j1 visa issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashraf Alswareah

Reaction score
If one apply for a clinical research position(as a fellow in usa) which takes one year(as ex) , does this year count from the maximum 7 of j1 visa which u 'll need for residency and fellowship or they are separated so for research is there a separated visa for it then you apply for a residency visa or you are supposed to complete all of them (research, residency, fellowship) in 7 years.
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

If one apply for a clinical research position(as a fellow in usa) which takes one year(as ex) , does this year count from the maximum 7 of j1 visa which u 'll need for residency and fellowship or they are separated so for research is there a separated visa for it then you apply for a residency visa or you are supposed to complete all of them (research, residency, fellowship) in 7 years.
thanks in advance
There is one period in that whole paragraph.

let me try to reform what I want to say
the issue is this : img want to get a good spot as resident and to complete a fellowship but all what you have is 7 y maximum (assuming that img will get J-1 I'm most cases ) but in order to get that good spot you will need a good research experience (and if I get lucky to get research opportunity as fellow ) which will take 1 y (as ex) does this year will count from the maximum 7? or they are separated
if they are separated can one apply directly after finishing the research or there are a rule of waiting to apply to second j1 visa
I will appreciate your valuable inputs
thanks in advance

sorry to bother you
when one convert its catagory from research to ecfmg, the year in research will be considered from the maximum 7 years?

Did you read the attachment in the post above? It specifically answers your question, plus explains the entire process of changing from one type of J visa to another. As I put in my post above, the last bullet point in the letter answers your question. It says:
If a change of visa category is approved, ECFMG sponsorship is limited to the specific training/timeframe requested in the original request. Any deviation from the original training plan, including subspecialty training, must be approved through formal request to and review by the DOS

So your question is incorrect. Your initial research J is good for a maximum of 5 years. If you switch to a clinical J, regardless or how many research years you have used, your J will be good for the length of your clinical residency only. If you wish to pursue fellowship training, you will need to formally request further extension of your visa, which is at the discretion of the DOS.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for the clarification and the great information
after that do you think it is a good idea! or does it worth the risk that you may be get rejected by DOS. the benefits that you will have a good experience which will help me get a competitive fellowship so if i am I risk get off after that That bad for me obviously
so from your experience what advice do you have for me
thanks again ♥️

I don't have any experience with this, so dont have anything to add. Also hard to predict what the DoS will be like years in the future.

Reactions: 1 user