Where should I apply? Should I try an ivy league?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iluvmycat

Reaction score
Does anyone have any additional schools they would recommend for me to apply to? Do you think I'd have a chance for interview invite at any ivy league? Not 100% sure if I'll want to specialize in the future but definitely want to keep the option open.

Date of submission: will submit in early June
Overall GPA: 3.80
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA, 20TS, 19PAT, 26RC, 24BIO, 17GC, 20OC, 18QR
State of Residence: ND

Major: biology
Minor: leadership
Minority? no
Reapplicant? no
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience:
~100 hrs in general and specialty practices
Volunteering Experience: ~90 hrs as a mentor / tutor for underprivileged children
Employment: ~1000 hrs as a dental assistant, also worked PRN at a nursing home
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: vice president of dental club at my school for the past two years
LOR type and strength: 2 from science professors (unsure of strength), 1 from a dentist I assist (very strong letter), 1 from humanities professor
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: no red flags that I can think of...
School list:
(most are apart of WICHE): UNLV, Minnesota, Creighton, UNMC, Iowa, Marquette, Midwestern AZ, A.T. Still AZ, Colorado, Roseman, LECOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm doubtful your DAT or hours will get the attention of Ivy League dental schools from what you have provided. What sticks out to you in your activities that you feel should get the interest of any "Ivy" dental school? Have you been networking with students at those programs?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doubtful your DAT or hours will get the attention of Ivy League dental schools from what you have provided. What sticks out to you in your activities that you feel should get the interest of any "Ivy" dental school? Have you been networking with students at those programs?
No, I have noticed most of my stats are inbetween regular and ivy league schools from using the ADEA explorer, so I just thought it would be a reach. Overall, I think my application will prove I am a well-rounded student and person. I asked on here to see if it would be worth attempting.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's only worth it if you feel you would really belong at those schools. You need to cut through the general "myths" and see if you would indeed be happy given the locations, emphasis on research (possibly), pressure to specialize (possibly), and/or focus on the community. There's not enough in the WAMC description to figure this out (I can't tell if you're well-rounded so you haven't proven it here), but as someone involved with a predental club, you should be able to connect with those admissions offices and ASDA student officers to figure this out. It's not going to be just about the metrics.

No, I have noticed most of my stats are inbetween regular and ivy league schools from using the ADEA explorer, so I just thought it would be a reach. Overall, I think my application will prove I am a well-rounded student and person. I asked on here to see if it would be worth attempting.
I don't think it would be worth attempting, and don't really think they are the price anyways imo. but I would say the same of the various private schools on your list

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it would be worth attempting, and don't really think they are the price anyways imo. but I would say the same of the various private schools on your list

Do you have any schools you recommend I add then? Most of the ones on my list so far are in the WICHE agreement with my state so if I am awarded that, I will get ~28k off tuition per year

I'm okay with your geographically-centered list of schools. Don't sneeze at an automatic $28K discount. I'm not sure about other schools unless you know there were people from your school or state that matriculated at those schools. But you have to know why that is that one would not take the $28K discount.