j1 visa-gap in contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

L123c123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed my prelim surgery year on a J1 visa this June.

I managed to secure a PGY 2 cateorical surgery position just before the end of my prelim year. Since this happened late, I was given a mid-July start date in the contract. And it is at a different program.

I have applied for a J1 visa (continued sponsorship) for the second year but have not heard back yet (the DS 2019 for my initial J1 visa was issued within a few days). Have been told by ECFMG that this gap is an issue....

Anyone here has had an experience similar to the above scenario---definitely I am not the first one....

Members don't see this ad.

You have a 30 day grace period. After that, you are out of status. Being out of status may impact your future ability to get a visa. Technically, you are supposed to leave the US until your new visa is issued. But I don't know how strict USCIS is about this.

https://j1visa.state.gov/participants/common-questions/

Thanks...I left the US within a few days after completing my internship and I filed my application from outside the US.

I have no idea why this would be a problem. You had a J visa and abided by its rules. You now are applying for a new J visa. The big question is whether the same 2 year HRR attaches, or whether you now have two of them -- I'm almost certain its the former but you should make certain.

Thought I'd post my experience now that I have an answer. Might come in handy for someone on a J1 visa in the future and faces a situation similar to mine.

As per ECFMG the J1 visa sponsorship ends the day your contract ends. I managed to get a new contract a few weeks later, then ECFMG sent my application to the Department of State-this involves two separate fees ($200 and $367)-asking for authorization to continue sponsoring for a J1 visa. My approval took about 2 months to come through.

Also, the time you wait for the approval goes towards your 7 year J1 visa limit.

Hope this information helps someone in the future...