Ivy League Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheatbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the Ivy League distinction matter at all in medicine? - i.e. does coming from an Ivy League school help you earn your desired residency more than other medical schools traditionally considered top tier? The reason why I ask this is the lowest ranking Ivy League medical schools, Brown & Dartmouth, have really strong match lists relative to their ranking.

Regardless, I was referred to a site called Ivy League Feeders that offers placement information to Ivy League Medical Schools, which is a good source of information for college applicants. I just thought I would share that as well.

Members don't see this ad.

does coming from an Ivy League school help you earn your desired residency more than other medical schools traditionally considered top tier?
No it does not

No unless you want to go into consulting or finance after which I am not sure why somebody would go to medical school for that

To answer your question, they have strong match lists because Ivy League inbreeding is real and people who attend the schools you mentioned are more likely to have attended Ivy League undergrads and thus have influential parents. Up until like 2000 or something brown didn’t even take non Ivy League grads

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed a lot of medical leaders in the field though when to Ivy League medical schools or were more likely to have go to those 7 than other top medical schools like dr fauci, ashish ja etc even celeb docs like dr oz

Ivy League medical schools can provide additional networking opportunities/prestige, but that is the main advantage. It is more important to choose a medical school that aligns with your future career goals rather than Ivy League status.

Reactions: 1 user
The only ones who will say they go to an Ivy League medical school are someone who didn't go to an ivy league undergrad. In real life, ivy league is only a concept for undergrad. If you didn't get a bachelor's degree from an ivy league school, you are not really an ivy leaguer. The real bond in an ivy league education is the curriculum at their undergrad. It's kind of cliquey and peculiar in each ivy school. That's certainly not the case in their graduate and professional programs. Also, I found people saying that they go to an ivy league school, instead of saying I go to X school, super obnoxious.

Last edited:
The reason why I ask this is the lowest ranking Ivy League medical schools, Brown & Dartmouth, have really strong match lists relative to their ranking.
Possible explanations for this (and they aren't mutually exclusive):
1. Reading match lists is folly.
2. The rankings are hot garbage.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Regardless, I was referred to a site called Ivy League Feeders that offers placement information to Ivy League Medical Schools, which is a good source of information for college applicants. I just thought I would share that as well.
The only people who care about ranking are status-obsessed pre-meds and medical school Deans

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
They open a lot of doors implicitly and you'll have a much easier time during residency interviews. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't gone through the residency interview process. If you go through an applicant spreadsheets as a fourth year medical student from an ivy league medical school, you'll realize how privileged you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My research lab partner from college, many years ago, was a brilliant MD/PhD. He became a professor at Brown And is the only one in his department that didn’t go to either Brown medical school or Brown residency program. He referred to it as the most “incestuous” place he has ever been.

Yes the Ivy League schools give you more opportunity, especially in networking across the top schools and medical residency programs, Providing a distinct advantage of Match. The discrepancy of the highly regarded match lists of Brown and Dartmouth clearly show the rankings are a bunch of horsesh*t.

For premeds, using Match lists as a factor in choosing a medical school is sheer folly. 80% of Applicants get no choice in medical school, either by being rejected or by getting a single acceptance. Only after an applicant has had multiple acceptances, Should they really consider the strength of any department within the medical school and therefore the possible strength of networking and placement into residency. And even that is below the half a dozen factors such as location, cost, Housing, curriculum style grading style, And the myriad of other things that should be considered beforehand
One of our clinician colleagues said that "there's more inbreeding at Brown than in an Alabama trailer park".