Jackson Juice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pietrantonio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other day I happened to notice a short piece on the MJ trial and an Anesthesiologist was on the stand. He was describing how individuals are worried about being anesthesized with propofol because they fear they too could die.

It had me wondering if this will become an increasingly popular concern amongst the patient population who are to undergo surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

The other day I happened to notice a short piece on the MJ trial and an Anesthesiologist was on the stand. He was describing how individuals are worried about being anesthesized with propofol because they fear they too could die.

It had me wondering if this will become an increasingly popular concern amongst the patient population who are to undergo surgery.

This happened a couple years ago. I haven't seen much effect yet.

Well since MJ died over 2 years ago and the trial is winding down, I think it will become a DEcreasing concern. Unless home propofol use by celebrities is on the rise.

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard dr shafer say that and kind of laughed. i've never had a single patient express concern over propofol.

i heard dr shafer say that and kind of laughed. i've never had a single patient express concern over propofol.

Oh I've had TONS of patients ask about it, I just think it's going to die down (sort of like how we're not talking about the hot-of-the-presses Plessy v. Ferguson case).

That's Interesting-I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have at least one pt per day ask me about using it/will they get it/ do I know how to use it etc etc etc

oh i've had patients ask if they were getting it, but they were never worried about it... just curious.

oh i've had patients ask if they were getting it, but they were never worried about it... just curious.

True-but I've definitely had the question, "you aren't going to use any of that Michael Jackson medicine on me, are you?" on multiple occasions...and I respond as always,"Why yes I am, but I know how to use it correctly and safely." I've never had anyone refuse to let me use it or anything along those lines

True-but I've definitely had the question, "you aren't going to use any of that Michael Jackson medicine on me, are you?" on multiple occasions...and I respond as always,"Why yes I am, but I know how to use it correctly and safely." I've never had anyone refuse to let me use it or anything along those lines

I used to get that from patients on a near daily basis when the story was just breaking. Now it's about once or twice a month. Still gives me a chuckle. I just calmly reassure them that I expect them to stop breathing from it. That's why they are breathing oxygen through the mask first and that's why we are using the breathing tube that we talked about. I explain that unfortunately it seems Michael Jackson's doctor wasn't monitoring him and didn't plan for him to stop breathing.

If they ask, I tell patients it's the same drug - the difference is you'll wake up at the end because I know what I'm doing and MJ's doctor was an absolute idiot.

It probably should and would bring to light the extensive training we undergo to get to this point. It's funny that every day I talk to patients their biggest concern is awareness and the reality of the situation is that awareness is so rare that it's almost a non issue but on every patient that we do GA to they stop breathing at some point and it's up to us to notice when this is happening and support their ventilation

Asked about it at least once a day. I approach it as a way to inform and educate the patients about anesthesiologists.

i tell them that its very possible they could die from propofol administered through an IV while unmonitored in their home.

I tell my patients myself that they are going to have the famous propofol ( if they ask which kind of anesthesia they are going to have, especially for MAC cases) and usually we have a nice chat and laugh, together with some education involved.

I get the question once per week or so.

I tell them "MJ chose the right drug but the wrong person to administer that drug. He didn't know what to do when his patient stopped breathing. I plan for my patients to stop breathing and 4-5 patients per day do exactly that."

- pod

i tell them i'm not a cardiologist, this is not your bedroom, you are monitored with modern equipment, and i promise not to text any strippers or leave to pee until you are awake and in the recovery room.

Asked about it at least once a day. I approach it as a way to inform and educate the patients about anesthesiologists.

I like being asked about propofol. It gives me an opening for me to describe what anesthesiologists do. I describe how we monitor our patients and how MJ just had a few comforters in his bed room.

I tell patients who ask about propofol that it is a wonderful medication in the right hands.

Cambie