Ivy League Med School ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slam

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages, if any, of attending an "ivy league" med school such as Columbia?

Does "ivy league" have any meaning in med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

you get to pat yourself on the back.
then there's a lot of research money...
that's all i can think of right now

I don't think there's a real emphasis on Ivy League medical schools like there is on Ivy League colleges. There is, however, an emphasis on top ten med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of them are great med schools, but I think the main advantage is that your MD degree has a nice name emblazoned on it. Its impressive to non-medical people, but I think its not a huge deal within the medical community; we all know that there are equally good medical schools which are not ivies.

but rankings are not the end all be all.
i think the name Dartmouth carries a lot more weight than its ranking so it is actually a highly respected school, in the real world, to people who haven't memorized u.s. world and news report rankings.

plus dartmouth isn't a huge research school which is why it's not that high in the rankings based on RESEARCH med schools. and it has a tiny class.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by oldman:
•dartmouth is ivy league, and look at where it is on the rankings.•••••