J.D. and orthopedic residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSUTigerdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on whether or not having a law degree would help in applying for ortho residency.

Members don't see this ad.

HAH, a true gunner. Already have some doctor's names in mind you are planning on suing? Nothing like planning for the future.

On a more serious note. Thats a lot a friggin years, just to be competitive for ortho. Perhaps doing some research would be more valuable than earning another graduate degree. Although, that is one hell of a way to impress.

I went to law school prior to coming to medical school. I want to practice orthopedics and not law. I just don't know how helpful that will be when ortho programs look at my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming all other things on par (usmle, gpa, etc), in my opinion it might get you one or two extra interviews from curious program directors. They might be interested in hearing your story, and seeing what your all about. I mean Law and ortho are opposite poles. Other big question would be, if you left law, will you do the same to one of their programs. I would definently think you would be an asset to a physican practice. Your commitment would probably be the only downside, while curiosity might open some doors. You definitely has some good conversation material, so I think it would likely be an advantage having a law degree.

spyyder said:
Assuming all other things on par (usmle, gpa, etc), in my opinion it might get you one or two extra interviews from curious program directors. They might be interested in hearing your story, and seeing what your all about. I mean Law and ortho are opposite poles. Other big question would be, if you left law, will you do the same to one of their programs. I would definently think you would be an asset to a physican practice. Your commitment would probably be the only downside, while curiosity might open some doors. You definitely has some good conversation material, so I think it would likely be an advantage having a law degree.

This guy spyyder has no clue what he is talking about. I wouldn't put too much stock in what a first year med student at a Caribbean school has to say about applying to orthopaedics residencies or what he/she thinks that a PD would think of an applicant.

Because orthopaedics is so competitive and applicants have to start working on their application early, with externships, studying for Step 1, etc. all applicants are presumed to be committed and dedicated. This is evidenced by the extremely low attrition rate among orthopaedics residents.

The number one factor that affects # of interviews is Step 1. This has been shown over and over. If you want to check out an interesting article try:

Bernstein et al. Orthopaedic Residency-Selection Criteria. JBJS 84-A, Nov. 2002. P. 2090

The top 3 criteria are 1) Externship, 2) USMLE, 3) Med school rank. Numbers 4-6 are all about the interview.

I think that being an attorney will make you memorable and interesting to talk to and these can be the 'X-factor' that makes you stand out. But to be competitive, you have to remember to hit #1-3 above.

Hope this helps,

Thanks a ton. That really does help. I guess my next question would be a matter of appropriate time. I am a second year medical student and am about to take Step I in June. At this point should I wait until after I get my scores to go speak with members of my home ortho department about observing and doing research? I guess I'm just wondering if I will have more credibility if I get a competitive board score to get in on some research.

LSUTigerdoc said:
Thanks a ton. That really does help. I guess my next question would be a matter of appropriate time. I am a second year medical student and am about to take Step I in June. At this point should I wait until after I get my scores to go speak with members of my home ortho department about observing and doing research? I guess I'm just wondering if I will have more credibility if I get a competitive board score to get in on some research.

Start now. Research is a slow-going process and you have to get invovled early to get anything meaningful done. If you are in your third year before you begin, you are a bit behind. It's Febuary now, so you can get 5 months worth in before June.

Meet with your faculty, maybe help write up a case report, crunch some data or sift through charts. A lot of research is grunt work and there is plenty to go around. Lots of institutions have things like that that are already going and they are good for medical students to jump onto.

But by all means, get involved, but make sure that you are finishing up your classes and studying enough for Step 1. Those things are important too.

Hope this helps,

Hey LSUtiger,

Having a law degree will definitely help you for the Ortho application, given that you follow what Mosquito mentioned in his/her post. Having a good Step I is key, as most programs that I interviewed at last year had a step I cut off of 220-230. I think 225 gets tossed out alot as a cut off for a lot of programs. Doing well in your 3rd year medical school and esp. surg and medicine rotations. Having honors in your ortho rotations is expected, doing a couple of aways in ortho is also expected. Getting solid letters will help alot, esp. if one of them is from an away place (shows that you can impress your home program and away programs). Do some research, it will improve your app. Having pubs will be great but not expected. Oh, about the letters, in my personal opinon, getting a ok-good letter from a very big name orthopod is better than getting an outstanding letter from a no name ortho attending. (just my opinon) Because alot of the places that I interviewed at mentioned one of my letter writters all the time because he was very well known, even though, I think his letter was the weakest of the 3 (I was able to read my letters).

Also, one other thing I can rec is that use your law degree as something that can seperate you from the rest of the pack. Mention in your personal statement, how you want to go into orthopedics and with your law background, you would like to affect change in the future regarding health care issues esp relating to the field of orthopedics and end up doing academic medicine. (something along this line and I am sure you can come up with more b.s. than me) This way, your law degree will give you an advantage, instead of saying "oh, I have a law degree, but it was just because I didn't know law was not for me..." I know if this is not what you intended, but I can tell you that Ortho is very very competitive, you need to use everything you have in your advantage, and be able to play the "game". Once you secure a spot, you can do what ever you want with your future. :D