j1 visa waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cage92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can i do a fellowship on a j1 waiver? bcz if i finished general surgery residency in a 6 year ( since img got prelim first then go for a pgy1 categorical if got accepted) and i am interested in a fellowship that need 2 years and my j1 is max 7 year so what should i do? so should go for step3 for h1b visa?

Members don't see this ad.

The waiver position is with the agency providing the job, so AFAIK, no, you cannot do a fellowship. What you can do instead, is work at the waiver job while also doing some research, and apply for the fellowship once your waiver has been completed.

You can't do a fellowship on a waiver, and you can't apply for an H1b after having a J. The solution is usually to ask for an extension of your J, which is usually granted for a situation like this. In any case, your first plan needs to be getting a categorical GS residency. In any case, you should take Step 3 before the 7 year window expires, and many programs require it by the end of the PGY-1 (or 2) year anyway.

I have two visa related questions ( aProgDirector, if you could clarify my doubts, it will be much appreciated):

Q1. During the J-waiver period, I will be under H1B visa, which does not allow me to apply for green card. Can I still show my dual intent and will these three years be part of the six years limit of my H1B visa (3 years+3 years)?

Q2. For the step of obtaining permanent residency, only two options are viable to me: labor certification and national interest waiver (I don't think I will be spectacular...). Which one is more expedite for me to obtain GC? In the case of national interest waiver, a total of five years in MUA or VA are needed before I can apply independently. Will the three years during my J waiver period be counted? Is there a different in speed of obtaining GC via the two options?