value for B+. It should be 3.3. This was brought to my attention by one user. I have now updated the Spreadsheet to reflect the conversion from AMCAS's pdf file.

Feel free to download if your grading system was using plus/minuses. Otherwise, your grades should have been fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any guidance on where to add graduate work?

Graduate work stays the same as it is. It never gets combined with undergraduate GPA and it has its own section.

The reason there's an undergraduate calculator is because it's very common for Pre-meds to take undergraduate classes from multiple institutions. Aggregating them with a calculator helps in the process.

Well it was improved just in time ;)

Its sad that they stopped allowing grade replacement so suddenly. It crushes so many people

Reactions: 1 users

Do you know how college courses taken while at high school factor into this? Would those be the official starting point for the AMCAS freshman year? I know that they have a row dedicated to high school.

EDIT: Nevermind. I guess I'll use the EXCEL to do HS first then add cells for freshman to fit in.

"2. Other Courses
Many high school students take other types of college-level courses either independently or through special programs offered by their high school. Courses may be physically taken at the high school or at a college, depending on the program, but should be listed on the application under the name of the college.

You must contact the college involved to determine transcript availability prior to completing the application. If a transcript from the college is available, it must be forwarded to AMCAS and courses must be listed in the Course Work section of your application. If letter grades and credit hours are listed on the college transcript, these courses will be included in AMCAS GPA calculations, even if they have not been transferred to the primary undergraduate school or used towards a degree. These courses do not require any Special Course Type, unless otherwise appropriate. The Year in School for such courses is "High School".

If a transcript is not available from the college, do not send high school transcripts to AMCAS. Instead, the registrar’s office of the college should forward an official letter with an AMCAS Transcript Request Form attached indicating that no transcript is available due to institutional policies. The Transcript Request Form can be found in the Transcript Requests section of the application."

Last edited:
How would you enter P/NP courses into the calculator? And are the numbers in the credit column corresponding to quarter units or semester credits? Column H Row 6 of the 3rd file, I think the formula is messed up: is it supposed to be this? =Summary!H6

Last edited:
How would you enter P/NP courses into the calculator?
You don't have to include it OR you can just put "P" in the Grade column. They do not affect the cumulative GPA (unless if "Not Pass" which is the equivalent of a Fail).

And are the numbers in the credit column corresponding to quarter units or semester credits?
Read the instructions on the first tab.

Column H Row 6 of the 3rd file, I think the formula is messed up: is it supposed to be this? =Summary!H6
I suggest downloading a fresh copy because you could have accidentally edited the formula. Multiple people have tested file, and tons of people are using the file without any problems.

I updated our GPA Calculator. The link to it is on the very first post of this thread.

Notable changes include:
  • Reflect AACOMAS new policy
  • Improved Summary
  • Less Tabs
Hope ya'll Enjoy. As always, PM me for any errors, bugs, and suggestions you have. And if you want to be notified of continued updates, subscribe to this discussion thread.

How do you designate a class as freshmen, sophomore etc?

If it's still based on my original, it's done automatically based on AMCAS designations (they don't care about anything other than the number of credits, and have "buckets" you fill and they assign class designation)

So just enter courses chronologically top to bottom?

So just enter courses chronologically top to bottom?

Yes and it should automatically designate for you. Read the instructions on the first tab. It says that if the cell is red, do not touch it because there's a formula. Just make sure you've entered the appropriate items (e.g., credit hours/units) in the green column.

I'm such an Excel noob. Can someone reupload this spreadsheet with around 75-100 rows for classes? Thanks!

I'm such an Excel noob. Can someone reupload this spreadsheet with around 75-100 rows for classes? Thanks!
Read the instructions on the first tab. It has more than 200 rows.

does the AACOMAS gpa in this spreadsheet reflect the new grade replacement policy? I have retaken 2-3 classes, and now that both systems count all grades in the gpa, both AMCAS and AACOMAS gpa's should be similar no? but i'm still getting an aacomas gpa that's way higher than the amcas one though.

Hey im definitely new to this forum and amcas gpa calculator. I downloaded it and entered in all my grades and credits earned. However, now the "Amcas weight-grade point conversion" and "quality points" columns along with the point and gpa totals are not calculating at all. A "#N/A" is showing on all of the boxes and I'm confused from this point forward. Any advice on what I can do to fix this error? Thanks.

