J1 visa/returning after 2 years home : finding a job ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solitarydancer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I'm a medical resident from France, currently studying the steps. I'm planning on doing a Pathology (or IM if I don't get it) residency in the US in two or three years, probably on a J1 Visa.
I'm ok about going back to France for 2 years after my residency/fellowship, but will I be able to find a job in the US after that ?
I mean, what about visas ? Will I have to sponsored by my employer ? What if I want to work in private practice ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Alex.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you can work easily in the states afterwards. Not sure about your other questions though.

If you are not a US citizen, you will need a work visa. Getting one might or might not be easy -- hard to predict what the US's visa policy will be 5-7 years from now.

If your goal is to stay in the US, then you should try to find a program willing to fofer you an H1b visa.

If you don't get an H1 visa for residency (1st option to make your life easier), Getting a job or working visa is not necessarily hard after 2 years in your country ( I was able to do it).
However, the areas and hospitals offering sponsorship are limited. Usually it is in small cities (not as small as J1 waivers) and even if they are in private practice you will have some limitation geographically.
The other option is getting a J1 visa waiver which is harder to get but still possible.