Hey LSUtiger,
Having a law degree will definitely help you for the Ortho application, given that you follow what Mosquito mentioned in his/her post. Having a good Step I is key, as most programs that I interviewed at last year had a step I cut off of 220-230. I think 225 gets tossed out alot as a cut off for a lot of programs. Doing well in your 3rd year medical school and esp. surg and medicine rotations. Having honors in your ortho rotations is expected, doing a couple of aways in ortho is also expected. Getting solid letters will help alot, esp. if one of them is from an away place (shows that you can impress your home program and away programs). Do some research, it will improve your app. Having pubs will be great but not expected. Oh, about the letters, in my personal opinon, getting a ok-good letter from a very big name orthopod is better than getting an outstanding letter from a no name ortho attending. (just my opinon) Because alot of the places that I interviewed at mentioned one of my letter writters all the time because he was very well known, even though, I think his letter was the weakest of the 3 (I was able to read my letters).
Also, one other thing I can rec is that use your law degree as something that can seperate you from the rest of the pack. Mention in your personal statement, how you want to go into orthopedics and with your law background, you would like to affect change in the future regarding health care issues esp relating to the field of orthopedics and end up doing academic medicine. (something along this line and I am sure you can come up with more b.s. than me) This way, your law degree will give you an advantage, instead of saying "oh, I have a law degree, but it was just because I didn't know law was not for me..." I know if this is not what you intended, but I can tell you that Ortho is very very competitive, you need to use everything you have in your advantage, and be able to play the "game". Once you secure a spot, you can do what ever you want with your future. 😀