ivy league

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the big wand

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out there are public ivy universities. Yes, I'm learning... :p Are they more difficult to get in since the tuition may be cheaper, compared to private ivy leagues?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a bit confused as to what universities you are referring. Please let us know. It is my understanding that the Ivy League was formed as an athletic conference much like the Pac-10, Big-10, Big East etc. It was created to promote the common athletic interests of schools that already shared common academic goals. The only schools that participate are Brown, Colombia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale. Today the term "Ivy League" is associated with a superior education due to the fact these universities make up some of the original centers of higher learning here in the states. In addition they are small, private, tend to attract superior faculty and many donations from wealthy alumni. In regard to public Ivy Schools you may be confused when people refer to schools as the "Ivy of the West" etc. This is done to indicate that it is perceived a given school offers an education on par with the eight Ivy League schools. For example UC Berkeley may be called Ivy of the West. Stanford may also fall into this category. Washington University in St. Louis, Tufts, the Pomona schools, also have also been labeled "Ivy League" caliber at times. However, my understanding may be wrong and I would love to hear to what institutions you are referring

Members don't see this ad :)
There are only eight Ivy League schools (the "ancient eight") and J2AZ has listed all of them.

Cornell is partly public....something like two of it's schools are co-run with SUNY, but otherwise, the ivy league is all private.

Perhaps the OP is referring to a book that came out a number of years ago called "the public ivies", which was a list of the best public universities in the country (i.e. UC Berkely, UVA, Michigan, as well as some slightly lesser known ones, such as Pitt, and SUNY Binghamton). The title was basically a marketing ploy to underscore the point of the book: that you can get a great education at a public school for a lot less money than you'd spend at a genuine Ivy. While the schools listed above are all well-respected and would probably look good on a dental/med school app, or a resume, they are not literally part of the ivy league.

The competitiveness ranges at these schools, although generally they are easier to get into than a "real" ivy, but more difficult than other, less reputable, schools. Does that help?

How about Murray State University in Kentucky? Is it famous for its agriculture program? Just curious... :)