J2 visa or TN visa for spouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ranjit_buttar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

My spouse has the option of getting J-2 visa (as I will be on J1 visa during residency and subsequently fellowship) or TN visa (being a citizen). Can you please tell which one is recommended as my spouse is in Software Engineering. Also, if I get J1 waiver and convert into H1 visa, can my spouse convert to H1 or TN too and can work?

Really appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

My spouse has the option of getting J-2 visa (as I will be on J1 visa during residency and subsequently fellowship) or TN visa (being a citizen). Can you please tell which one is recommended as my spouse is in Software Engineering. Also, if I get J1 waiver and convert into H1 visa, can my spouse convert to H1 or TN too and can work?

Really appreciate your help.
If you convert to H1, and your wife then goes on the companion visa for H1 - she will not be able to work. The companion visa for H1B does NOT have authorization for work.

If you convert to H1, and your wife then goes on the companion visa for H1 - she will not be able to work. The companion visa for H1B does NOT have authorization for work.
thanks for your comment.

what if my wife gets her own TN visa or H1B after we get waiver so that we have our own visas rather than companion visa. Also, which one to with with first TN or J2 visa ?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your comment.

what if my wife gets her own TN visa or H1B after we get waiver so that we have our own visas rather than companion visa. Also, which one to with with first TN or J2 visa ?
Can she even get the TN in the first place? Its not necessarily as easy as it seems.

Likely scenario is you do residency on J1, and she goes on J2 companion. She can work. Then you get a waiver and go in H1, and she can either go on the companion(and not work), or try to get a TN or her own H1 etc etc.

yes tn is easy too as she is canadian citizen and has a job in that category..i beleivr with j2 one doesnt need to find job first and then get EAD..some companies want applicants to have EAD to apply.
please anyone else who is knowledgeable in this matter reply too

yes tn is easy too as she is canadian citizen and has a job in that category..i beleivr with j2 one doesnt need to find job first and then get EAD..some companies want applicants to have EAD to apply.
please anyone else who is knowledgeable in this matter reply too

TN needs a job offer already - does she have a job offer in the US? J2 can apply for EAD, and you don't need a job offer. It takes a few months to get the EAD.