Hey im definitely new to this forum and amcas gpa calculator. I downloaded it and entered in all my grades and credits earned. However, now the "Amcas weight-grade point conversion" and "quality points" columns along with the point and gpa totals are not calculating at all. A "#N/A" is showing on all of the boxes and I'm confused from this point forward. Any advice on what I can do to fix this error? Thanks.

Do the instructions "again" on the first tab. However, this time, use "Make A Copy" option.

Yea..hey I was actually referring to the older version on excel. I have downloaded three different versions of the same thing but keep running into the same troubles. Like I said all my grades and credits have been entered, just trying to figure out why the "automatically entered" columns are not working properly. Thanks.

Yea..hey I was actually referring to the older version on excel. I have downloaded three different versions of the same thing but keep running into the same troubles. Like I said all my grades and credits have been entered, just trying to figure out why the "automatically entered" columns are not working properly. Thanks.

Sorry, your'e having trouble. I suggest looking for a different calculator or creating your own!

Send me a PM with a copy of your file and I'll fix it. N/A means there is likely something other than a number stored in one of the calculated fields.

Hi,

I have a quick question. For "W," withdrawal grades and "NC" no credit and "P" passing courses how do incorporate this in the excel spreadsheet without having an error sign in the red column. Also the courses were semesters not quarters, does this matter?

Hi,

I have a quick question. For "W," withdrawal grades and "NC" no credit and "P" passing courses how do incorporate this in the excel spreadsheet without having an error sign in the red column. Also the courses were semesters not quarters, does this matter?

They are not counted in the overall GPA, and your GPA should remain the same. You should not see any error. (See example image below)
a.jpg

Hi guys,

A mentor sent this to me and told me to fill it out, so this is my first time seeing it .I don't want to overwhelm him with a bunch of questions. Where is the instruction guide? I cannot find it.Here are my questions if anyone can kindly explain them to me, I'd extremely appreciate it :)
1. Can I fill out the yellow and dark boxes? or just the green boxes?
2. I took many classes during my undergraduate due to the quarter systems , so can i just simply insert a box without messing up the calculations?
3. on a separate note, is there a link to what classes AACOMAS consider to be science courses?

Thanks so much

Hi guys,

A mentor sent this to me and told me to fill it out, so this is my first time seeing it .I don't want to overwhelm him with a bunch of questions. Where is the instruction guide? I cannot find it.Here are my questions if anyone can kindly explain them to me, I'd extremely appreciate it :)
1. Can I fill out the yellow and dark boxes? or just the green boxes?
2. I took many classes during my undergraduate due to the quarter systems , so can i just simply insert a box without messing up the calculations?
3. on a separate note, is there a link to what classes AACOMAS consider to be science courses?

Thanks so much

1.) The instructions are on the first tab. There are 2 tabs on that spreadsheet.
2.) Do not insert boxes. There's more than enough boxes even if you took 300 undergraduate classes. Read the instructions on the first tab.
3.) Click on "Verification and Calculating Your AACOMAS GPAs": AACOMAS Application Instructions and FAQs

I have two questions, but first of all thank you so much for providing this! I'm sure it took a lot of time to perfect and I appreciate that.

1. Would a HSCL personal fitness and wellness course count as a science course for AACOMAS?

2. My first 28 credits automatically went towards my freshman year, when the next course in line was a 3 credit course. Wondering why that didn't file in in as freshman upping the credit count to 31? Here is my chart to clarify.

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 12.54.45 PM.png

I have two questions, but first of all thank you so much for providing this! I'm sure it took a lot of time to perfect and I appreciate that.

1. Would a HSCL personal fitness and wellness course count as a science course for AACOMAS?

2. My first 28 credits automatically went towards my freshman year, when the next course in line was a 3 credit course. Wondering why that didn't file in in as freshman upping the credit count to 31? Here is my chart to clarify.

1. You can consult AACOMAS Course Subject Guidelines (click here) to figure out if a course can count as science.

2. Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior designation are classified according to the total number of units completed (per AMCAS rules). However, you can override this in the calculator by typing "Freshman" in the cell. Just make sure to you proper uppercase/lowercase in the spelling, so it can be picked up by the graph.

Last edited:
Hi! Thank you so much for this tool - loving it!

Would a full summer class (ie not a 5 week compressed summer class) count as a quarter class? It was 3 months long from may to august and a full semester course I know to be like 4 months aug-dec or jan-may. Thanks!!

Also, it does not appear to differentiate, but does the AMCAS care what type of math class you took... it looks as though they consider any and all Math courses towards the science GPA.

