Jackson Memorial/University of Miami PM&R program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc2md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on the Jackson Memorial PM&R program in Miami, FL? I've done the searches on SDN and found very little. I know it's VERY new (looks like no PGY-4's yet)...but new doesn't mean bad. Did anyone interview there last year? Any word-of-mouth?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I searched all over also, and would like some input as well. the only slightly useful info i found was on the Frieda website, which said that PGY2's work average of 65 hours/week. I believe this is above national average, but could be because they don't have a senior class yet and might go down in the following year. pgy2's in Univ of south florida in tampa work a average of 80hrs/week per Frieds website, so miami's program might actually be less taxing if you want to stay in florida. here's miami's webiste, not very useful though...

http://www.um-jmh.org/chapter.cfm?id=9131

this what i found in another post by "lorarius", hope it helps. I'm currently debating if i want to go there for an interview...

The program just took its first residents this past July. They are still trying to develop the program. I interviewed there last year for the 2006 class. It is a very busy hospital. A negative was the location. It is in the worst part of Miami (or it seemed like it to me), the traffic was horrible, and the housing very expensive. All that being said, they have the potential of being a great program. I am sure they have resolved many of the issues they had. They supposedly work closely with Neurorehab and Ortho. One other thing is they are capable of making their own prosthetic limbs onsite. Also, they are associated with the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for that last post. i believe i've seen that before. i know...worst part of town, longer than typical hours, and expensive housing...YIKES!!!

I interviewed there last year for a 2007 spot. To be honest, I don't remember much. I definitely thought the city was great with a lot to offer. Yes, housing is expensive, but especially if you want to buy; renting was not that bad; a friend of mine (not in the medical field) lives in an apartment in coconut groove really close to the beach and pays around 600 dollars a month.
The program did not look bad at all, it just needs time. I remember them saying that they plan to have 6 residents per class at some point. Yes, residents seem to be kind of busy and had to take call kind of often but, still it wasn't bad. The facilities overall were pretty impressive, including the neuroscience building where they run the miami project, that was pretty cool.
I had 4 or 5 interviews, including the PD and several attendings; they were all very laid back. My feel was that it's not a bad program at all and that they will be in very good shape pretty soon. Hope this helps.

Awesome....thanks!!!

Sorry to resurrect a dead forum. Was hoping someone with more recent experience could comment on pm&r at UMiami? Can't seem to find much info other than some old forum posts.

Sorry to resurrect a dead forum. Was hoping someone with more recent experience could comment on pm&r at UMiami? Can't seem to find much info other than some old forum posts.

Bump. Anyone care to comment?

I can't speak about the program...but I can of the area. Miami is a beautiful place if you have money...it is also ideal if you are single. It has a VERY high cost of living and has a significant crime/drug issue. Jackson Memorial is located in one of the roughest areas of town, and the traffic is pretty bad in the area making it more difficult to commune from a decent suburb. I would be very hesitant to bringing a family to the area.

Both the USF and Jackson Memorial programs are young and not well known regionally. Again, I can't give any specifics about the curriculum and learning experience.

I can't speak about the program...but I can of the area. Miami is a beautiful place if you have money...it is also ideal if you are single. It has a VERY high cost of living and has a significant crime/drug issue. Jackson Memorial is located in one of the roughest areas of town, and the traffic is pretty bad in the area making it more difficult to commune from a decent suburb. I would be very hesitant to bringing a family to the area.

Both the USF and Jackson Memorial programs are young and not well known regionally. Again, I can't give any specifics about the curriculum and learning experience.

Thanks J4pac, good to know. I'm really curious so I think I'll check it out, Miami just sounds so cool.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone..any updates about this program ?? RehabDoc2015 did you end up interviewing with them ?

Hi everyone..any updates about this program ?? RehabDoc2015 did you end up interviewing with them ?

She matched there and is a PGY-2. I haven't seen her around SDN recently. You can try PMing her if you have specific questions about the program.

I am curious specifically what your experience has been with Dr. Irwin. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Hey All! Been a while. Haven't been on here much since finishing med school. I'm a PGY-2 with Jackson/UMiami Rehab and I'd be happy to answer any and all questions about our program. I auditioned here as a 4th year medical student and loved it. Ranked it #1, matched here, and couldn't be happier with my decision. Great people, culturally diverse city, great food, and I'm going to the beach after work today while all my friends are shoveling snow/scraping windshields up north. PM me if you'd like to know more! Even if you end up at another program, you've made a great decision going into rehab! Loving my life right now. Best of luck this application cycle!

Hey All! Been a while. Haven't been on here much since finishing med school. I'm a PGY-2 with Jackson/UMiami Rehab and I'd be happy to answer any and all questions about our program. I auditioned here as a 4th year medical student and loved it. Ranked it #1, matched here, and couldn't be happier with my decision. Great people, culturally diverse city, great food, and I'm going to the beach after work today while all my friends are shoveling snow/scraping windshields up north. PM me if you'd like to know more! Even if you end up at another program, you've made a great decision going into rehab! Loving my life right now. Best of luck this application cycle!

wow, that really sounds like a great program. you must be learning a ton

wow, that really sounds like a great program. you must be learning a ton

The curriculum's actually quite strong. Especially in TBI, spinal cord injury, and MSK/sports. Nothing wrong with enjoying life while undergoing training. Like I said, I'd be happy to discuss program specifics with anyone interested in finding out more.

Hello everyone, I am working on my ranking list and I am thinking about ranking this program in my top 3. I don't know what my chances are since I never got the chance to do my away rotations at Jackson but I did get an invitation to interview. Overall I really liked the program, the hospital and everybody was really welcoming. It looked like a great place to work at. I was just wondering if any residents could help me out with some pro's and cons!
Thanks!

Trying to bump this because they have the new Christinne Lynn center and the thread is pretty old. Anyone have some new insights for UMiami?