I took some very intro Math classes as refreshers on basic skills when I first started university... I just feel almost guilty counting those As towards my science GPA :p

Ok another question, I know the AACAMAs and AACOMAs are looking at undergraduate GPAs primarily and that is the function of the GPA calculator.

BUT if that is the case, what is the purpose of us entering "POST BAC" GPA into the calculator? Also, POST BAC includes courses we completed towards a masters we received? Just trying to get a grasp on all this new terminology.

Would a full summer class (ie not a 5 week compressed summer class) count as a quarter class? It was 3 months long from may to august and a full semester course I know to be like 4 months aug-dec or jan-may.

If your school does semesters for fall and spring, then your school does semestral system for its entire school year including the summer. If your school does quarters, then the summers are in a quarter system too.

Also, it does not appear to differentiate, but does the AMCAS care what type of math class you took... it looks as though they consider any and all Math courses towards the science GPA.

Send an email to AMCAS or AACOMAS. This is more specific that only they can answer. The calculator online is just an "estimate".

BUT if that is the case, what is the purpose of us entering "POST BAC" GPA into the calculator?

So you can see your post-bacc performance mainly.

Last edited:
If your school does semesters for fall and spring, then your school does semestral system for its entire school year including the summer. If your school does quarters, then the summers are in a quarter system too.

Send an email to AMCAS or AACOMAS. This is more specific that only they can answer. The calculator online is just an "estimate".

So you can see your post-bacc performance mainly.

Thank you!

Hi,

Is it possible for the cumulative GPA calculated through this to be lower than the GPA listed on my transcript/academic history from school, or did I do something wrong?

I went to a quarter system school if that makes any difference, and wanted to calculate my GPA after adding some semester post-bac classes that I performed well on.

I took some very intro Math classes as refreshers on basic skills when I first started university... I just feel almost guilty counting those As towards my science GPA :p

These Math classifications are considered "math" to AAMC: Applied Mathematics, Biostatistics, Mathematics, Statistics
Only courses that you actually get credit for I believe count. So remedial classes that are 0 credits dont count. You should, if you haven't already consider taking Calculus I because some physics courses are based on calculus. Depending on the school some are algebra based (you can ask them to make sure)

Ok another question, I know the AACAMAs and AACOMAs are looking at undergraduate GPAs primarily and that is the function of the GPA calculator.

BUT if that is the case, what is the purpose of us entering "POST BAC" GPA into the calculator? Also, POST BAC includes courses we completed towards a masters we received? Just trying to get a grasp on all this new terminology.

Post bacc are courses taken after you've already earned a Bachelors Degree.

Calculus I because some physics courses are based on calculus. Depending on the school some are algebra based (you can ask them to make sure)

Thank you! <3 All the classes provided credit and I received As in them so that is good news.

I did complete a science major Calculus I with a lab at a major university so that is done. The Physics I am taking is NOT a calculus based Physics class - checked with DO school and they said it didn't matter which Physics I took.

Thankfully I was a Math Tutor for a while in undergrad (funny how life comes full circle!) so I did gain a strong grasp for math and use it regularly as an RD.

Hi,

Is it possible for the cumulative GPA calculated through this to be lower than the GPA listed on my transcript/academic history from school, or did I do something wrong?

I went to a quarter system school if that makes any difference, and wanted to calculate my GPA after adding some semester post-bac classes that I performed well on.

It's possible, and likely. Some schools treat a B+ as a 3.333, while AMCAS considers it a 3.3. Also AMCAS treats an A+ as a 4.0, not a 4.3. I believe quarter system is calculated slightly different in this, not sure though, I haven't used quarter system.

Hi guys,
I have JUST discovered that I did a major error to my spreadsheet. PLEASE HELP! (sorry for capitalizing it. I"m just freaking out)
I took classes at a quarter-system college during my own post bac year. So do I checkmark "quarter" column and "post bac" column? or just "post bac" column? Cause throughout this entire time, I was under the impression that you only checkmark "quarter system" for undergraduate courses
Please help! thank you so much

Hi guys,
I have JUST discovered that I did a major error to my spreadsheet. PLEASE HELP! (sorry for capitalizing it. I"m just freaking out)
I took classes at a quarter-system college during my own post bac year. So do I checkmark "quarter" column and "post bac" column? or just "post bac" column? Cause throughout this entire time, I was under the impression that you only checkmark "quarter system" for undergraduate courses
Please help! thank you so much

You check both.